Which oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68_early_bay

Reaction score
Not engine oil :tongue0013:

Now the bus is mobile and packing a few more ponies from the new engine I'm going to treat the gearbox to an oil change, (I'm going to put it over my mates pit, so it's level for re-filling)

So my question is what oil am I to use ?

Hypoid Gl4 ep80 or ep90?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE-LIGHT-HYPOID-GEAR-OIL-EP-90-5L-LITRE-GL4-0172-/131075346959?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item1e84b3120f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'll make sure I can get the filler plug out before the drain :mrgreen:

Cheers :mrgreen:

This is what I use:
1-liter-synpower-gl-4-sae-75w-80-500x500.JPG

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Gearbox-oil-Lodexol-80w-90-1-litre-5-ML007_act_shop.product_pID_58023358.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You dont need to spend a fortune on gearbox oil, any 80/90W GL4 will do the trick!

What they said.

I just did this Saturday ... easy job as I did follow some advice from others. Remove your refill plug (left side) first followed by the drain plug (far rear bottom.) They can be seized quite good from what I hear so if your refill plug doesn't want to release at least you will still have your oil and can drive your bus to a shop for help. I started by attaching a clear tube to the cap and letting gravity do its thing. It took one hour to empty one liter! If your engine is out it's really easy and fast to fill directly from the bottle if it has a "funnel" cap. I thought there would be more of a mess but simply squeezing the bottle was emptied in a couple of minutes. My '68 manual transmission took the full 3.5 liters.

Have fun!

I haven`t tried this but it does seem to make sense so I`m gonna try it next time. The gearbox plug will come out a lot easier if you got the box good and hot apparently, now if this is true or not I do not know, just make sure you don`t scold yourself and as they all will tell you, make sure you can open the filler before you empty the box.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Cheers for advise guys 8) went and fetched some today and changed the oil before I took it for an mot, only got 3 litres out so it was running a bit low so all is good now :mrgreen:

You're not wrong Ozzie :roll: took it on a good run first so to warm it up, went down into the pit and the first thing I did was burn the top of my head on a j tube :?

Latest posts