Which SATNAV

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busdiver

Reaction score
right need you considered opinions on a satnav pref no more than 130quid and be able to Europe etc. it will be an addition to my old school atlas but thought it might be useful.

any preferences.............

Id have thought an appropriate app on a smartphone would do the trick?

I like turning my phone off, I bought a Tom Tom with euro maps for about that money in 2007 and its still going strong, I use it in Europe 2 or 3 times a year, well worth investing!

(my Tom Tom is better at the main journey but a mates Garmin was better for finding the exact street in a city)

i use the navigator app, its free and offline, no issues anywhere between norway and italy so far.
when driving through france the option to set a route with limited speed is a must, no point being stuck on the toll road doing 60 when the nav thiks its the best rout cos cars can be going 80, far better and faster on a route tailored to your max speed

i use tom tom for my iphone and it works a charm in europe etc. its uses gps so you can have your phone data off :mrgreen:

I got a good deal on a Tomtom Go510 a couple of weeks back for £130. Lifetime world maps and speed cameras. Touchscreen and live traffic updates via smartphone. You can even pre plan a route on a PC and send it to the Tomtom.
Highly recommend.

I just used TomTom Go on iOS in Tenerife and I like having my phone off on holidays but discovered you can use it in flight mode and still get GPS! I'm assuming you'll still have your phone in case of emergencies and this is a great way to do it without buying an extra device.

I always like having a separate one just incase I need the phone

Always gone with Tomtoms as there the easiest to use.

Make sure you get one with lifetime map updates.

Bought one 3 year ago, still upto date fine, and I have a 10 year old one which still works OK.

I needed a replacement satnav since my old Michelin was badly out of date.

I was going to buy a tomtom but discovered the current models cannot do trip planning / itinerary.

Only for this reason I ended up buying a Garmin Drive, last week, which does itinerary and will also allow you to grab and drag parts of the route to go via other roads.

The only negative so far seems to be that running a map update is very slow. I tried yesterday but after it saying it would take 2 hours and then twenty minutes later telling me seven hours I gave up. Hoping to try again later. Anybody else running a Garmin updated their maps?

from what i can see you have to by HERE maps so why not buy a satnav, and unless you have a monster screen phone the optically challenged amongst us can struggle with the smaller screen, also it's a PHONE it can't be all things, yes i still have a stand alone camera it's very clever it takes pictures it's supposed to..

Which Garmin drive do you have trikky was erring on the garmin side because of the split screen feature you get on some.

I bourght a garmin 2599 the other week from currys there doin them for 100 now was a 160 plus one not long back life time updates to :D

Latest posts