Which twins carbs on type 4 air cooled engine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydney1

Reaction score
I bought one of the last new 1800cc type 4 engines VWH were selling last year to replace the 1700 which expired. As I'd only recently replaced the old knackered twin carb with a single weber and been pleased with the ease of setting it up, I was initially happy to transfer it over to the new engine. However, can't help thinking I missing getting the best out of the engine. What do you think and which twin carbs would be best?

Cheers

We have type 4 motor and a 1600 AS on our two vans. How do you find the single weber? The missus bay, came to us with a single twin choke weber progressive, which is a nice carb but needs a hot summers day as the type 4 doesn't have heated manifolds, for average temperatures its a pig, for cold days its dangerous, try pumping the throttle to keep the engine going whilst braking for the lights, or the times when it runs away 'cos the manifolds are flooded and you have the idle set to 2000 rpm to try and stop the stalling. Its a rotten starter as you have to flood the manifolds to get fuel to the cylinders. Twin choke Dellortos are the performance carb of choice, and having put these on I can vouch for that. With the carb directly over the cylinder they start on the first attempt any weather. They come second hand, or you buy reconditioned by someone else, its no biggy to do the job yourself. Disadvantages? with a separate pump jet for each cylinder they are tiny and block easily, easy to clean except the twin throttle linkage is mounted off the air filters, AND THEY ARE LOUD, the tiny pancake aircleaners are not silencers. I have twin single choke weber ICTs on the 1600, after mounting and setting up I've not had to touch them since, like the Dells they are easy starters but quieter. I would expect the four chokes to breathe easier at the top end, and the two chokes to be more responsive at lower revs, however do not have a direct comparison on the same motor. The 1600 pulls away easier, the type 4 is faster which fits the theory but there are other differences too. I shall be switching the bay to ICTs one day.

I am running 40 Dells on my 1600 and they are very reliable so far. Very responsive and quite good on fuel too. They took a bit of finding at the right price 2nd hand, but it was worth the effort.
Loads of info on aircooled.net
Cheers, Chris.

got a set of type 4 manifolds and 36idfs for sale at work,midland early bay.give graham a bell on his mobile no.

Is it one of the industrial units that they had advertised?

if so keep the twins that came on it, they are 40 pdsit's

mattyd72 said:
Is it one of the industrial units that they had advertised?

if so keep the twins that came on it, they are 40 pdsit's

Yes.It's one of the units that was bound for the MOD. Bare engine without carbs though

Wouldnt a set of kadron's be a safe bet

Latest posts