Which wood rim steering wheel?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibérico

Reaction score
Hi everybody... I have seen quite a few buses sporting wood rim steering wheels...and I love the looks...I could apply for an early bday present :D ( see if my missus reads the forum!!)
I like the 15inch motolita ones but I would like to see what you guys have...
Is it better to go for 17?
Any advice on models, bosses, and places to buy?
Pics welcome :D

Thanks in advance

Tonio

MCJ ones are really nice but not cheap http://www.mcjproducts.com/11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be careful getting a 15" one as it makes the steering a lot heavier, MCJ make a 17" which is slightly smaller than stock but not much.

Fifty Six Deluxe also sell them

DSCN1730.jpg

Not the best picture of my MCJ wheel but you get the general idea, not cheap but you get a quality horn push that works.
plus you get a choice of woods mine matches my rear interior. :mrgreen:
Its also has a nice feel to it when driving, comfy. :D

Beautifully made wheels there.

Do they still operate the self canceling indicators though?

They look nice in certain sports cars and fast saloons with leather and wood interiors but to me they look rather out of place in a bus.

How about a Petri Banjo?? Not wooden but nice all the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PORSCHE-356-BUG-BUS-GHIA-IVORY-BANJO-STEERING-WHEEL-/400266258526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item5d31ba685e#ht_3328wt_1222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've always loved these steering wheels. They look great in a splitty but not entirely sure they would suit a bay.

Another vote for MCJ here, I have one of their wheels and boss (and a few other parts) waiting to go in my bus.

They are very well made and look even better in the flesh (or wood and metal) I went for 17" thinking after driving a modern car with power steering I need all the leverage I can get...

I chose this one:

webupd+pics1+090.jpg

And this boss:

boss+pics5+027.jpg

Yes they do self cancel if you can be bothered to fit the clips under the boss you got to make sure you got them the right way round if you no what I mean.
I was thinking of a Banjo wheel but there smaller, glad I went with a MCJ even bought the black heater knobs which are also expensive but very nice. :mrgreen:
I thought it might look out of place but I don't think it does in mine the wheel always attracts positive comments. :)

Mines one off the Magpie fella. These where around before the MCJ ones so i had no choice when buying mine. It fits a standard alloy mota lita boss which is cheaper i think.

Got mine from vanwurks,as far as I know, it's the only 18" available. And cheaper than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heres mine,

It's a EMPI Flat 4 one. It's has a great feel and only a little smaller than the standard one.

P1040486.jpg

P1040487.jpg

Very nice, I considered a 56 Delux as I noticed quite a few on here have them & their a pretty good price, but I wanted
holes not slots & a polished horn push, plus a different colour rim not rosewood.
Just a fussy old Bugger. :lol:

marcher said:
heres mine,

It's a EMPI Flat 4 one. It's has a great feel and only a little smaller than the standard one.

P1040486.jpg

P1040487.jpg

Hi Marcher,

That's what i'm talking about! I may have asked you before on this, but is that a bug wheel, what adaptor are you using to fit this, and where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
marcher said:
heres mine,

P1040486.jpg

P1040487.jpg

Hi Marcher,

That's what i'm talking about! I may have asked you before on this, but is that a bug wheel, what adaptor are you using to fit this, and where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers,

Alistair

My friend bought it for me in the US a while back now. I think it is meant to be fitted to a beetle.
You dont need any adaptors to fit it. The only thing you need to do is shave the nut that hole the wheel on, and have a long socket. :lol: :lol: :D

Marriedblonde said:
Dub_Dreams said:
I've got the fiftysixdelux 17" wheel with the 30mm riser.. I think it's (one of the) best wheels out there...

Nice wheel but personally i think the boss/horn push lets it down. The wheel looks lovely

J.

My wife bought me the fiftysixdelux wheel for Christmas, and it is lovely, but agreed the horn push lets it down, I didn't realise it was black plastic originally.

I have contacted them this week about the possibility of a polished one and the have said that they are testing one at the moment and should be available in a few weeks as an extra on there website. I'm going to wait and see what its like before fitting the wheel.

cotswoldiver said:
MCJ with slots for me ... and Mark gives EB 10% discount to help

Me too, it's lovely. As others have said i looked into others but felt the boss options let them down. It is also in exaclty the same plane as the og wheel in believe. I like marchers empi one though.

Latest posts