While the engine is out...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfpint_fighter

Reaction score
I noticed at volksworld my oil leak has got pretty bad. I reckon it is the flywheel oil seal as it is where the engine and gearbox join.
When we got home i looked underneath and it was dripping every few seconds while the oil was hot and thin.

I'd rather get on it soon so as not to wait until total failure and a ruined clutch plate.

So any other suggestions of jobs while the engine is out?

So far i have decided.
Gearbox oil change.
Obviously will the engine is out i might as well service (new spark plugs, Oil strainer etc)
Wire up reverse lights
Fit new tail light assembly (have done one side already, the plastic is brittle)
Need to fit 2 new heater cables
Fit the metal petrol pipe and rubber gromit as it doesn't have one at the moment.

Might look into modifying the engine support bar and fitting a full flow adapter on the oil pump (one which is a send a receive cover so as not to have to drill and tap the case!)

I have undersealed around the engine bay when the engine was out last year.

Ooooh good one! I did replace the rubber in the square coupling by the gearbox about 2 years ago but couldn't actually undo the bolt that holds the metal cage type bit on. Never even looked at the front end on the linkage.

Replace the starter bush.

Check and reset the crankshaft end float.

Gearbox oil can be done at anytime and is really not necessary as VW say it's for life.

Clarkson46 said:
Gearbox oil can be done at anytime and is really not necessary as VW say it's for life.

Kinda disagree with this - my manual says every 2 years ( equivalent to 24000 miles/1000 miles a month) to replace gearbox oil.

When did they ever say it was for life?

If you are going to replace the gearbox oil, make sure you can open the filler opening before you open the drain hole ;) :lol:

Maybe take the fire wall out and take the petrol tank out,check the rubber pipework and the tank itself,flush all the dirt out and paint it? Seems like a big job though.
Check the endfloat before you remove the engine,if it's too much play you need to consider that the case will need align boring and new main bearings.Best done with a dial gauge,but I've also done it using a spacer and feeler gauges between the front pulley and case before.Measure it with the pulley pulled right out and pushed right in,the difference being your end float.

Tofufi said:
Clarkson46 said:

Kinda disagree with this - my manual says every 2 years ( equivalent to 24000 miles/1000 miles a month) to replace gearbox oil.

When did they ever say it was for life?

If you are going to replace the gearbox oil, make sure you can open the filler opening before you open the drain hole ;) :lol:

Post 73.

i have my manual in front of me, and the recommended change is every 30,000 km for gearbox oil

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
i have my manual in front of me, and the recommended change is every 30,000 km for gearbox oil

Having just read through the Lubrication & Servicing Schedule as published by Bentley (VW of America) the only reference to changing the transmission oil is for Automatics at 30,000 km. All manual gearboxes is check and top up.

This is the page taken from the 1968 Bay Window handbook

Lubricationchart.jpg

Latest posts