who else slammed it to the weeds then slowley raised it to..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i assume you've seen the work over at kustom coach werks? even lower and on 17"s its a late bay but the mods are insane. well worth a look

Johnny said:
i assume you've seen the work over at kustom coach werks? even lower and on 17"s its a late bay but the mods are insane. well worth a look

Been following them guys for a while.

A year or so back I almost bought the 'dumped pumpkin@Mental split crew and air.All that cash on paint and suspention mods but no attention to the missing metal from the floors.But like they said..its what the customer wanted 8)

theres also a guy on VZI under the name of lower than low..check out the build...thats insane 8)

smudge said:
there is alot of 'crap' for want of a better word in this thread..like "if things rub.bang"its been done wrong!...the way i see it is if my beam dont do them things then i need to go lower! :lol:
More Scary to me is all you people ridding dropped spindles from NAT @WW...welded shit waiting to fail!...think about it :)

Smudge If your suspension Knocks or bangs when you drive along Something is wrong NO Ifs or Buts ..... Mechanical Components are just that ... Mechanical and if said mechanical part Stops halfway through its travel because theres NOT enough clearence around it I.e the bumpstops arent removed or the track rods are hitting the chassis then other Parts are over stressed leading to premature failure of other assossiated suspension components .

Im sure Alex will back up what Im saying , As there is Modding stuff and then there is Modding stuff safely .

dyn010_original_640_480_pjpeg_25394.jpg

the coolest bay in the world... and it's late... so late it's almost a T25.

almost.

seeing as everybody's so mild mannered in here i'm almost tempted to add a fresh twist to the debate... just like when does 'lowered' become 'slammed' when does 'heavily modified' become 'custom' ?

and when does 'custom' become 'kustom' ?

i've always thought (and this is said with my tongue firmly in my cheek) that a lot of the so-called 'slammed' stuff that comes out of T2D could do with being a couple of inches at least lower... look at the walzwork bus for instance... get it down... but then you look at this ballz bus, it's sort of a T2D project, and it's as low as you can get... they're 14" rims, just about the lowest profile tyres i could imagine, the scrub line looks about two inches off the floor, and the bottom of the bus looks like 2.001" :twisted:

so they've done it. there's a bus, 'normal' suspension (i.e. no up & downy stuff) sitting as low as it's legal to go... about to be MoT'd and driven to brighton breeze.

magnificent :mrgreen:

can you camp in it though ? can you stand up in it ? does your head touch the roof when you drive it ? could me & clem fit in it for EBI3 ? would he want to ? etc. etc. etc.

8)

didn't know they had done a body drop on it! would like to see more pic's really... those tubs look like mine...lol

erm, my track rods touch my chassis rails 'sometimes' i need to notch the chassis rails more me thinks.... ive got some 8" pipe to sort that tho!! that will be done before the next stage of lowering... it needs it to keep up with the Jones's..........

just to go back to a previous topic of legally driving a slammed van in another country, i think as long as its MOT'd, taxed and insured from the country of origin i would 'think' its fine....

so to put it another way, if i lived in Belgium, id buy insure, MOT and tax my van in France then drive it fine in Belgium.... that's one way around it.... where is EBI anyway... I'm planing on going next year, hopefully in the trekker mind!

Gadget Boy said:
smudge said:
there is alot of 'crap' for want of a better word in this thread..like "if things rub.bang"its been done wrong!...the way i see it is if my beam dont do them things then i need to go lower! :lol:
More Scary to me is all you people ridding dropped spindles from NAT @WW...welded shit waiting to fail!...think about it :)

Smudge If your suspension Knocks or bangs when you drive along Something is wrong NO Ifs or Buts ..... Mechanical Components are just that ... Mechanical and if said mechanical part Stops halfway through its travel because theres NOT enough clearence around it I.e the bumpstops arent removed or the track rods are hitting the chassis then other Parts are over stressed leading to premature failure of other assossiated suspension components .

Im sure Alex will back up what Im saying , As there is Modding stuff and then there is Modding stuff safely .

Sorry for any confusion fella....mine only knocks/bangs when i hit the steering pin on the road or speed bump etc :lol:
Bump stops were the first things to come off...
My dropped spindles were dont profesionally through Bobby.ive shimmed them all up using 32 shims all round..even made sure i had the correct gap between arms.beam has adjusters so nothing untoward there.....no tubs or chassis mods...yet 8)

Im interested in a set of them dampers of yours mate...kyb's dont do it for me 8)

the councillor said:
seeing as everybody's so mild mannered in here i'm almost tempted to add a fresh twist to the debate... just like when does 'lowered' become 'slammed' when does 'heavily modified' become 'custom' ?

and when does 'custom' become 'kustom' ?
can you camp in it though ? can you stand up in it ? does your head touch the roof when you drive it ? could me & clem fit in it for EBI3 ? would he want to ? etc. etc. etc.

8)

My thoughts -

Lowered is like mine, a 'bit' lower.
'Slammed' is using a combination of dropped spindles AND adjusters, not either/or, and (the equivalent of) 2 splines at the back.....

And finally, custom becomes kustom when its done by someone 'krazy' :| or something .....
The T2D bus- you could 'kip' in it, but not 'camp', only a child could stand up in it with the raised floor ... but I dont think its being marketed as any kind of caravanette, its a panel van. the end. :)

We 'could' fit in it for EBI3, but no, I wouldnt want to .... :lol:

imo the red bus above is pointless,at that hight it must drive like a forklift,and im sure it cant be used as a road going vehicle.yes it looks good but thats it.i love a low bus but its got to be able to use it.im maybee missing something but i really dont get it :?

strongy said:
imo the red bus above is pointless,at that hight it must drive like a forklift,and im sure it cant be used as a road going vehicle.yes it looks good but thats it.i love a low bus but its got to be able to use it.im maybee missing something but i really dont get it :?

50 / 50 with you there.

on the one hand, one of the reasons why i occasionally 'pop' up on these forums is that i'm trying to pick peoples' brains *stealthily* - i reckon that lowering a bus the 'conventional' way only works for a couple of inches, and then you start getting into clearance issues all over the place... i mean you really do, just look at the back end and the current trend for 'slimming down' the springplates... absolutely ridiculous from an engineering point of view, but it's all over the internet and in magazines, and i reckon it represents everything that's wrong with 'backstreet engineering' the whole "oh it's bound to be ok 'cos i saw it done on the internet"

have you had them stress tested ?

"er... er..."

and so on.

so there has to be a 'better' way out there, surely, given that they've been about getting on for 60 years now... and it seems like there's been a little mini explosion of creativity over the last couple of years, and stuff like the above and the crazy KCW stuff has started appearing as an 'out of the box' solution :twisted:

that bus, although it's on the floor, and i've only seen pictures of it :roll: shouldn't roll any worse than a moderately lowered bus (better given T2D's expertise) but factor in the body drop and it suddenly looks like a giant mechanical woodlouse, but with the ride quality of a near-stocker... until you get to an errant pine nut kernel in the road but that's another story :wink:

the flip side of that is that although i think it looks SO good, i mean things like that and another bus i saw on the internet a few years back are the reason for all MY dreaming, they're amazing but i know if i had one i wouldn't even be able to get it off my drive, which is a bit paradoxical or to put it another way a bit of a nuisance... which is why (as alex so subtly alluded to earlier on with his request for photos... don't think i didn't notice :oops: ) i tend to spend my evenings at committee meetings, so i don't have to face up to the reality that building something as cool as that ^^^^^^^^^^^^ might just be beyond me :cry:

this is a great thread, and a great forum if you don't mind me saying :mrgreen:

well done johnny & clem 8)

strongy said:

Someone also asked recently about the Autotechniks Camper burning out at EBI3, and the point in that ...

I guess its much the same, if you have a flagship business doing pretty much the best work in your field (Autotechnics for fast emgines, T2D for well engineered low vans/cars) then you need to create a extreme example to show your capabilities, a 'lost leader' if you will.

The mods and welding in the red van are mental .... as someone who almost kills himself with weld burns replacing sills, then its absolutely inspirational stuff, and I think, thats the point :D

Slammed just isn't an option for me with the state of roads and my driveway, so its all academic for me. I'm more into camping than cruizing anyway, i guess i'm just an old fart and I'm not afraid to admit it :lol: i will go low just not slammed.

i sold all my Max Powers when i blew the engine on my Clio 172 :lol:

i think clem has hit the nail on the head :) it just shows what can be done with the skills.mine will sit on the beam towers...AT SHOWS!..wont get out the garden like it :lol:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=678669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YEAH MAN!!..price is Euro btw 8)

2296403.jpg

Another from the T2D stable :cool:

Im sure its not a 68 though .... :? I think it had a new front panel, also, the paint blending was awesome.

Clem said:
2296403.jpg

Another from the T2D stable :cool:

Im sure its not a 68 though .... :? I think it had a new front panel, also, the paint blending was awesome.

Yes Clem im sure it is . It has early handles and the holes just behind frt wheel arches and rear wheel arches for the early round reflectors . Although Im gob smacked its up for sale the guy only picked it up 2 weeks before Vanfest :?

Gadget Boy said:
Yes Clem im sure it is . It has early handles and the holes just behind frt wheel arches and rear wheel arches for the early round reflectors . Although Im gob smacked its up for sale the guy only picked it up 2 weeks before Vanfest :?

Yep, I have no idea why I thought that, but had a look back and it is a 68. Why, it just gets cooler and cooler ;)

Clem said:
Someone also asked recently about the Autotechniks Camper burning out at EBI3, and the point in that ...

I guess its much the same, if you have a flagship business doing pretty much the best work in your field (Autotechnics for fast emgines, T2D for well engineered low vans/cars) then you need to create a extreme example to show your capabilities, a 'lost leader' if you will.

perfectly summed up by the axis of all knowledge 8)

(apart from the 'lost leader' bit - what are you on about there :roll: )

anyway, the ballz body drop bay with an autotechniks engine FTW!!!1!1!

*as they say*

the councillor said:
(apart from the 'lost leader' bit - what are you on about there :roll: )

Probably used the term out of context. In retail a lost leader is a product that someone promotes at a loss, so they entice folk to deal with them, and then customer spends more money on their stuff so they (the retailer) ends up making money

The two examples I used spunk a load of cash on something to entice folk to deal with them .... etc etc

Make sense? 8)

Latest posts