Window winder mechanism

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobtronics

Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if someone could give me some advice on removing and replacing the window winder mechanism on the right hand driver's door?
I have removed the six bolts that hold the mechanism to the door, the two that clamp onto the window rail and the one that holds the forward window guide to the door. The manual I have suggests I move the forward window guide away from the bracket and I should then be able to remove the mechanism out. The rail doesn't seem to want to move enough to get the mechanism out. I am wondering if the instructions I have are for a window without a quaterlight. Below is a picture of the forward window guide and the bracket (blue arrows). I have removed the old mechanism (hacksaw!) but the dotted line shows where it went.

Is it the case that I need to take the quaterlight off to move the forward guide rail and therefore be able to insert the new mechanism? or is there something I am missing?

If memory serves, the window mech is the last thing to be removed when stripping a door and the VERY 1ST thing to fit when building back up(EVERYTHING inc the 1/4 window).

Rich

I was recently able to remove the winder mechanism and replace without having to remove the opening glass or the quarterlight.
An explanation of what I did can be found in this link:
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/window-problem.28773/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the replies and links :D . I have a winder mechanism on order and shall report back on fitting it.

I have managed to replace the winder mechanism. I did have to remove the quarterlight mounting but it wasn't too difficult. Without removing the quarterlight and trying to force the bracket and window guide apart felt like someting was going to break. :shock:
I removed the window rubber and felt around the main window near the quaterlight and removed the posidrive screw securing the quaterlight.

With the bottom bolt of the quarterlight/window guide removed the gap will open up by tilting the window.

The mechanism can now be fitted. I had to cut the bottom 5mm off the JK winder mechanism for it to fit. Is my door different to other doors?

Oddly five of the six bolts fitted but the sixth won't go. It is as if the bracket on the mechanism assembly isn't square. :eek: or I've done something wrong...........

Anyway, it all works fine now. :D

Latest posts