Wipers seized.help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
Right
My mot is in 2 week and the last thing on the list is to get the wipers on my 68 running again

When I 1st got her they moved but very slowly n then they stuck upright
Now when I turn them on,the fuse blows straight away.
Is this a wireing problem or have the spindles or even motor seized?

Cheers
Matt

My money would be on spindles. If you pop the mech off the back of them and then try to turn them by hand it will show whether or not this is the problem. If it is then the 68 spindles are no longer available so you will need to replace them with the newer splined type spindles and arms or find some good old ones (good luck with that!). You might be able to clean them up, mine were worn as well causing the wiper arms to fall off so I went with the swap options

I just gave my spindles a good soaking in maintenance spray and they un seized. ;)

I had a similar problem with mine I just got loads of grease all over the spindles and all moving parts it then freed up

vwed said:
Just Kampers do the '68 only shaft.
So they do! Didn't find that when I was looking a while ago so may be a new thing, next problem is the right wiper arms for me then as mine were busted :)

Mark6455 said:
I had a similar problem with mine I just got loads of grease all over the spindles and all moving parts it then freed up

Hmmm,did you do this in situ? And did u just use multipurpose grease?

Yeah I just got my hand under the dash and used just general grease and made sure I got it well into the spindles and arms turned them on moved them by hand and wallaa they worked

Matt
I just read back the thread did you have any movement before they seized?
I had a bit of movement so got in with the grease and managed to free them up nice been ok since.
If your blowing a fuse as soon as you switch on I'm thinking maybe the wiper motor is burnt out I may be wrong though
It's worth a try anyway if you can get them moving you may be in luck

Mark

i did have a little movement,they moved up very slowly and jerkily and that where theyve been stuck since.and yeah it blows a fuse as soon as i turn them on.
im hopeing its just the spindles that have seized too.:/ new motors aint too cheap :(

Latest posts