Won't start - has has a new starter and battery!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyb

Reaction score
I have recently bought 1971 Welty and been having some problems getting her started. First time this happened I had her on a long run and left her overnight. Next day wouldn't start. Clouted the started and she started. This happened a few times until she wouldn't start even after tapping the starter. I replaced the starter and fine for a few days. Then the same happened again. This time I presumed it must be the battery, so replaced it. Again fine for a few days but today after a fair run, I stopped and couldn't get her started again. She will bump start!

The starter is clicking and kind of wines after 2/3 seconds. What could this be? All the power leaders are tight, and I've also checked the rotor arm which looked clean and good. Wen running she is popping a bit when easing of gas but guess this is probably unrelated!

I'm new to the world of vans so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure, will need to check this. I have had it hooked up to a fully charged battery though, would it still not fire up even if the alternator isn't working?

Thanks

the bush in the engine which starter runs in can bind on the starter and make it not turn over correctly it should be changed when ever you change the starter its only pennies is it anew starter or reckon

Quite likely to be a bad connection or a bad ignition switch- if you bridge the connection between the big red wire and the smaller red wire on the starter, the engine should turn over. try it with the bus in neutral, obviously. if it does, then you've got a wiring fault, which in your case sounds like it may be cured by a hot-start relay, though obviously finding and rectifying the fault is preferable.

Jimmyb said:
Thanks - yes seems really secure, I'm puzzled...

There is also an earth strap on the nose cone of the gearbox... you need to check this one too

Failing that, it'll be the ignition switch, or the spade connector on the starter motor!!

Hi, will do as suggested.... Decided this evening to to take the new starter off and run a bench test on it. Would you believe the pinion fired up but did turn at all - guess it was a faulty one! Will get it replaced and fit the new one and hopefully this will sort my problems. Thanks all for your help :)

your starter motor won't turn without being bolted to a bellhousing- so for instance testing it on a bench or in a vice won't work. one end of the starter is supported by the starter motor bush (which is in the bellhousing) with the motor shaft flopping about, it'll just short the motor and won't turn.

Latest posts