Work starts, October '67 RHD UK Devon..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetwagens

Reaction score
Hi All, thought i'd post a few updates as the resto progresses on my '67 bay, as I have started the resto work seeing as nobody wanted to buy her! :lol: The stripdown to a shell has been done, engine and fuel tank out to make it safe to weld, so it's currently getting some decent autocraft repair metal let in ever so gently. 8)

This bus has been around in the VW scene for years, always at BVF/Van/Busfest, trips to Santa Pond, Stonor, VFW, etc etc. It came in to my posession a few years ago after knowing the previous owner for many many years. I think its the second oldest UK bay Devon, and has the unusual slightly narrower concertina pop top with an Ali surround instead of 'glass. So, some pics of as it was, and the stuff that needed doing 8)

862EBB1E-B197-4A32-8FC8-1012C548E5FB-1533-000002AAE7E75DE7.jpg

IMG_2716-1.jpg

IMG_2720-1.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2728-1.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

The engine lid and rear hatch are toast, so they have been replaced with some rust free ones from FBI VW just down the road from me. I am hoping to save the OG sliding door, and the cab doors are in pretty good order, which is nice because they are the original push button ones to the bus. Hopefully I'll be able to pop some more pics up after work tonight of the slicing out pics that are on my camera. Busy times!! :lol:

One thing that I need to find out, what are the options on long side outer sills these days? Its had one before which has lost the seams, are the component pieces available to spot weld together to make a correct sill up? :mrgreen:

You can see the old repair here:

IMG_2723.jpg

streetwagens said:
what are the options on long side outer sills these days? Its had one before which has lost the seams, are the component pieces available to spot weld together to make a correct sill up?

Klassic fab do lower side panel though they no longer have a UK distributor (used to be musclebus and at one time VW Heritage)
so its probably best to get from Evam Classic in Holland (its 60 Euro (48 quid ish), :-

http://www.vwsplitparts.com/nlshop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (select "Bay Window" in the drop down search box)

They also do the outer sill for 25 Euro.

HTH :)

(Really nice van by the way 8) - looking forward to seeing the work)

Cheers guys, the Evam Classic site is out of date, he admitted that the stock list is from a few years ago but it 'looks good on the web' - a friend with an enthusiastic metalworker found out the hard way after the pillars had been sliced out of his early bus..!

I'm doing some of the work along with a mate who I usualy get to work on my 50's stuff, its 100 miles away from where I live at the moment, so once the tin's done I'll be getting it into paint and bringing it up to bristol for a refit, fun times!! 8)

Im pretty sure Evam had a few of these on their stall at Busfest this year. I have heard that KF stuff is very hit and miss as to availability though.

(I've got a KF outer sill in the garage going spare (as I found an NOS one). £20 + postage if its of any use)

That outer sill sounds good to me, whereabouts are you? 8) Built on 2nd October '67, so thats 45yrs and 27 days old.

Just uploaded a bunch more pics of the slicing and dicing, ready? :lol:

Spare wheel recess was rotted out, so a replacement OG one is in the process of being prepped to drop in and spot weld down as per factory
P1000465.jpg

I'll let the next pictures do the talking :lol:

P1000453.jpg

P1000454.jpg

P1000455.jpg

P1000456.jpg

P1000457.jpg

P1000459.jpg

P1000461.jpg

P1000462.jpg

P1000463.jpg

P1000464.jpg

P1000466.jpg

Theres an old repair been unearthed on the rear vents, not good, so that'll come out and a correctly fitting piece will be let in ;)

P1000467.jpg

P1000468.jpg

and the corner had a bit of a wobbly ding, so thats on its way out too!

P1000470.jpg

Fortunate Son said:
streetwagens said:
That outer sill sounds good to me, whereabouts are you?

A mile from the middle of Cheddar on the wells road.

I work in Bath and live in Bristol, so not too far at all! Am I okay to pop down one night this week and grab it off you? :D

Some early parts, Picked up a KF Sill Yesterday, Thanks for that Andy, good to meet you! 8) The bits from Heritage got sent to my billing address instead of my delivery address though, so they are 100 miles away from the van, boo! Some of the Autocraft bits are making their way on to the bus though, so progress is happening! 8) Pics:

It looked a bit thin in places up here, so it was checked out and the pinholes sorted out
P1000500.jpg

Less gaps inside now!
P1000506.jpg

Arch is in the process of being butt welded in
P1000505.jpg

Some chassis stuff
P1000504.jpg

3 layers of seatbelt mounts now gone! :lol:
P1000503.jpg

Inner sill and B pillar work
P1000502.jpg

More when the rest of the panels eventually get to the van! :lol: