wot rubber?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
evening all,
wanted to see if anyone could recommend some nice tyres...
Here's my van at present (sorry for the crap night shot):
pics_%20094.jpg

It has been lowered although at present is empty so once an interior goes in will be lower.
Can't remember how much it was lowered but invoice (dated 03/12/99 ;-) ) states:
...replaced front subframe with cut 'n' turned subframe/ axle beam and removed both rear stub axles, lower rear springplates and refit...
so your guess as good as mine! I didn't ask for a major drop so...
Anyway, am running at front 195/60 R14 85H (Firestone Firehawk)and rear 185/? stock? R14.
I think the rear stock? tyres are a bit 'agricultural' so would like something that matches and looks nicer.
I'm going to carry on running the stock rims for a while (so I guess R14's) - they are about to come off and get repainted etc and have either normal chrome hubcaps for a '70 or the Smooth Baby Moon Domed Hub Cap to fit.
Have read a few posts that say can't get fatter than 185's on rear so guess am limited to that width but what about a low aspect ratio?
Finally am based in Bristol and read that Mike Knight tyres in Avonmouth are good? Normally use Brittania in Fishponds but not sure what experience they may have with vans
thanks for any pointers
Rob

Try Smart tyres in Bell Hill, Kingswood just up from the Worlds End pub.
Give them a call on 0117 9559040

tyres come better in 15". 185 65 15 rear 175 55 15 front. or 165 50 15 front. or 195 45 16 rear and 165 40 16 front. or if you really want to get the look right 205 45 17 rear and 165 40 17 front all should give good cruising diameter for the rear and good clearance on the front obviously the standard rimage would need looking at.

i mean this in a nice gentle way, but you might as well be asking "what colour should i paint it ?"

everybody, and i mean EVERYBODY will have a different opinion, and you'll be more confused after 35 replies than you are now :wink:

the only advice i can offer is stick to 14s... everything else is chopped liver*

happily though, they always seem to give out tyre sizes in magazine features, so just have a scan through and see what kind of look suits you, although if you haven't got any magazines you're a bit stuck... in which case you'll have to 'steal' an image from the internet, post it up here and we tyre fetishists should be able to tell you what it is**

good luck 8)

*although technically i like liver
**-ish :roll:

cheers all and thanks for the thoughts! Will go and have a chat with both companies.
@ Councillor...fair point :lol:
was thinking more in terms of what brand of tyre ... used to have a Golf GTiT with F1s which were nice! Don't know much about tyres but as mentioned keeping the 14's for the time being but just thinking what would fit at the rear to match the front.
luckily also got a fair few back issues to peruse...
now time for me bed!

Latest posts