Would you take on this bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, thats a real one off :)

Shame its a late one ... ;)

You'll stand out once its up to show standards thats for sure..... Dorma are still trading albeit at a reduced level following an unfortunate period this year.....

Thats an ultra rare westfalia conversion and even more unusual with a dormy roof. Its like the SO69/1 oslo I had.

For that price I would buy it, just check as much of the interior is intact as possible as you wont be able to get things like cooker knobs and fridge parts.

Ive only seen 3 others for sale in 4 years and none of them were as good as that one.

Looks like a good deal - though i recall one of our usa friends mentioning somthing about NC titles, IIRC was along the lines of someone being able to reg a (poss titleless?) bus in their own name, which is a legit slip to be then able to re reg in another state? Akin to possibly reg-ing a dubious title, and because of lax laws in NC then reg-ing somewhere else as the NC document is a legal one, I think it was a grey area, to turn a old reg or bus via NC's laws, then re-reg it to make it legit? Though I also think that this loophole has been closed, there may well be old vehicles done this way prior to the change?

Dunno if this makes any sense? Maybe one of our usa friends can elaborate? it's just what i remember at the time...........

Cheers!

Alistair

That looks like a a decent project.I would buy it if it was in this country for that price.It'd be worth much more over here.

It seems a really cool setup - sleeping 4 adults (or 2 adults and 2 teenagers) with that wide rear bed and the dormy top bunks. The interior and all the rare stuff seems to be really intact and nice. The roof scared me a little if it was to stay in the US and then hole in the belly pans too but I guess looking at some of the work that goes into UK buses would make this seem an easier resto.

Someone correct me - is the dormy roof opening the same as a forward hinge westy roof opening ie a sunroof top? I'm trying to work out why this has belly pans or seems to. Is this a bench model deluxe sunroof opening (double skin) bus that westfalia converted? I seem to remember they refused to put dormy roofs on when they went to rear hinges - is that right? Ie making this the last year of westfalia dormies?

The ad says "I do have a clear N.C. title in my name" so thats all good, I think the state with the title issues around here is Georgia where they don't do titles over a certain age, its a PIA with buses from down there.

Anhyhow the guy selling this bus and I seem to have fallen out so its not going to be mine, I was looking for a 3rd bus to put in the container coming over to the UK in 1-2 months time.

AL (Alastair)

I'm not sure sure what roof option Westfalia used,but probably the same as for the Westfalia roof.The Dormobile roof on the Westfalia model is located much further back in the roof compared to an origanal Dormobile roof.It looks like the hole would be further back compared to a front hinged Westy too.Probably because of how the interior is laid out below.
I thought that belly pans where fitted to all Westfalias and Dormobiles to strengthen the body due to the hole in the roof.

Latest posts