Y Section Patching(?)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi all, hope you've all had a nice Christmas/holiday.

After some help if you wouldn't mind. We are replacing the front chasis rail (the one to an angle of the main one running though the bus), and both my Dad and I are now stumpt as which way to procede. I assume that the repair sections I have aren't supposed to go down as far as we need them to.

2012-12-30141814_zps77a7ba0c.jpg

2012-12-30141807_zps2617aaf5.jpg

This is kinda where it needs to sit to sit flush with the front. However, we have to repair the other side at the front so I will be able to set this one further back and patch in a 2/3" section at the front if needed.

But there is also this hole
2012-12-30141906_zpsd4f1e5a9.jpg

What do you guys think I should do? We don't really have the skills to be able to make sections. A square patch will be doable but not if we have to start bending metal etc. Also, what to you think to patching in, and the MOT?

Thanks, for any help.

Whis.

I really really don`t want to be the first to say it, but I think that leg is a bit past patches and repair panels, there I said it !
I really think you need to be looking for some donor part from another vehicle, and they are fair easy to source. Sorry to blurt it out, but that`s just my opinion :(

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

^^whs got to agree with Ozzie a chassis cut is required lots less hassle than trying to build up something that's not there :mrgreen:

Cuts like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CAMPER-T2-BAY-WINDOW-RHD-Y-CHASSIS-CUTS-/110987745199?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d76297af" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

well the firstthing I would say is you need to take off the beam and check underneath .its easy enough to make up sections ,large hammer and a vice,and can be welded together to make up the shape just use correct thickness steel.take your time and when the welds are ground back you can have an invisible joint.

Thanks for the quick responces guys. Yesterday when we saw that I think we nearly threw in the towel. I think it is one step beyond us.

So I have an either or then, either make repair sections or cut the whole thing out and replace. Problem is, the other side is almost perfect accept the very front section which can be cut and replaced (about a 4/5" section). But I fear I will only be able to get the Y Section in pairs?

Whistler said:
Thanks for the quick responces guys. Yesterday when we saw that I think we nearly threw in the towel. I think it is one step beyond us.

So I have an either or then, either make repair sections or cut the whole thing out and replace. Problem is, the other side is almost perfect accept the very front section which can be cut and replaced (about a 4/5" section). But I fear I will only be able to get the Y Section in pairs?

I'm sure the bigger dealers will sell them separately,

only one way to find out, start picking up the phone or firing some emails out.

Ok, drop the beam is today's project. Thanks guys.

I do have a number of someone in Harlow I think it was. I'll give them a shout.

However, if anyone knows someone SE let me know! Surrey, Kent, Sussex etc.

If your getting a body cut, just weld in the full area you need n use the repair panel to make patches elsewhere??

89Rallye said:
Whistler said:

I'm sure the bigger dealers will sell them separately,

only one way to find out, start picking up the phone or firing some emails out.

Thats our very own scott wilson on here -doubt he'll split but ask him

Also, I don't know of any other main dealers buying RHD from SA -most still source from the states (so LHD)

That chassis is fcuked but nothing a good fabricator cannot make

Just registered because I have just done the repair to my chassis that looked almost identical to yours.heres a link
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=799939&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Pothole, much appreciated. I will show the old man how easy it looks! Did you use the same guage metal as the chassis repair section you have?

Looks great by the way!

I will try and find a metal place locally tomorrow.

Yes, was actually a chassis repair piece I ordered by mistake. I just made some cardboard templates and whent from there really. Good luck with the resto, the more you dig around the more find that needs replacing.

Whistler said:
I will try and find a metal place locally tomorrow.

If you're near Thornton Heath Pond try M & S Metalcraft 020 8684 2890 very helpful guys
(next door is a firm that does media blasting & powder coating)

pothole said:
...the more you dig around the more find that needs replacing.

Isn't that true...found the box surrounding the front air intakes was mullered yesterday. Looked fine until I touched it and it all fell apart. Oh well, just something else to add to the list!

Harlequin said:
If you're near Thornton Heath Pond try M & S Metalcraft 020 8684 2890 very helpful guys
(next door is a firm that does media blasting & powder coating)

Small bloody world! Mentioned this place to my Dad (who knows them), as they did my railing for my balcony!

Latest posts