Yet another steering question..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humpty

Reaction score
I know, I know.... We've all read the various threads on steering rack conversions into early bays, but I have yet to see this question come up....

Forget all the kits out there.... In Australia I'd be up for $2500 for either the Red9 or the CE versions.... And frankly, neither of the float my boat... I have seen some home brewed setups using various steering racks that are not available in this country, so this begs the question...

Why can't a complete non-power steering rack out of a T25/3 be modded fitted to a Bay?

I have access to as complete bevel box, uni links and steering rack for nix, and I have a very neat 68 Micro (Dec 67 build) that is in dire need of a steering box upgrade/repair/replacement....

556504_10151186078503846_1060109880_n.jpg

I have fitted a 80mm narrowed LP Beam with adjusters and drop spindles for reference, so this might make a difference....

So I leave it with you gurus.....Can it be done?

not with a t25 rack cos it fits infront of suspension,and it would be to wide.but if you can find a rack with the correct width ,pref one with the arms pivoting from the middle .thread on here some place with a vauxhall rack used.do you have Protons as thats based on same floor pan,mk2/3 polo rack as well might work.Only prob looks like you need lhd rack to get correct dirrection for turns on wheel.

Cheers for the reply 67panel....

I haven't actually looked at the T25 rack, so I get the width being a potential issue, but the placement shouldn't be... Why can't I just place the rack where I want, ie: behind the beam?.... In doing that, all the components and the rotation of the linkage would be as it should be.... Adapting other racks could present other issues though.... Like sourcing LHD stuff here is impossible.... The only option would be to find one in Europe and have it shipped out... Hard to do without actually seeing the item.

Still trying to find those threads on here with cool conversions.... All I can find are the Red9 and CE threads, and some talk about Bedford conversions...

Finally found the thread I was looking for.....

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39870&hilit=rocket&start=480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is by far the best conversion thread on this subject I have found...

He used a "MKIII VX Astra manual rack".... A LHD one I take it.... Now need to find one and get it shipped out here?

Latest posts