1600 Exhaust Systems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking to replace my exhaust on my bay as the silencer is rotten and was thinking of a few options.... I want to keep it looking fairly standard like the Stainless one Bluebird sells

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/split%20bay%20exhaust%201500%20up.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(about halfway down the page)

or change to run a silencer with twin pipes coming out of the centre - similar to a Beetle.....has anyone tried this before??

Please posts of pics of other exhaust options too.... :D

Hi James, I had the bluebird full header system and single quiet pack box, before the CSP python.Mine was a fantastic bit of kit so i imagine the Stainless Stock style exhaust is also very good.
Stuart

Hiya piggy,

You just might want to check out any stainless system with those who have had it in place for some time. Over here in the States we are getting an increasing number of reports of stainless systems rotting from the inside out. It seems that the heat, gases, and moisture are playing havoc with the internals while the outside looks pristine. Just something to consider.

Thanks Stuart,
Did the full header and single quiet pack stick out from behind the bumper? Also does it sound much different.

Reason I ask is that visually I don't want a can hanging out the back, but am quite happy to have a slightly "raspier" exhaust note. :D

Thanks Mike for your comments....the systems you mention might have standard (galvanised mild steel) internals - I came across some of these systems when I was looking for stainless systems for my E30 several years ago - the outside styas great but the innards rot likea normal exhaust. Would be interested to hear though if they are stainless insides tho...

Feel free to post pics of your exhausts too...would be good to see what variants are being fitted...

Thanks,

James

Heres a pic of the single ss quiet pack fitted to an early bay.

51.jpg

It doesn't stick out beyond the rear bumper but it is significantly lower than stock, so not much use if your van is lowered.

Not sure why its called a "quiet pack" because, although it sounds nice at low rpm on light throttle, it builds up to "demented spitfire" if you give it full throttle and revs.

I'm currently working on a "twin pack" look alike where the silencers are sequential rather than parallel, to see if i can quieten down the system.

I don't know if the internals of these are ss or not since i have not cut it open yet. That said I had an ss system on my 1938 Citroen that had mild steel internals that rotted out after about 15 years. Rather than replace the silencer i cut the end off, replaced the internals with perforated stainless tubing of the same size as the original and some new insulation, welded it shut again and it was just like new.

TBH I would prefer to go back to stock or ss stock but the engine capacity and rpm requires more breathing than a stock system can deliver.

Thanks for the pics Trikky and all the info... :D

Out of interest, what motor are you running?

Your Citroen is not a Traction Avant is it? Fantastic cars...a friend of mine is currently restoring one.

does that beetle exhaust with twin pipes enable a stock 1600TP to breathe better than the stock bay exhaust single pipe?
cheers
Rob

robjarman said:
does that beetle exhaust with twin pipes enable a stock 1600TP to breathe better than the stock bay exhaust single pipe?
cheers
Rob

Defenitely, a bus exhaust is a single pipe of 32mm and a beetle exhaust has two 35mm pipes.

piggy said:
Thanks for the pics Trikky and all the info... :D

Out of interest, what motor are you running?

Its a T1 upright a bit over 2 liter. Although it will go much higher i only take it to five and a half thousand rpm. I wouldn't mind trying the beetle exhaust idea but suspect it will still be too restrictive as the revs rise.

piggy said:
Your Citroen is not a Traction Avant is it? Fantastic cars...a friend of mine is currently restoring one.

Yes it was a pre-war traction. Did a full restoration on it, apart from the re-chroming, which I left to the professionals. Engine, gearbox, clutch, suspension etc. were "lightly" modified to "make allowance" for modern traffic conditions without compromising the originality. It was a hoot to drive and cornered like it was on rails. Sold it a couple of years ago to a guy in Spain after i noticed it had only done 1500 km in 6 years.

traction.jpg

looks neat - why the bus pipes though? must be the angle of the pic but it looks like std bug tubes would clear??

Yep standard beetle pipes would clear the rear valance but i don't like the look of beetle pipes and beside that the exhaust gases wil not stay behind the bus with bus pipes.

Never seen that before D Harry - does the sound differ much from the 'standard' single pipe?
Are all the bits 'off the shelf' - looks like the 'van' bit of the pipes has another small silencer section in them?

angus said:
Never seen that before D Harry - does the sound differ much from the 'standard' single pipe?
Are all the bits 'off the shelf' - looks like the 'van' bit of the pipes has another small silencer section in them?

It does sound like a bus a little but it has more of a deep roar in it (difficult to explain)
The rest is off the shelf but i'm not sure about the pipes cause i bought them on the German ebay as NOS late bay pipes but i have never seen late bay pipes with a silencer :?

Dirty Harry said:
It does sound like a bus a little but it has more of a deep roar in it (difficult to explain)
The rest is off the shelf but i'm not sure about the pipes cause i bought them on the German ebay as NOS late bay pipes but i have never seen late bay pipes with a silencer :?

were the pipes one piece? you can get what is called a damper pipe, but that then needs another small piece [also available] as a tailpipe....http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps thats a really nice bus you have.........

dubdubz said:
Dirty Harry said:

were the pipes one piece? you can get what is called a damper pipe, but that then needs another small piece [also available] as a tailpipe....http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps thats a really nice bus you have.........

Thanks.... the pipes were one piece and i had to shorten them a little (6cm), othewise they would be sticking out to far.
I sure with the parts you showed me it would work also.

Harry, I think these pipes are from a TYPE 3, but mounted vice versa.
The end of the orginal TYPE3 pipe is connected in your exhaust.

Dirty Harry said:
i had to shorten them a little (6cm)

just cut the ends off??

they do look like t3 bits.....

http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=311251153F&Category_Code=Type3Exhaust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dubdubz said:
Dirty Harry said:
i had to shorten them a little (6cm)

just cut the ends off??

they do look like t3 bits.....

http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=311251153F&Category_Code=Type3Exhaust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a pic before cutting, the 6cm shortening is before the silencer begins.
DSC00551.jpg

Thans for all the posts guys.
Dirty Harry, loving what you have done with yours, and am quite tempted to go down a similar route but use Bug tips...do you reckon that these will cause the exaust gases to fill the engine bay? I am thinking they should be ok becuase they'll protrude past the bumper.

Trikky, It sounds like I can go for a more "stock" system than you due to me running the standard 1600...may be in future I might have to upgrade the exhaust if I change the engine... Great Traction Avant, and I am sure a shame to see it go. I have recently completed a restoration on an early BMW and the annual mileage I'm doing in it is making me consider getting rid too.... :(

I keep trying to justify to myself to keep it though. :)

Latest posts