1600 Type 126a Engines in a Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Morning all!

I am trying to glean a bit more information about Type 126a industrial engines being used in Bays.
I’ve read some conflicting pieces, some say they work, some say not fit for variable rpm of general driving etc. Others saying cams are different, but doesn’t appear to be any definitive evidence.

Is anybody running one, run one before? Anybody with any true experience of the cam issue?

Any input is much appreciated.

Cheers
S

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKt-f109nqAhUjolwKHRbBAtsQFjAMegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesamba.com%2Fvw%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D533606&usg=AOvVaw0BQt0tACYBQXu_TJvBwk6G

Morning bud, I don’t have any experience personally and have read pretty much exactly what you’ve written in your original post. I might even muddy the waters here and say that there is not really just one type of industrial engine and some were made to order with differing characteristics depending on the actual use of them as in used day in and day out or used once in a blue moon etc etc and the load. The only other thing is that occasionally a batch of brand spanking new ones still in the crate will turn up for sale. I would love one of these just because there’s a pretty good guarantee that they’re genuine old school VW and not remanufactured or from South America. Abel (Alfonso) may have some info as to the actual inner workings as in cam specs etc, but the main thing seemed to be the type of dissy fitted to them.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,I’ll have a new one please :mrgreen:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Seems I’ve just bought one of these on eBay. Brand new, worried now I paid over the odds and more work to fit in the van than the details inferred

Cam on these 126A engines is the same as 1600 double/single port engines, the carb is a 32 PCI that needs to be changed.
Some of these engines have a special fly wheel that won’t fit in a car so maybe you need to change that too but otherwise it’s a fine engine!

@dirty Harry
Thanks for adding some perspective. The seller told me the carb needs replacing and removal of some of the other parts.
I liked the idea of a new old stock engine, so hoping my idealism hasn’t pushed me into anything too stupid 🤪

Seamus, I’d have that motor over any of the other offerings for standard motors and if you’re not too sure I may be tempted to buy it from you and take it off your hands. P.M. me if you’d like and I’ll maybe buy it from you.

Ozziedog,,,,,, sound a great find indeedy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

@ozziedog

I’ve sent you a message. It is still showing in my outbox and not sent items so not sure what’s going on

Seamus1982 said:
@ozziedog

I’ve sent you a message. It is still showing in my outbox and not sent items so not sure what’s going on

That’s how the message system works on here, that way you’ll know when I’ve received and read it. I don’t mess around too much with online stuff when I’m at work, mainly because I’m a delivery driver for Mr Asda and also I can’t read too much on my small screen phone :lol:
But I’m home now :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,bloody reading glasses :mrgreen:

Latest posts