1600cc whos still feeling the love?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonerdtg

Reaction score
Following on from the big motor thread and getting very envious who still runs a 1600cc and is happy?
I'm still running mine with a beetle exhaust kadron 40's its not fast but so much more torque than standard climbing hills in 3rd is a joy compared to my pals with their standard 1600cc will post a pic later as everyone loves a pic.

Still running stock 1600 here. No complaints power wise. Seems to pull a little better now too, with my VS exhaust fitted.

Personally I think if you want speed, torque power etc then get a T5, I think it's just a mindset I don't think it how fast you get there but rather just enjoy the journey -
AND DON@T PUSH IT OVER 50 UNLESS IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!

Hi!

Running a stock TP, though with ICT's, reliable, leaky, couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding....

A bigger lump would be better, I probably cart too much junk about.....

Cheers,

Alistair

Original 1600sp here too. Running sweet and as reliable as my daily. Turn the key and go.

Big motors = big problems. Haven't seen one person install there new donk and drive off into the sunset. The process seems to be riddled with issues that I can do without. If it ain't broken......

On the other hand a bit of extra power wouldn't go astray. :mrgreen:

I have a standard 1600Sp mated to a 1303s box.
Works fine for me, yes some more power would be nice but the real reason I would like a bigger engine is I would like the experience of building one and the reward of it taking me away on my holidays.
The knowledge gain from doing it would be invaluable.

Deluxe had a stock 1600 and never gave me any problems and I didn't notice a lack of power, stuck to 50-55 but only due to noise, could easily have done 70 all day.

New Westy is the same, original 1600. I remember someone saying once that the further you get from stock, the more issues. Prefer reliability over speed/power.

Still running the standard 1600 SP with a single carb - have no plans on changing it anytime soon although I would love to experience a drive in a faster higher torque bus. I think if I was to change engines in the future I would be more inclined to go for a Scooby lump!

Havent had any issues regarding the engine even though we have done 1000's of miles around the UK and Europe!

A bit more torque for the hills would be nice but not chasing top speed!

Still feeling the love, definitely :D .

If I want to do over 55, I take the car :cry: .

1600 TP provides enough pull for my needs, although there are a couple of hills in the White Peak (A53 Leek to Buxton anyone?) that I'd be a bit nervous about attempting with a full camping payload :( .

My 2110 is great fun but the 1600 it replaced was a good little motor. All I can say is if you are gonna get a big motor do not be tight! Buy the best parts you can afford, that's where people go wrong. They use shit bits then when it goes bang they moan.

subheatadey said:
Personally I think if you want speed, torque power etc then get a T5, I think it's just a mindset I don't think it how fast you get there but rather just enjoy the journey -
AND DON@T PUSH IT OVER 50 UNLESS IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!

Why would I want a T5?

I have had the big motor and it was awesome. then it went bang, not so awesome then.
If you want to get in and drive your bus then stock seems to be the way forward. I had no end of problems with my big engine and in reality i couldn't afford it. despite buying all the best bits i bought the longblock second hand. still have the crank and rods and maybe one day will start building it again but currently i'd rather spend the money on holidays in the bus.

Big motor aren't unreliable, people who can't build engines properly say that.

Power
Reliablity
Cheapness

You can only have 2 of the options at once ;)

1600 here , I'm happy with mine although I've never driven a bigger engined bus so can really compare. Why is everyone scared to go above 55mph though?

Bigbear said:
1600 here , I'm happy with mine although I've never driven a bigger engined bus so can really compare. Why is everyone scared to go above 55mph though?

I don't know, mine used to cruise nicely at 55 and returned around low 30's mpg.
Maxed out it would do about 65, gained another 5 or so mph by fitting the twin ICTs.
Fuel disappeared at that speed though.

Got a 1600 TP when the bus was new to me, although that was not my choice, I wouldn't have known the difference between a SP stock and the new VW Mexico TP engine then.

I'm quite happy with the speed side of things have learned that it's best not to exceed 60mph for fuel consumption/ noise/ oil-leaks. I do like the air-cooled engine sound which is certainly unique.

I think that as StuF said, if I was going to put (even more) money into it, then a Sooby conversion would be high on the list.

I fitted a Scooby in my splitty when I had one. Was awesome :D

i'll be sticking with my 1600sp for now, until it blows up like all my others have :lol:

Latest posts