1641cc v 1700 pancake

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggyXO

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1641cc in my 72 Xover,my mate is trying to talk me into starting a project motor to work on and eventually swap for my type 1 engine.I have seen a few type 4/porsche 914 motors for sale but in need of work, originally this was in my import bus ,but I bought it without a motor,can someone tell me the pros n cons please over my new rebuild 1641cc,oh and i'd be running it without the fuel injection system,but with twin carbs.

Many thanks shaggy

Type 4's are good but really expensive to fix :-/ get the type 1 made into a 1776 for similar money :)

shaggyXO said:
Hi I have a 1641cc in my 72 Xover,my mate is trying to talk me into starting a project motor to work on and eventually swap for my type 1 engine.I have seen a few type 4/porsche 914 motors for sale but in need of work, originally this was in my import bus ,but I bought it without a motor,can someone tell me the pros n cons please over my new rebuild 1641cc,oh and i'd be running it without the fuel injection system,but with twin carbs.

Many thanks shaggy
type 4 all the way i pulled my 1600 and fitted a 1700 variant engine never looked back.

In stock form, the T4 is a much better and more modern design in many ways (proper oil filter, ally crankcase, etc) and makes decent power and torque for moving a bus about. But it does have it's downsides, it's a big heavy old thing, it will sits lower (bad news if your slammed) and parts are generally much more expensive and sometimes hard to get hold of - decent quality main bearings have been an issue recently... :(

T4 heating is a lot better too. Ours roasts out the bus and isn't even set up properly! :D

If you can find one cheap with all the parts then they're a good lump but making up an incomplete one could be an expensive game, depending on what's missing. I wouldn't worry about the fuel injection - it's lovely when it's all together and working but trying to put together a complete, working system from scratch would probably take a lot of ebay and swapmeet time. Easier just to pop a set of twin carbs on :D

In all honesty though, if you've got a decently running 1641, I can't see why you'd swap to a 1700 T4. They should make pretty much the same power and drive much the same...

Many thanks for your Advice ,I am currently paying out for a respray so I will put it on the backburner I will see how the 1641 pulls with a full interior luggage n people.

Geeze said:
In all honesty though, if you've got a decently running 1641, I can't see why you'd swap to a 1700 T4. They should make pretty much the same power and drive much the same...
1700 much better - I had one for 10 years - can you do 60 in third with a 1641? Can you cruise at 65-70? I think not. That said I would bother to make the change - if you're going to all that trouble you might as well go for even more power one way or the other.

shaggyXO said:
Bus 72 did you keep the injection system or bin it n go with carbs ?
the FI was working on the variant but i dont know enough about them to wire them up to a bay, also if you want to tune a type 4 motor with a new cam etc you can't do any tweaking to the injection system. so for me its carbs..

shaggyXO said:
Cheers Bus 72 just need to find a motor now
yeah good luck on that ;)
have you seen how much type 4's are fetching on ebay £600 for runner but it could be junk if its been run hot
or used without the thermostat you just dont know

Seen this one but can't afford this month,but as you said it might be a pile of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350551816047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeah i had 3 1700 t4s in 2 years before i went to a 1776 type 1, (on its 8th year) I think mine was bad luck but its put me off them for life :(

i should add, a friend of mine built a 2L t4 with twin 40s and it is awesome, but he started from scratch with new everything and it was expensive ....

shaggyXO said:
Seen this one but can't afford this month,but as you said it might be a pile of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350551816047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its a second or third hand engine if you can hear them in a car or van running you have some chance.
if you bought one and had it rebuilt you would know where you stood and would iam sure have a pleasant
driving experience with the t4

Go with the type 4 if you don`t mind ever being able to find new parts for them. The added HP is not worth the hassle for me. Though I have never owned one. Helping out in my friends shop back in the 80`s he would always curse when a 72 or newer customers bus came in. Sure he made money but it was not the engine that made acvw`s the historic vehicle it is. The bigger more pwerful American market created that thing. The Samba Bay Window forum has a much more vocal following. Those guys that espouse all the wonderment are probably sitting on their own private stash of type 4 parts and have for some time. Just like I am sitting on a stash of 71 parts. Good luck with what ever you choose. Have fun.

Latest posts