1679 opinions please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the upgrade funds driven? 1641 etc wont make to much difference for the cost. Better off saving the pennies and going for a 1776 as this will give you much more for the upgrade. :mrgreen:

Not really money driven, its just my 1600 is pretty reliable at the moment.
Slow but reliable.

I'm planning on going much bigger at some point, just wanted something a little extra for the winter TBH.

You don't reckon it's worth the hassle then?!

I wouldnt bother myself. If you want more beans then how about some bigger carbs (weber twin 34icts & up) At least this way you will get more beans and have some nice carbs already when you upgrade to a bigger engine later. They are easy to fit and will give you more beans when needed :wink:

Already running twin 34's, Pertonix Ignitor, flamethrower coil etc on the 1600 mate.

Think i'll leave it all till next year and spend my money on the new motor!

Thanks for your help.

Just finished my rebuild upto 1700 recently - stock barrels & forged pistons, 74mm crank, 36 drlas, w100 cam, turbo thomas stainless turbo muffler & header.
Made a huge difference I drive up a 2.5 mile hill on the way to work (clydach gorge), used to manage about 40-45 in 3rd gear(4th would just slow down) I now go up it in 4th@65 & I overtake stuff :wink: the engine wasnt in bad nick prior to the rebuild either as it had only done 50k from new.

caesar said:
Already running twin 34's, Pertonix Ignitor, flamethrower coil etc on the 1600 mate.

Think i'll leave it all till next year and spend my money on the new motor!

Thanks for your help.

No worries dood, its always worth saving up the cash to go for something that bit more special. @ 1641 etc is okay, but if you have to go bigger then do it right :wink: broom broom! 8)

Call me shallow mate, but a quick bus is something i need in my life! hehe

Hopefully going to drive Sonny's burnt westy at the weekend with his new 2165 with twin 48's.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/SONNY66/?action=view&current=Busruns002.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im pretty sure that will help me make up my mind! :wink:

yet another subject of much mis-informed mythologising within the air-cooled VW scene... the bolt-on 'thinwall' 88mm capacity upgrade must be the most maligned of the 'economy' upgrades... i too would suggest you steer clear of them but why ? i've never so much as built a 1679 let alone had one blow up on me, so i'm only going on hearsay... or am i ? you only have to look at the wall thickness of an 85.5 mm barrel and then take 1.25 mm away from either side to realise that you're getting into dodgy territory, but i still feel uncomfortable doling out advice without any hands-on experience, much like i was for example quite happy to take the p*ss out of people who enjoyed four weddings and a funeral until one of them asked me what exactly it was about it that i found so disagreeable ?

fair comment... i hadn't actually seen it, so i scuttled off to budget video or whatever and did my research... turns out it was worse than even my wildest fears so i was right all along but at least i could back my big talk up.

to this end i have acquired a set of bolt-on 87mm pistons which i fully intend to build up and inevitably blow up just so i can back up my forum-based witterings with real-life experience.

that said, i'm no further along with my beard of bees either, so what i say i'm GOING to do and what i actually DO tend to be two different things altogether :roll:

*stroker crank for the win*

:wink:

A good solid stroker engine would be the call of the day for me, but a bomb proof 1776 will take the edge for me, id say 8) thats only down to cash tho. (not that im skint mind, ive just got 2 dubs and a healthy tattoo obsession to maintain! :mrgreen:

the councillor said:
yet another subject of much mis-informed mythologising within the air-cooled VW scene... the bolt-on 'thinwall' 88mm capacity upgrade must be the most maligned of the 'economy' upgrades... i too would suggest you steer clear of them but why ? i've never so much as built a 1679 let alone had one blow up on me, so i'm only going on hearsay... or am i ? you only have to look at the wall thickness of an 85.5 mm barrel and then take 1.25 mm away from either side to realise that you're getting into dodgy territory, but i still feel uncomfortable doling out advice without any hands-on experience, much like i was for example quite happy to take the p*ss out of people who enjoyed four weddings and a funeral until one of them asked me what exactly it was about it that i found so disagreeable ?

fair comment... i hadn't actually seen it, so i scuttled off to budget video or whatever and did my research... turns out it was worse than even my wildest fears so i was right all along but at least i could back my big talk up.

to this end i have acquired a set of bolt-on 87mm pistons which i fully intend to build up and inevitably blow up just so i can back up my forum-based witterings with real-life experience.

that said, i'm no further along with my beard of bees either, so what i say i'm GOING to do and what i actually DO tend to be two different things altogether :roll:

*stroker crank for the win*

:wink:

Just my penny's worth for all the people with no "hands-on experience". :lol:
I built a 1679 with EMPI 88's, new heads, 110 cam, a Weber 32/36, and a stainless single quiet pack. Put it in the back of my '72 Devon cross and used it nearly every day until it was sold in 2004. Drove to and from North Devon most weekends, loaded with family and belongings, along A361 and didn't hang about on the motorway either. Never had a problem with the engine.
For some reason the 1679 seems to have been tarred with the unreliability brush, or is it because it's not "the" engine to have?

unfortunately i have got hands on experience. i had a 1679, with 110 cam and only got a couple of 1000 miles out of it from the recon before it fried itself 50 miles into a trip round france - sure i used to out my foot down, but not ridiculously slow

it was a nicely fast engine that pulled like a train, but i figure it was just too highly tuned for a weighty beast like a bus

Latest posts