1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers ooro, yes nice to put faces to names and busses.

MOT time today passed (waiting was worse than being at a dentist lol, seemed to take ages)
with only advisory on rear wheel bearings and oil leak, well if it dont leak you need to top it up lol

had a TMI rear seat cover waiting when got back form Brighton so fitted that today and insulated under rear seat, also fitted chrome trim i bought at brighton only 1 small bit between doors missing now,

seats as they were

new covers on just need to settle down a bit well happy only took an hr or so to do,

new old door trim ive never had fitted now, took about 1hr per piece to polish up with electric drill and 3 part polishing kit
but makes a differance

so 6,000 miles in two years with only slight hick up when leaving Brighton with carb leaking, not bad for a old VW

got some striped down land rover buddy seats of e-bay think i will just be useing the bases as only intend to use them when stopped,

little bit of work but for £0.99 plus £15 postage worth messing about with

striped and painted metal work on buddy seats adn trial fitted to see what they looked like

think they will work ok,

also reballenced carbs from when i had to strip right hand one at Brighton runs a bit smoother again now

spent the afternoon under a Vulcan bomber for a photo shoot for Volksworld mag

me looking a twit lol

sly one of the photographer

Great pics! Not every day you park under a Vulcan bomber! :shock:

Is it me, or does the photographer look a little like Mr Bean???...... :?

Love seeing new pics of your bus though!

Cheers,

Alistair

Should be well wicked pictures 8)

Looking forward to seeing these :mrgreen:

Mr Bean :lol:

Cheers guys
Needed somewhere on short notice, and it was raining as im a member of the midland air museum it was the first place i thought off, had to take rear rack off as it was a bit tight under there lol
Now the delema mr bean the photographer said he will do me a full set of high res copies for a £100
Im tempted, as I would never pay to have them done otherwise. He took 135 photos ok a lot are duplictes but there are pleanty of good ones,
Or is he just trying to get money to replace a flash he had run over on a previous photo shoot lol

Nice pics! A corvair powered bay in a mag - will look out for that one! I`ve just got my split tuned and going - got to put some new seals in to fix a few oil leaks, but it pulls like a train :D

I saw on your earlier pics that the engine didn`t have a remote oil filter fitted - do you mind me asking where you got your remote oil filter housing from?

I`d also be interested in how you made those heater outlets which connect to the shrouds :)

cheers, mike

mike.s said:
Nice pics! A corvair powered bay in a mag - will look out for that one! I`ve just got my split tuned and going - got to put some new seals in to fix a few oil leaks, but it pulls like a train :D

I saw on your earlier pics that the engine didn`t have a remote oil filter fitted - do you mind me asking where you got your remote oil filter housing from?

I`d also be interested in how you made those heater outlets which connect to the shrouds :)

cheers, mike

Hiya mike
Remote oil filter was allready there, if u need to do it I think you have to cut oil filter off and tap housing to accept pipe fittings shoul think someone still does the filter housing, also have remote oil cooler in system as well thats the reason for the air duct on rhs of bus,
As for heater valves used old cv joint cover cut rubber off and welded a tube to it drilled a hole and made a flap to fit inside, welded that to a shaft then made a link to fit original heater cables sounds complicated but not that hard if u can do a bit of fabrication, theres a photo on page 4 of this thread think theres one of the connector link somewhere as well.
Glad ur bus is workin ok with ur corvair

Cheers myvanway
Only photos taken dont know when they will be used

great - thanks for the tip on the cv cover - i`ll gvie that a go as i`m sure i`ve got old ones hanging around somewhere.

cheers

Looking good Peter, I was only the other day telling my mate about your Covair powered bay (from when we met at Brighton Breeze) as he didn't believe me.
Look forward to showing him the mag feature :D
Under the wing of a Vulcan, don't come much cooler than that :msn4:

Cheers howie, was a good place to hide from the rain lol

E bay strikes again found this and no one else bid on it, 1950's dash cigarette holder with built in lighter, been havin a play and it works (might need to fit resistor to stop burning the wire element out) just need to figure where to mount it.

Off to Coventry transport museum for the camper light up on sunday, got loads of tacky lights for the bus lol

Coventry transport museum Christmas camper and scooter light display today, got second prize for my effort
Only one other early bay good spread of other years,and scooters turned up.
Now more lights and bigger to improve for next year lol

dodge6x6 said:
Now the delema mr bean the photographer said he will do me a full set of high res copies for a £100
Im tempted, as I would never pay to have them done otherwise. He took 135 photos ok a lot are duplictes but there are pleanty of good ones,
Or is he just trying to get money to replace a flash he had run over on a previous photo shoot lol

Please say you didnt pay Pete!?
Photogtapher on my shoot sent me the pics free of charge once the magazine had been released. Afterall he has already been paid for it. Think he's pulling a fast one there bud!!
The shoot looks good, look forward to reading the feature when its out. Nice one! :)

own a Bay?........Feel the love!

cheers for the info Foz, not paid and funds have to go elsewhere so now so will have to wait for mag to get in touch

just got back from weekend of rock and roll at Pontins at Pakefield ate to much drank to much but saw some wicked bands,
Elvis was there also Roy Orbison
used the bus to go over to Pakefield for a wicked weekend, 370+ miles round trip no probs,
and i think it was resonable on the fuel without the roof racks on not that i ever bother to check

ended up finding a antique centre on way back and buying some more travel junk, a 70's picnic 4 tray set this time,

why is it we find so much stuf to buy, bought a skateboard off e-bay and i have never used one in my life lol
went to another antique and collectors fair and bought a hand crank norwegen pattern fog horn, why i dont know i just liked it lol

cheers for now

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, only ended up with one splitty present so wasnt too bad apart from not feeling 100%,
Well at least it stoped me from overeating lol

Tought id make some more roofrack junk so made this at work the last few days before Christmas as we wernt that buisy,
From bits of old ikea shelving and some other tubes that were lying around, dont know if to paint it or let it go rusty.

Latest posts