1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah - you know what - if the weathers ok, i`m just going to stick it back in next weekend and see how it goes!

i`ll recheck the compression though. I`m hoping it'll all go in ok as since it was in i`ve changed the gearbox to a later 12v beetle one!

your dead right about the sealing tin - thats on my list of things to do. It surprising just how similiar it looks to a vw flat 4 when its stripped down!

is yours the 110bhp 140 engine? if it is - what did you set the timing to - 14 degrees BTDC? i think in that video i just had it set to 0 degrees as i wasn`t too sure. It was running at about 1500 rpm though as the chokes were wide open and forcing the throttle to open more aswell. I`ll probably disable the chokes to be honest if i can get it started without them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with all the questions - should`ve just pm`d you really!!

cheers, Mike

Hi mike dont bother me,
Mines a ex turbo engine that was fitted with carbs when I got it, also running a corvair gearbox so still rotates correct way for engine, yours will be oposite rotation for running vw box.
Only about 80hp in that set up but im ok with that,
As for set up not even touched it lol still got same points in it from I belive 1994 when it was parked up!
Carbs were referbs from ebay usa set to manual choke cable as I requested, vertualy take it off choke as soon as its started

Check out the corvair centre forum for lots of information, post tech questions and u will have the answers u
Need by the next morning helped me loads

nice one - thanks for the help - i`ll leave your thread be now - nice bus by the way!! i bet it runs great with that extra power!

going to take the cover off mine this morning and start scraping the remainder of the rats nests out of it! Would like to use the hoover, but i`ve been officially banned! So its a hacksaw between the cylinder/head fins and compressed air - lovely!

cheers, Mike

Welll strip out started, headliner out windows out clean up started, surface rust to tailgate seal area
But not gone through, one 5mm hole to n.s.r windowsill,
From
URL=http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/dodge6x6/media/20130908_125336_zpsdd544af7.jpg.html]
20130908_125336_zpsdd544af7.jpg
[/URL]

So far tonight

New head liner here today, mnew seals apart from front hasnt arrived yet dead line 19days and counting to get everything done

Got quite a bit done this weekend 1/3 rattle can repaint after derusting surace rust areas and masking it all up just left windscreen area to do, rebuilt 3 quarter light windows with new german quality seals that I had to cut to make fit!!!!!

URL=http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/dodge6x6/media/20130915_155409_zpsb16b8aaa.jpg.html]
20130915_155409_zpsb16b8aaa.jpg
[/URL]

Third photo shows differance in new and old seals these are german quality from top seller
Had to very carefully cut profile so it would fit in frames, not very good if u slip with Stanley knife

headliner nearly there, just a couple of little bits to do, then windows in with new delux seals and all other bits online to finnish next weekend ready to go to Brighton breaze, new curtains as well

bloody knackerd now

Looks awesome and makes a huge difference. I did my headliner myself too so I know what you've been through. It was well worth the effort though.
Very cool bus

Thanks for the comments, finally got bus done today thanks to my mate at work for spending about 8hrs polishing bus today to finish getting it ready, new floor in rear whilst he did that

New curtains as well, as ready as it will be for going away next week and Brighton on sat

Finally got back from Brighton at quarter to nine tonight a good few days away with the breeze yesterday

slight problem as we set off, got 200yards and right hand carb started pissing out fuel, so strip out and check carb on side of road seemed to be ok only got 1/4 of a mile and same again, strip out again and replace float with spare one check niddle and seat and rebuild again, this time noleak and 160mile back home to Coventry

Sun was blazing at Brighton today land rover rally wasnt any where as good today as vws yesterday
Got home to find the tmi rear seat cover waiting for me now to fit, put bus through MOT and sort insurance out

I wasn't impressed with the 1/4 light seals either, apparently WCM seals are the ones to go for.

Latest posts