1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new app on samsung note tablet

pencil_sketch_1365367383923_zps6e734bce.jpg

Great bus and pics 8) Need to do my seats, fed up of the hair falling out :roll:

Loving the power windows!

dodge6x6 said:
better picks of electric window winder units
just wish windows were smoother still seem a bit stiff

2012-12-16133946.jpg

2012-12-16134005.jpg

seat padding ordered so hopefully will rebuild front seats b4 new year.

cheers and happy x-mas to all

Nice 8) never seen those before :mrgreen:

cheers for the comments, like the widows think there cool lol

nice day at Stanford had to leave earlier than wanted as had family gathering,

got a nice scooter for grankids which they proceded to argue over when i got home very amusing watching a 2 year old argue with a 3 year old as to whos it was lol

also got roof ladder that ive been wanting so i can reach roof racks without a set of steps

must have been ok as Foz went and bought the white ones for his and his bus is a foot shorter than mine

most of the line up in place

cheers for now

Hi all, been quiet here, been out an about in bus when I can, was greasein front axle other week and found ball joint rubbers were split after only a year an half, what's happened to something called quality, seems to have disappeared from some of the parts we have to purchase. Well rant over, bought a couple of new toys
A 1968 huffy camero cruiser bicycle off ebay, at some stage in its life its been converted from a lady's bike but im ok with that. Has been owned by a splitty owner before the guy I bought it from so is prob known on vw scene.
Also bought a 1950/60's philips record player from car boot that works a treat findin out all old records to play, now need inverter on bus to play it.

Went to 1940s event in bus with norton on trailer, nice hot weekend , bus pulled trailer well didnt feel it on motorway, so wil prob be doin that for more shows.

Went to another butty run, had a nice chat with a member on here from rugby who wanted some measurements but cant remember who they were, must be gettin forgetfull in old age, if u read this drop me a pm and if u need I will bring bus over and you can take whatever measurements u need.

been out and about again 1940s shows and first vw weekender

camping 40's style at severn vally railway,

1940's travel junk lol

been to dubdayz this weekend very hot weather to hot at times, show was ok apart from we ended up camping in wrong area with three groups of wanaby music lovers with loud systems that spoilt it a bit as they had no thought for any one else,

new badges on rear

gull wing door late bay

spoke to Lobie whislt there, hope you won a prize today,

also had a long weekend in Brighton last weekend (not in bus this time) and now mrs cant wait for brighton breeze so we can go again
so will be on the look out for when that list starts, though will prob be booking into premier inn nr brighton for it

cheers for now

I like that Schimesser machine gun, I want 1! Oh and a stick grenade! :lol:

hiya not logged in for while,
k@rlos all weapons are replicas, stick grenade is wood copy and mp40 is a plastic bb gun lol

68 early bay sorry to miss u was prob when we went for a walk along the canal for a couple of miles.

had a play at work today and made my own pedal lock

also got a steering wheel coer and sowed it on, think it looks smart

only other thing done was fill it with fuel again and drive it around

cheers for now

Awesome. 8)

Can you get them roof rack ladders online?
I know you and foz got them from Stanford Hall but I didn't get chance.

:D

myvanway 69 said:

Awesome. 8)

Can you get them roof rack ladders online?
I know you and foz got them from Stanford Hall but I didn't get chance.

:D

hiya cheers

thinkits same guy selling roof racks in dealer section makes the ladders,
user name "cjhmk1 " as bought roof racks last year from him at Stanford.
he was selling racks on e-bay at one time if that helps

This should be fun, partners set me a challange for Brighton show, strip out and replace headlining,
and all new window seals,
so £590+ for bits and bobs from C & C to collect at Busfest (thankfull of 15% show discount),
and headliner on order as well from wonderland classics, looks like i will be buisy,

was going for TMI headlinner untill told it didnt include extra bits for down windows!!,

Good luck with all that Pete! :)

-------------------------------
Own a Bay?.......Feel the Love!!

Pete - Where did you mount your rear support bar to on the engine? It doesn`t look like its on the stock engine mount points under the pulley.

I have a split which has is shorter than a bay and would need to make a mount which fits further on the engine- it didn`t have an engine mount when i got the bus, but i reckon i`d rather run with one if possible!!

Also - what did you do about the exhaust - fab up your own?

and finally(!) - can you remember which fuel pipe and oil cooler fittings you used and where you got them from?

cheers, mike

Cheers Foz, just hope i can get all the parts quick enough, 3 weeks to do it lol

cheers monkiboy side scoops are modified scooby bonnet scoops form e-bay

mike.s said:
Pete - Where did you mount your rear support bar to on the engine? It doesn`t look like its on the stock engine mount points under the pulley.

I have a split which has is shorter than a bay and would need to make a mount which fits further on the engine- it didn`t have an engine mount when i got the bus, but i reckon i`d rather run with one if possible!!

Also - what did you do about the exhaust - fab up your own?

and finally(!) - can you remember which fuel pipe and oil cooler fittings you used and where you got them from?

cheers, mike

hiya Mike
My bus came with engine and gearbox allready fitted, it has a bar going under engine to cradle it and only mounted by sump bolts toengine but still mounts to orginal VW mounts and mounting points

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff437/dodge6x6/IMG_0280.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its the bar on the floor in the back ground not brilliant and cant remove rocker cover on one side without removing it but as they are hydraulic tappets not a problem,
exhaust is what came with it prob home made but make sure you have a link pipe between the two sides to ballance flow,
the fuel and oil hose came from demon tweeks if i remember correctly

will be at Brighton breeze if your going if you want a look

thats great - i can see how the bar attaches to the sump bolts, but i know what you mean about removing the rocker covers.

Your exhaust looks exactly the same as mine! Must be a well used design! Good shout about the link though.

Here -

IMAG1345.jpg

When you had low compression, what did readings did you have? before i`d run the engine i had about 145psi all around apart from number 3 where i had 115psi.

I had it running in the van after i`d renewed the ignition and replaced the carbs with rebuilt ones from clarkes.

I was going to give it a go just running it properly just to see how it went as i hav`ent the time, space or cash at the moment to rebuild it properly. i was hoping that after running it a bit, it may burn some some old fuel and bits out and raise the compression back (i`ll be lucky!!)

heres mine running :D -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iH4cG-cHM

Would like to go to brighton breeze but not sure i`ll make it this year!

hiya Mike sounds good,
yours is only the 5th or 6ht VW that i have heard of in uk with Corvair still in, picks of fast late bay earlier in this thread.
dont know if you want to or not but i have VW silencer tips on exhaust outlets and think mine sounds good, not much noise inside van either,

dont think i had that much compresson, think mine was down to 50psi on one before i started, have you tried compresson test again now its running, cant say i have after second rebuild to replace head rings and have done about 5.500miles so far, like you say might be worth just giving it a try,
was warned to make sure engine sealed in bay allround to prevent overheating and aid flow throught engine cooling fan,
made my own tin and used old pop top seal between them,

if valve seat has turned dont worry to much it only cost about £100 to replace and regrind all others and valves,

Latest posts