1970 DORMOBILE - COMPLETE RESTO - IT PASSED :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok today i put the doors and sliding door back on the van to mark up where i was stonchipping to bottom of the van as i thought with me going even lower than it is i want to give it some sort of protection :p

but when i put the sliding door on i slipped on the air hose and chipped the paintwork - bugger
695.jpg

all sorted
696.jpg

all the van done apart from n/s rear corner as need to measure something for a modification, its low BUT NOT LOW ENGOUGH, only poblem in the drive is quite steep and sods law i wont get the van out when i drop it more :)
697.jpg

i also sprayed the inner parts of the cab doors, and this time no runs and went on nicely :D
698.jpg

699.jpg

the rear hatch is proving a nightmare for some reason, have flatted back and primed the lower section but its reacting again, so im going to sort this later as i want to get on with the rest of the van now
700.jpg

i also sprayed the steering column in sandalwood beige
701.jpg

Starting to look like a van now 8)
What are you using to spray - 50L Compressor, HVLP unit?

a 25l compressor i got from aldi a few years ago and a gravity fed gun, which im my opinion are way better than suction fed as they dont use ase much air pressure and feel more comfortable to handle

my gun uses about 45-50psi for paint and about 55-60psi for high build primer

absolutely gutted :( the red 9 design bus which is on the front cover of camper and commercial, looks awesome and saw it at vanfest last year but, i was going to do something similar with mine, ie the stripes and the writing on the side, but dont want to feel like im stealing the idea/design etc, i wont be having 3 stripes and the writing would obviously be different but dont want it looking to similar

what should i do

ok managed to spray the interior today whopppeeee :D looking lovely

702.jpg

703.jpg

704.jpg

and the front
705.jpg

ive also made the miserable descision to removed all the paint from the rear hatch and petrol flap and start again, which is a ball ache but at least the paint shouldnt react
706.jpg

707.jpg

that metal fuel cap looks cool as is!!!

great thread, great colour...bet you cant wait!

just coming to the end of my mini resto now and it takes ages but is worth it!

dubman24 said:
that metal fuel cap looks cool as is!!!

great thread, great colour...bet you cant wait!

just coming to the end of my mini resto now and it takes ages but is worth it!

im loving the colour more and more :), seems to look differnet ever time, one minuted its brown, then more green, then beige grey im waiting for it to go pink now hehe

ok today i have finally sprayed the roof and its looking good
708.jpg

bit of a crap picture of the rear, van hasnt left the garage since i started it :( plus with it being low and the drive steep not sure if ill get in onto the road :D
709.jpg

finally sorted out the rear hatch :D yipeeeeeeee and no dodgy reactions this time, the pertrol flap however is still giving me grief, such a little panel and i cant get it flat :p
710.jpg

last bit of stopper
711.jpg

all done
712.jpg

the doors have been put back on as i want to spray them and the van together, and to see how the colour looks on the inside and im well chuffed
713.jpg

i am almost ready to spray the body so i am now going round the panels flatting them all back, done the cab doors and the os middle panel

714.jpg

715.jpg

716.jpg

also gave the sterring column plate a coat of gloss black and loosely fitted the steering column after painting to see what it looks like and im happy with the contrast :D
717.jpg

718.jpg

hopefully over next day or so i can spray the van :D:D:D:D:D:D

Totally outstanding 8)
Loving the colour too - not sure at the beginning, but now starting to like!

So close as you say in your title :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Totally outstanding 8)
Loving the colour too - not sure at the beginning, but now starting to like!

So close as you say in your title :mrgreen:

cheers dude :D

must admit i was the same about the colour but have to admit i am proud of my choice :)

ok i got some paint on it today :D and looks great

first i flatted the rest of the panels and also got the petrol flap sorted, the smallest panel typical it was the hardest to sort

719.jpg

720.jpg

721.jpg

then the fun bit

frontpanel
722.jpg

n/s door
723.jpg

petrol flap
724.jpg

rear
725.jpg

havent got any pics of the sides as couldnt get a good enough image

also painted the fuel cap in sandalwood
726.jpg

have given teh van about 2-3 coats of paint will give it some more tomorrow .

i decided to clean the front windscreen while the paint was drying as it is covered in stonechip and paint etc, so used some 1200 wet/dry on both sides and its not too bad, some scrathes over it but will get some scratch repair paste at some point

this is how manky it was
727.jpg

well today started well and sorta went downhill a bit, my own fault clumsy me :roll:

thought id put the stripes on the van and did the front first in PASTEL WHITE and it looks wicked, so i did the front of the roof and slipped off the stool and whoops

728.jpg

NICE
729.jpg

WHOOPS STUPID ME FELL OFF THE STOOL, gonna have to let this dry completely before attempting anything on this :( maybe sunday or monday
739.jpg

the roof is goo but ran out of pastel so off to halfords to get more :)
731.jpg

732.jpg

this gives you a better view of the colour
733.jpg

also took the timewear of and got rid of the silver and liked the rat look so laquered it
734.jpg

just hope the front looks good in the end

ok today i had to sort out those stripes and i asked my dad for a bit of help which had its upsides and downsides :)

i finished the roof off which looks good
735.jpg

repainted the front panel and then masked up and repainted the stripes so now they are sorted and looking as good as the first time :roll:
736.jpg

737.jpg

just as good
738.jpg

i also sorted out the blemish opn the passenger door
739-1.jpg

whilst i was doing the front i asked my dad to mask up the rear hatch ready for me to spray [HE AINT SPRAYING ANYTHING:) ] so off he went and did a good job, so then i put some paint on and afterwards noticed something

look closer :D
740.jpg

the line on the left is 8mm wider than on the left so i let it dry and then flatted the edge back so i could restart that stripe

741.jpg

will redo the stripe on sunday
742.jpg

i have also put the wiring back in place around the dash area and the engine bay and whislt routing through a box of spares i found some us spec chrome late split rear light lense thingys, so to make em fit i spent 30mins looking for mu junior hacksaw which turned up hanging on my tool wall :roll: and cut the edges of the light lenses so they fit nice and snug and also saves 20-30 quid on those ones which look like they have a chrome painted edge

743.jpg

YESSSSSSSS the stripes are done, thank god :D:D but looking niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

luckily the stripes didnt take to much time on the rear just trying to get a decent line around the engine lid licence plate light
744.jpg

745.jpg

will let everything dry/cure and start putting a few bit back together

Wow - love the strips 8)
Nice job by your dad - wouldn't let mine near anything I do......

Have you started to laquer yet or are you planning to leave as it ;)

gninnam said:
Wow - love the strips 8)
Nice job by your dad - wouldn't let mine near anything I do......

Have you started to laquer yet or are you planning to leave as it ;)

yeah he did a good job masking the rear hatch was just a shame it was slightly to wide, but not going to argue to much over it, didnt take to much to rectify, just had to go to halfords today again to get one more rattle can.

i would never let him spray though

he will come in handy with the pop top as he was a fibreglass engineer for over 17yrs so might have a job for him there ;)

and the strips are the dogs :D they compliment to colour so well, not sure bout laquer yet as when this paint drys it is scratch resistant lol. plus being satin paint dont want it to shiny but you never know might change my mind

Latest posts