1970 EB DC - The Dirty Diesel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to report really. Crewie tucked up in the garage with minimal space around to work.

Started stripping the LHS rear brake assembly and ordered new parts for both sides. Backing plates were rotten, no handbrake fitted, drums and pads shot. Went to remove the spring plates to replace with new adjustable ones and the previous owner has welded them to the torsion bars :cry: Bit more investigation tonight. Plan is to rebuild the whole back end, so parts on the way :D

Also awaiting delivery of the powerplant. 1.9tdi engine coupled with 5 speed box and extra VNT20 turbo. Thats the purists off me xmas list :lol:

Inspiration?
Well ...........................
9371463a99457640100977074ce6baad.jpg

bertiethebus said:
Disgrace!! :msn4: :msn4: what you doing with the engine and box you have? :mrgreen:

No doubt add it too the ever growing pile of disused crap I have :lol:

Looks like I'll have a spare 1303 box too ;)

DubBGood2Me said:
bertiethebus said:
Disgrace!! :msn4: :msn4: what you doing with the engine and box you have? :mrgreen:

No doubt add it too the ever growing pile of disused crap I have :lol:

Looks like I'll have a spare 1303 box too ;)

Off line clandestine conversations need to be had..... :msn4: :msn4: :msn4: :msn4:

68_early_bay said:
no need to worry about the purists mate, your bus your rules :mrgreen: ill be following this one with interest as fitting a diesel isn't an easy or 5 minute job 8)

Cheers. Engine, box and ancillaries arrived. Lots of head scratching to come me thinks :lol:

So, it's been a long slog but I'm moving forward. The stubborn spring plate is off after a tickle with the grinder.

So, while I had everything apart I've been rebuilding bits.

Old bearings slightly worn

New rear bearings

Painted hub carrier

All back together

Also a fan of your inspiration. Look forward to watching this build go along 8)

Next the driveshaft and CV joints needed some work

New CV joints n boots

Planning to rebuild the back end this week although waiting for a swing arm bush.

Started on the front end too.

More soon

Got one of the front brake set ups finished and ready to fit. New bearings, new 944 ready dropped spindles from Midland Early Bay and 944 disks and calipers.

That's the nearside front and rear all ready to go back together. Happy days.

Must be a weekend for us durham lot to be working on the vans!

Do you have to press the shafts off? or they just come out?

Just wondering if the effort in rebuilding them is worth it or just buy the ready done complete unit off JK

Looking forward to seeing the diesel conversion move forward! :msn4:
Where's the radiator going?

On the subject of drive shafts, C&C have a decent discount on complete units at the moment. I just invested in a pair and was planning to rebuild the old ones as spares. Not heard great things about longevity of the aftermarket boots... but my conversion might have something to do with that :/

StinkBomber said:

On the subject of drive shafts, C&C have a decent discount on complete units at the moment. I just invested in a pair and was planning to rebuild the old ones as spares. Not heard great things about longevity of the aftermarket boots... but my conversion might have something to do with that :/

Funds gone at present so might check nearer the time to see. If its £10-£20 difference not worth rebuilding. If its nearer £60 then will rebuild old ones

Hodgins said:
Also a fan of your inspiration. Look forward to watching this build go along 8)

Cheers. I need inspiration working in this damn cold ............... :roll:

gninnam said:
Looking very nice and you seem to be flying through now :)

Getting there mate. I feel like its starting to move along.

Webbaldo said:
Must be a weekend for us durham lot to be working on the vans!

Do you have to press the shafts off? or they just come out?

Just wondering if the effort in rebuilding them is worth it or just buy the ready done complete unit off JK

Not sure what you mean Webbaldo :oops:

The drive shafts just unbolt from the gearbox (either spline or hex head allen key) and fall off or at least mine did. Then the CV joints are removed by prising off the retainer circlip. Pretty simple really.

I think I bought mine form a GSF 33% off weekend. The german quality ones though ;) I'll double check and let you know

StinkBomber said:

Diesel conversion may take a while as I want to get the bus up and running first so will stick with the 1500 singleport that came with it. Still need to find a suitable position for the radiator especially as its a Porsche GT3 jobbie.

The rebuild begins

New adjustable spring plates going on with new doughnuts. A tight fit hence the extra long bolts.

Rebuilt hubs back on.

Really wanted to underseal everything before it was rebuilt but I need it back on 4 wheels so I can move it.

I started building up the rear brakes but missed out the top spring so took the whole lot apart again and then ran out of time. Bugger.

DubBGood2Me said:
The rebuild begins

New adjustable spring plates going on with new doughnuts. A tight fit hence the extra long bolts.

Rebuilt hubs back on.

Really wanted to underseal everything before it was rebuilt but I need it back on 4 wheels so I can move it.

I started building up the rear brakes but missed out the top spring so took the whole lot apart again and then ran out of time. Bugger.

Is your bodywork done or are you focusing on running gear first? God I wish I had a garage, bus would have been finished months ago :D

I'm doing the running gear first Mark.

I would've preferred to do the welding but I just don't have the space, so hoping to have it up and running first which gives me more time to find a lock up / workshop :roll:

Latest posts