1970 EB DC - The Dirty Diesel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work has commenced again. Finally :roll:
Now I just need to be a contortionist to fit under the bus to cut out and weld.

First objective. Front crossmember

Pretty rotten but not as bad as the rear.

Couldn't work out why only the crossmembers have rusted and not the chassis rails. But I guess the layers of sand packed into them had something to do with it :shock:

Nice mess

One down, one to go

So with one section cut out it was time to crack out the welder and re-teach myself how to weld. It's been a while

First attempt

Nothing a grinder can't fix :lol:

Section spot welded in too

Due to my lack of garage space, I've had to get the crewie out the garage, turned around and pushed back in. All on my todd too!

But before I started to cut out the rear cross member, I decided to create some access by removing the engine and gearbox. Again, on me todd

This was the concoction of parts holding the engine bar on :shock:

Engine and box are now out and the rear cross member is cut out. No pictures yet though. More to follow

Engine and gearbox are out and have been moved to the shed. Christ it's hard getting an engine up 8 steps, across a garden and into a shed on your own.

Engine in all it's finery. The old exhaust literally fell off and the engine support bar had more weld in it than metal. I guess the scrapman will be happy.

Desert storm gearbox

When I split the engine from the box I found some interesting pieces of metal in the bell housing. There's small springs, needle bearings and what looks like parts of shims? One of our club members confirmed my assumption that it might be off an old starter motor.

Started to strip the engine. This will be continued on the colder nights. But next I'm back on the welding :roll:

Itll be mot'ed before mine at this rate!

Paul was right that's 100% deffo half a starter bush in the bell housing :D

I only know as I've just replaced mine.

The bodged carb from hell. Check out the accelerator cable :lol: and the bodge repair :shock:
All spindles are worn, no automatic choke and a fooked bolt to the base. so it'll be up For Sale soon !!!!

I need to do a bit more grinding on the chassis before I can weld the next bit in so with the kids being in bed I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

This meant more engine time and therefore more issues :roll:

Old generator alongside replacement generator. Who knew?

I never knew you could get different sized generators :x From what I have researched, there's a chance my bus was running a 6v generator hence the smaller size or maybe a different voltage?? The replacement dynamo is 12v and of course with the fan on it won't fit in the fan housing. And talking about the fan housing, check out this low profile fella

On a positive note, the engine is stripped of ancillaries :lol:

Well next piece in and my welding is improving. Only very slightly like :shock: :lol: :lol:

I've also added the central pipe for the heating system and had to replace the metal conduit for the wiring loom. Under sealed the areas above the two pipes before fitting :wink:

Just a bit of tidying to do and some seam sealer then next step renew all the brake pipes. Finally some progress without problems

As you can see, space under the bus is very tight. I'm aching all over from contortions I didn't know I could do. Nothing worse than weld in your beard and being trapped under a bus :lol: :lol: :lol:

DubBGood2Me said:
As you can see, space under the bus is very tight. I'm aching all over from contortions I didn't know I could do.

Nice progress on the resto, but this is why I bought a roll over frame when I my chassis welding last January. I sold it on again afterwards for the same as it cost me :D

kiwisteve said:
DubBGood2Me said:
As you can see, space under the bus is very tight. I'm aching all over from contortions I didn't know I could do.

Nice progress on the resto, but this is why I bought a roll over frame when I my chassis welding last January. I sold it on again afterwards for the same as it cost me :D

Not a bad idea but I'm not sure that I'd fit one in my smaller than small single garage :oops:

Feel your pain mate, being on a slanted drive I try and do stuff without jacking up the van. Sick of hitting my elbow off the rear plate covers.

Adjusting the clutch cable with hand/molegrips in between the CV joints is fun as well :lol:

The wife hasn't figured out why I regularly want to change the sitting room rug though yet!, Ideal work mats!

There was a postal delay with the seam sealer :roll: so I started on the rear brake pipes.

There was a shed load of sand and dirt everywhere so after stripping what was left of the old brake pipework I cleaned the torsion tubes and give them a lick of underseal. Using the Hammerite stuff out of spray cans. It goes on pretty well. Did the inaccessible areas first. I'll get the underneath later.

So new rear brake lines in, new flexis and new rear brakes.

Managed to get the crewie back out the garage, turned around and pushed back in.
Front brake pipes next.

Looking good 8)
For the rear pipes did you buy pre-cut or just a roll and cut to length/flared yourself as I have to do this soon?

gninnam said:
Looking good 8)
For the rear pipes did you buy pre-cut or just a roll and cut to length/flared yourself as I have to do this soon?
Cheers
I bought a pre cut set from c&c when they were doing one of the discount deals. Made sense for me as most of my brake lines were missing so I had nothing to benchmark it against.

Cheers - I still have some of mine so will probably buy a roll and the flaring tool and make my own - not at that stage yet but something to think about ;)

If your after seam sealer, Schultz, owt like that, I can just order it & get the money off you at club meets ????

Latest posts