1970 Savanagh Beige Deluxe, The Sausage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed this first time round - looks like a good canvas to work with and likeing the new seats 8)

Hi Analog and Ego trippin, wont be able to make it this week cos got the drivers seat apart in the bathroom while i try and do it up but not going well so far. Live by the hospital but couldn't get the extension lead long enough from our 1st floor flat so every time i need to do anything that needs power i gotta go over me mates in five dials and thats where some of the pics were taken. Will get myself registered with demon dweebs when i get a mo, when do you guys meet up in Brighton?

Sausage said:
when do you guys meet up

first wednesday of every month around 8 ish madeira drive, roughly somwhere near the concorde, its worth looking at the site first to see if anyones meeting though, generally, if its below 30 degrees or wet/snowy/cloudy it could be doubtful ;)

Headed up to Santa Pod over the bank holiday for a bit of Top fuel action and to use the van as intended, headed outta Brighton and got about 20 mins before the fanbelt snapped. Typical! Once fixed and back on the road everything was fine and got up there around midnight and it was well busy. Am used to Santa Pod VW events but this was as busy as Bugjam. Rained hard all day Saturday and no racing so a bit of beer drunk wandering around the pits, Sunday was dry but windy and Monday was the same. Lots of beer and ended up with a bit of sunburn.
Best run was 319 Mph at 4.7 seconds. Them top fuel cars are awesome :D :D :D

The car below managed to wipe out the starting lights on his burnout. Schoolboy error. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Been a while since last posted cos been a busy bee but have managed to get a few more bits sorted out on the van. Have managed to get all the door locks working so can actually use it now, have replaced the windscreen seal so no more using gaffer tape to keep the rain out and popped a new stereo in it.
Took it up to the Bus Stop at Crowborough yesterday and had a nice weekend but didn't make the cruise down to Eastbourne due to both of us having banging heads after the all day session. Headed back to Brighton for a Roast dinner instead... ;)
Cant wait for Bugjam now, hoping this week goes quick!

Done a 1000 miles over last 2 weeks in the van as on holidays and been visiting people. Headed outta Brighton and up to Marlborough and Salisbury, then down to Weymouth and then onto Torbay before a quick stop off in Dorset and Wiltshire again. No probs with the van apart from developing a bit of a backfire out the exhaust every now and then and managed to get 29 mpg. Both of us had a great time and somehow we only had 1 day of rain, which makes all the difference. Didn't take a load of pics for some reason but here are some of them.

Not gonna be able to this thursday cos first day back at work for almost 2 weeks and working lates. Its a pain in the arse getting the bus at the mo cos am keeping it out past Lewes and takes 25 mins to get out there but after following Egotrippin's bus back down the M23 on Sunday am gonna pull my finger out and get on the Dweebs site and get involved in things.

cool bus dude

couple of questions

1 how low did t2d lower you bus?

and where did you get your rnr bed from n for how much if you dont mine me asking,my bus arrives soon and i need a bed.lol

agen cool bus dude

cheers
matt

Hiya Matt, The bus is down around 3 inch's i reckon. It is 1 spline at the rear and on adjusters at the front. Plan to put the back down another spline and maybe a touch more at the front but like it to ride the bumps well so not too far.
I got the bed off VZi and it was 300 quid for the whole thing; frame, cushions, and kick board. Was lucky cos it was still wrapped in plastic so good condition, the cushion colour was the right colour for bus and the bloke only lived 30 mins from home. New beds are well expensive once you buy them and get them covered so have a look in the parts for sale on here, or VZi or Ebay.

Hiya Gninnam, love getting out and about in it, well untill the weather turns. Heading up Santa Pod this weekend for my drag racing fix before the winter sets in and reckon maybe another weekend before the camping comes to a halt for the year.

Headed up Santa Pod this weekend for the National Finals. Had another great time up there as always but the drink really started to work by the time dark came so there was some stupid dancing in the Fuellers followed by some more whiskey.

The bus has its 41st birthday tomorrow[kinda wierd cos its also mine as well but only 34] so he got treated to a polish and wax. 5 hours, nearly a bottle of polish and a whole bottle of wax later and left with this. He comes up nice but need to get some ankor wax on the bits of surface rust. Had it undersealed and waxoiled at the start of September and just got to get some new door rubbers and he will be ready for the winter. I dont like the winter, 6 months to go until next trip to Santa Pod and Big Bang seems like forever away... :( :( :(

Been doing bits and bobs over the past few months trying to get the van watertight in time for the winter. Nearly done it all now, have replaced all the rubbers for the doors and hatches and used some Captain Tolleys Creep and Cure[Good stuff] around all the windows in the back along with a little silicone sealer,

Changed the drivers side scrapers, [still got to do passengers whilst i think about it]

Ankor waxed the whole thing, thought long and hard about doing it after reading different things but tried a little trial area and was hard pushed to tell the difference in paint once i had buffed it up.
Wax on, [not the easiest thing to see from the pics]

Wax off, [well, sort off, half done and half not]

3 sides and half the roof done,

Still got to finish the slider and passenger door and then the roof but it is such a ball breaker and takes forever so keep on finding other things to do. Good stuff and comes up pretty well but it is a real mission to bring it up but the water runs off real well and hoping to not do it again for a long time!

Fixed the dodgy brake resoviour so no more brake fluid dripping on the cab floor and sorted the heater hoses out back to get the heat going proper.

More Ankor wax has gone into the door insides up front and slowely working my way back,

Next job [apart from finishing the fooking ankor wax buffing] will be treating the surface rust on the inside, then some hammerite and can then spend my money on something that you can see! Once its dry gonna be giving Madmatz a call for some stuff to fit out the cab.

And the van has a new friend where i store him but it has seen far better days. Filler and rustholes everywhere. The workshop has quoted the man 20k to do it up apparantly. Blokie must have more money than sense! Tempted to get his number off the workshop to see if he wants to buy mine and see how much he would pay!

Nice looking bus sausage, look forward to seeing in the metal sometime. my first bus was a 70 in savanagh beige so have a real soft spot for them.

thanks mister, dont get as much use out of it in the winter but you might see me giving it a run past Lewes on the A27 once a week!
Got a few more hours in today and got the rest of the Ankor wax of the panels. Just need to finish the roof. Also got a new cover this week [its a stormforce one], fits well but couldn't get the aerial off the van so had to bend it to the shape of the windscreen a bit to get the cover on.

Latest posts