1970 Savanagh Beige Deluxe, The Sausage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick mini-service and a good wash,

1JV8P.jpg

And off to Norfolk for a few days, stayed at Manor Farm just outside of Cromer. Nice campsite.
Got there Monday lunchtime and sat in the Sun for a couple of days,

1YPlX.jpg

Got pretty hot so had to use the sun canopy for the 1st time in 3 years. Knew it would come in handy one day...

cskj5.jpg

0E4pM.jpg

Headed into Cromer on Wednesday and got drunk on the pier and town,

4Z3Co.jpg

n0zT6.jpg

D3Ui2.jpg

LwTfC.jpg

Was a fun walk back along the Beach to get home...

qVFIp.jpg

xhSWn.jpg

O8QpR.jpg

Packed up and left Thursday,

WbTn6.jpg

BYUSH.jpg

Stopped in at the Thursford Steam Collection,

Lovely old running Switchback ,

78m0b.jpg

D2bZM.jpg

Original Savages Gallopers with centre engine,

2wbTE.jpg

P0dV4.jpg

WXYJA.jpg

Sparkling Showman's Engines,

vGfbM.jpg

RoQHn.jpg

Had a good time and a sceptical Sarah liked it as well. Going on the old rides swung it.

Oyncg.jpg

Stayed the Thursday night at a place in Huntingdon,

xH64L.jpg

8hSpL.jpg

Friday morning and time for Bugjam,

LYsxi.jpg

Friday got messy,

KuqQ4.jpg

xcMuG.jpg

Sarah managed to get into the Fireforce tent for a closer look,

2tgLr.jpg

1ViXS.jpg

v9r0w.jpg

OkCQn.jpg

Q9yOE.jpg

Out and about on Saturday checking things out but not many pics,

UXaoh.jpg

ClmEz.jpg

AbDsm.jpg

And then packed up and left Sunday afternoon with another Bugjam done and dusted. Roll on next year.

tKHlB.jpg

Quick drive back to Brighton to a comfy bed.
Van was fine the whole trip and got 31 mpg on average.
That is the last of the big trips away planned for the summer so time to stay local for a while.

Spring is coming so have been busy servicing the bus between the rain and wind.
So far done valve gaps, plug gaps, points, timing, tightened fan belt, cleaned and changed oil in air filter, adjusted the brakes, checked wheel bearings, tightened up the handbrake, greased the front beam, lubed the door hinges and sliding door and changed the engine oil. MOT booked in for end of March and will have a new clutch fitted at the same time. Soon be camping time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Plan is to respray the wheels, fit a fold up table on the little cupboard by the sliding door and get some curtains made up as had enough of the Thermoblinds.
Deadline is the Easter Race meet at Santa Pod. We'll see....

Nice work Sausage 8)

Reminds me i still have one side of curtains to put up in mine when the rain eventually goes away

Ticking the boxes off the list...
A proper clean up inside and some new carpet,

wWEyl.jpg

RwA2D.jpg

Wheels off for a tidy up and paint,

nzP7v.jpg

3O0dm.jpg

R2tnN.jpg

Rubbed the rust down on the front bumper,

sapkx.jpg

eFKfy.jpg

Washed and Ankor waxed,

KvBOj.jpg

GZexB.jpg

EqeiT.jpg

MWsZE.jpg

Hubcaps polished up,

zhGrP.jpg

Started making a new fold up table for the buddy seat/cupboard,

t8zhL.jpg

Sausage said:
Fitted a dash mat in this morning. Looks a lot tidier.

I fitted my dash mat last week, then took it out within an hour! The reflection of it on the windscreen when driving was doing my head in!

Fold up table finished...

uzp67.jpg

pQGy6.jpg

1GDmN.jpg

aI4v8.jpg

New Curtains, reversible magna blinds, arrived today courtesy of Delilah's VW. Haven't tried them in the Bus yet but the quality is good and come in a smart little storage bag.

jJIpt.jpg

C3A5K.jpg

This saturday the Bus is off to Karl at Wolfsburg Wizards for MOT and new clutch. Should get it back the weekend after to pack it up ready for trip to the Pod for Big Bang the weekend after.

MOT passed for another year. 1 x ball joint, 4 balljoint rubbers and new rear brake cylinder.
Had a new clutch fitted also which makes such a difference.
Headed up Santa Pod for Big Bang. Is always a good show and had lots of fun.

WfFAx.jpg

New curtains from Deliahs are nice.

60NlS.jpg

s9wpT.jpg

bNjSX.jpg

0NX4x.jpg

rJP8B.jpg

d3pV0.jpg

Z86TQ.jpg

qvayM.jpg

Zj0u7.jpg

Headed over to Apex the weekend before last. Got up there Friday night after something got a bit too hot under the rear seat and went bang on the drive up there.

vFcbW.jpg

Weather was shite but we had a nice looking next door neighbour....

EQVk3.jpg

GC2bK.jpg

150TF.jpg

Rain stopped around midday and took a wander but wasn't a great deal on which was probably down to the weather as it was real windy.

9xZld.jpg

Watched some racing [at least i think it was racing] but didn't really understand it as there didn't seem to be a winner. The Retro Drift cars put on a great show.

xpyJs.jpg

Took a wander around the camping fields,

0w1Ki.jpg

DeI2P.jpg

OF7Vl.jpg

zyIai.jpg

0afFj.jpg

KFX5a.jpg

Had a little wander around the pit area and saw some of the sprint cars.

AseWi.jpg

1NmAw.jpg

2Fc9y.jpg

Back to the van for some beer's

73XdH.jpg

2ePY4.jpg

Silent Disco Sarah,

CdW9o.jpg

Up in the morning for a wander around but so windy up there,

8WGhV.jpg

j0RrJ.jpg

lNoPy.jpg

NICtz.jpg

Circuit Parade time. Didn't get up in time to take part so got some pics instead.

9xecK.jpg

prYmL.jpg

BMmEA.jpg

QeJsG.jpg

yZ0jo.jpg

HkT6I.jpg

And my favourite once again,

48oWH.jpg

So would we go to Apex again next year. Well, yep, but only if the weather was looking better than this year.

After giving it a lot of thought I decided to replace the rear windows to the modern sliding ones. Quarterlights always leaked in heavy rain which was main problem. Also the magnetic curtains would have been a pain when they pivot inwards open pushing the curtains away from the body.
So replaced the rear left window with a solid pane and new seal on each side.
Middle windows came out and sliding windows went back in.
Was happy when I saw the window opening, zero rust...

hIJkV.jpg

JD308.jpg

AFNSB.jpg

I6cYl.jpg

3I5UA.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Really should get this up to date as been nearly a year....
So, broke down on the way to Glastonbury last year shortly after filling the tank. It started losing power etc but after a stop for 10-15 mins it would be right again. Initial thought was a bad batch of petrol.
Got it onto site and forgot about it for the week.

A9nxK.jpg

Left on the Monday and the mission to get it home began. Long story short involved 2 breakdown callouts and 1 low-loader. Arrived back in Brighton 12 hours after leaving. Long day that one.

08Chd.jpg

pQgbh.jpg

Was the first time it had been recovered all the way home in 5 years but was to have a few more to come.
So gave it a full service and took it for a drive locally. All seemed fine.
Left a few weeks later to head up to Norfolk before heading to Bugjam and after around 40 miles it started cutting out again. Pulled over, let it rest for 15-20 mins, turned around and headed back to home. Broke down again on the M23. Low loader called. Recovered back to home. [Did get to Norfolk and Bugjam but not the same in a tent!]

Next replaced the coil as the recovery man seemed to think it may have been breaking down when it was getting hot. New plugs, leads, condenser and points at same time.

Headed away for a local weekend on a campsite in August. Broke down again after around 20 mins. Managed to get it to the campsite and home again under its own power but it was starting to get annoying as it would be fine sometimes but not at others.

Fuel pump didn't seem to be pushing out a load of fuel so replaced it but still the same problem.

Took the carb off again, stripped, cleaned and refurbed it.

mEtBn.jpg

Zvg0Y.jpg

9JW0x.jpg

Carb went back on and it was even worse, wouldn't even idle properly. It was the first time i had rebuilt a carb so took it back off and did it all again as i thought i had done something wrong.
So rebuilt it again and put it back on and still no joy.
Throw the towel in and booked it in with Karl at Wolfsburg Wizards to get it running proper and a fresh MOT.
He gave it a full service, tuned the carb and it seemed to be ok apart from the increasing white smoke coming out the exhaust. Passed the MOT without any problems so went to collect it. Karl did say that compression was down on 1 of the cylinders and said the engine will need a top end rebuild at some time but money is a bit tight so thought i would give it a go and see if i could get away with using it this summer.
Broke down on the way home from Karls. Low-Loader came and took it back up his workshop where he set about rebuilding the top end.
Collected it, paid the bill and got it home without any bother. Was running fine.

While it was having the top end rebuilt i needed something to do so put together a suitcase stereo to use in the back of the bus or outside whilst camping. Two 6x9 from Halfords, load of images printed at work and a carboot-sale suitcase later i know have this.

h4jEL.jpg

0DbkC.jpg

SlBpb.jpg

Thought it was summer ready but about a week after getting back after the rebuild the fricking thing started playing up again. Wouldn't idle at all. I played with the carb to try and get it running. Nothing. Karl was really good and came over to my place and went through it all again and the Carb was fooked.
It was an Empi repro which had been fitted when i bought it from T2D 5 years ago so i did alright lasting that long.
I have always fancied Dual Carbs but the Bus had destroyed my savings account recently so decided to stick with keeping it all stock but didn't want another Chinese Repro carb so found this place online...

http://www.riverhaus.co.uk/vehicle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ordered a reconditioned German Solex and 2 weeks later it arrived. Kevin at Riverhaus seems a top bloke and i would recommend him if you need a new carb.
So 2 weeks before Big Bang i had this on the dining table ready to be fitted.

gH0s8.jpg

jePXY.jpg

Popped it on. Gave it a tune up and set of to Big Bang. And.....
Made it there and back with out any problems. Was so relieved.
And had a great time up there.

t8jDu.jpg

lGVkY.jpg

P6WcG.jpg

vSWiI.jpg

And my fave of the show was this........

rztMZ.jpg

Gave it a polish and a wax ready for some use

NwtVf.jpg

eXmYL.jpg

IHtLz.jpg

Old Leisure battery wasn't holding any charge anymore so got a new one to go in.

2ydEw.jpg

And the check list of things to do is pretty much complete. [Will be after this weekend anyway]

pPFSM.jpg

Next up is Santa Pod next weekend for some proper racing Nitro style at the Main Event and then the summer really begins.

Latest posts