1970 Savanagh Beige Deluxe, The Sausage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been too long since last update so here goes.
Been a busy bee and been trying to get a load of things down by Easter but having to work work every other weekend means Easter is getting way to close. Took the van back to Dorset over Xmas to my parent's so had use of a driveway and garage which is always useful and got lots done there.
-Lowered the front down another inch on the adjusters, what should have taken an afternoon took almost 2 days. Cutting a long story short, the adjusters seemed well stiff so after messing around with them decided to lower jack down until got to right position but went to far and the front was as low as it could go. Took an age to raise it back up, long long levers, jacks, heat gun, grease, Wd40. Did it in the end with hammer and a piece of tube other the bit that stick out of the top and bottom tube. Never done it before so lesson learnt.
Before and after;

-Fixed interior light switch's so they both work all the time and swapped over to some LED bulbs.

-Cleaned cab and cargo floors and treated the rust and then a coat of hammerite in the back.

Put some underlay down over the cargo floor and then cut some new carpet so bye bye to crappy green stuff i had in there last summer.

-Bought a Repro Westie Buddy seat off ebay for 90gbp, got some foam and leatherette material and set about covering it. Quite happy with my handiwork :D
Started with this;

-Also sorted out the heating via capping the tubes that come out behind the walkthrough so all the heat is coming though the front. Makes such a difference.
-New headunit went in cos got some Halfords vouchers for Chrimbo. Kinda got used to the shitty old stereo so the new one sounds great.
-Headliner rips sewed up [sort of but better].

Plenty of jobs to do still!

You have been a busy boy :mrgreen:

Your buddy seat looks pretty good and hopefully comfortable :D

Managed to grab a few hours up the yard on Sunday. Fixed the passsenger door lock, got the table bracket fitted and finally started fitting the carpet into the cab.

Another day off tomorrow so gonna do the mat on the other side and then rubdown and repaint the wheels.
Well, thats the plan anyway so we'll see cos been feeling a little lazy recently.

Once the rain stopped this morning managed to get on with stuff, rubbed down, primer and sprayed 2 of the wheels up. Had planned on doing all 4 but took longer than i thought. Ended up in a real rush by the end of day so didn't get any pics of them on the bus but you get the idea...

In between doing the wheels rubbed all the crap and surface rust of my front bumper and then give it a good dose of Ankor Wax. Came up good.

Also got on with putting more mats in and put some foam under the passenger seat cos have been getting comments about people feeling springs through the covers!
Cant wait to get the cab finished, not long now.

Whilst fitting the mats noticed that i had no brake fluid in the reservoir, bit surprised cos was fine last time i was up there. Long and short of it was more crap "Just Kampers" quality. Had replaced the reservoir at the end of summer cos the original one was shot with a JK one. 6 Months later and the bit of plastic pipe that comes out the bottom cracked already.

Long time since update as had a load of shit going on at home ranging from nearly dieing in a housefire, splitting up with the missus after 6 years and finding somewhere new to live but its all fun and games.
So work on the bus has been forgotten for a few months but got a bit done,
Got a new buddy seat to keep all my cooking gear in, got it off a chippy off Ebay and he was great and made it a bit bigger to fit my cooker in it. Not bad for £45, gave it a lick of paint and put covered some foam for the cushion and come out alright,

And got a table as well but cant see it lasting long....

Had the Inverter fitted, along with the leisure battery and split charge relay.

Put it back up a spline at the back and the horseshoe brackets put on. Reckon its down about another inch than before.

And got a fresh MOT and a service and all good for the summer.

Got up to Big Bang, had a good time but Friday night music was shite. DR and the Medics can stay at home if it was my choice, Saturday a lot better. Didnt get many pics,

Sorry about your mishaps... :(

Van is looking sharp though and well done with your ebay purchase ;)

So after getting to Bugjam and back the exhaust had finally had it and i pulled the back box apart with my hands. Ordered the stainless steel stock exhaust from Bluebird and it turned up the next day which i was very impressed with. Gave all the nuts and bolts a good spray with the WD40 the night before and the old exhaust come off pretty easy. New one was a bit tight but fits nicely. Compared to the shitty old one i can hardly hear the new one which is gonna be cool on the week long roadtrip planned for start of September, cant wait!

Time for an update as been an age. Got away last Autumn several times but the bus was getting harder and harder to start. By Xmas it needed bumping down a hill. Had already gone through and replaced coil, points, plugs etc but it turned out to be a loose connection from alternator to battery so battery was pretty much dead all the time. Doh. Anyway lesson learned.
Then gave it a good service and all was good again.
Went through the MOT with no problems apart from slight adjustment on the brakes so was ready for the summer.

Got away to the New Forest and got lucky with the weather and was good to try out the new awning/tent.

Start of June comes around and we are booked to take the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry for 2 weeks in France, gave it a run and lots of electrical things were stopping working... Turns out the fuebox had split lengthwise. Bought a replacement fusebox from VW Endangered Species but it was slightly different to mine so my attempts at simply moving the wires over wasn't very succesful.

After having a go myself i threw the towel in and called in an Auto Electrician as the ferry deadline was less than 4 days away. Wasn't cheap as took a while but he done a good job and should be fine for many more years to come.

So made it to the ferry...

Slept in a nice little Aire on our first night by a lake.

Onwards to ill de Re, close to La Rochelle, for 3 nights.

Left and headed South to Dune De Pyla, Arcachon. Great campsite, Panorama de Pyla. Loads of people flying around on parachutes, biggest sand dune i have ever seen, wicked sunset and view from our spot. Ended up staying there for 6 nights.

Left and headed back up via Le Mans for a look at the museum.

So made it to about 3 hours from Dieppe when the clutch cable seemed to loosen up all on its own and we were stuck on the side of the road during rush hour. Got it in the air and adjusted the wingnut on end of cable as much as i could but wasnt enough. Passerby who had a Bus of his own stopped to help and said about putting some nuts between the wingnut and metal arm to get it tighter. Worked and underway. Got to Dieppe around 11 at night. Quick sleep, on the ferry at 0530, back in Brighton by 1000.
First Euro Trip done!

Very nice pics of your holiday, I enjoyed seeing them. :)

The dune is a couple of hours from here. Good timing - gets rather busy in peak season and now the weather has gone a bit off at the mo.

Thanks for sharing.

great pics , looks like you had a great time and a great trip.........have you got the euro trip bug :msn4:

i know i have ;) and how come all the campsites in france have a lake ?

wel gel btw

top trip

chris

Latest posts