1970 Swiss Army Panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpine Burt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined Early Bay today. In August last year i bougt my first bus. I've been into v'dubs since my early years, as my dad has had em since the 60s(still does - 1959 Garnet red Bug, with golde ragtop). Anyways back to the topic. I found the van quite local to me. Couldnt believe how straight and low mileage it is, approx 30k miles documented from new! Its an ex Swiss Army Radio Van, with some quite interesting features: Flashing Blue Rooflight, two-tone Bosch Sirens, Eberspacher Heater, 24 Volt generator, Crank Start, Reinforced roof, towing hooks. Also the seals leaked like a Sieve, every one needed replacing, i guess nothing new there though. Now its dry inside, make it campable in side(not turn it into a camper). Hope to meet some of you when the show season starts. Will post up interior shots when finished so everyone can have a look.

Tom]

100_7477_zpsb8de1e9a.jpg

100_7476_zps2467e62a.jpg

100_7478_zps4f94f9e6.jpg

100_7479_zps98490de9.jpg

000_0009_zpsa7838bf7.jpg

Hi there and welcome. That bus could possibly be the cleanest bus in original condition we`ve seen for a long time. Looks like an excellent find :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, They`re still out there :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome :mrgreen:

And what a find you've got there looking good 8) can't wait to see the inside is it all still set up as a radio van? My mates got a late bay radio van and all the switches and dials makes you feel like your at the controls of dr who's tardis lol

:mrgreen:

Great to hear from you all. Thanks for the compliments :) Regarding the price, it was very fair by todays prices, and i consider myself lucky to have found it! As for equipment, the rear is empty apart from the Buddy Seat. What puzzles me is the flashing blue light and the bosch sirens. There is a round bracket on the front that appears to be for a large spoltlight on a pole, from various photos i've seen. Alongside this there is a power socket on the front. There is a large round hole in the roof on the reinforced roof, i would imagine for a radio scanner.There are Leather Map Pockets on the doors, with Swiss Emblem stamped on them. There is also a strange voltmeter and rear view mirror attachment, where you flick a switch and it registers volts at the battery. The last owners fitted a Just Kampers Rock and Roll bed, but thats all. Anyone with more knowledge than me, i would appreciate any knowledge that you have. From the chassis nos it was made in May 1970, hence the five bolt wheels and drum brakes all round. With the kind of mileage it has it drives like new.
Will pop on some pics of the back inside in the next couple of days.

Tom

Thanks again for the comments folks :) As for the price, a gentleman never tells ;) As i said it was more than fair, definately not over the top!
68-early bay: Would love to see some pics of your mates van...

Tom

Hi and welcome! :D

That is a lovely van. 8)
I had a late bay Italian firebus with next to no mileage from new, and also with its original fittings, such as flashing light, siren etc, so I know how pleased you must be, to have such a vehicle!

I love the facility to handstart, which I think is a bonus, and a novelty. I believe both the Swiss and German military buses always had this.

I'm sure you'd be able to make it very usable for camping and trips out etc, such as by having some removable camping units etc, so you could easily take them out again, if you were wanting to display the van at shows or whatever. This is the route I would have taken, had I kept my firebus. :)

I look forward to seeing the pics of the rest of the interior. I've always had a bit of a thing for panel vans!

Doug

Great to hear all the positive comments, and that everyone likes the bus. :D

Danbury Doug: Agree with what you were saying these ex service vehicles do seem to be very well looked after. I wasnt aware the German buses had the Hand crank start as well, thanks for that. Am thinking along the lines of a removable unit with Cooker Sink, etc, alongside the Buddy seat on the Front Bulkhead. Being a twin slider van, this will be especially useful. And a small wardrobe at the back.

The van seems to be very low geared, possible Mountain Ratio Gearbox, as i believe some busses had this. Very useful as im a volunteer in the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Service :lol:

Will take some inside shots tommorow, and hopefully some shots in the snow too!

Tom

Latest posts