My Swiss Army panel van!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duddlebug

Reaction score
I joined 'earlybay' last week after spotting this Swiss army panel van, and bought it at the weekend. I had a 270 mile journey home from Norwich to North Wales, and it ran like a dream. A slow dream. :)

I pulled up fifty yards from home, stuck the blue light on the roof, and came in the gates with the sirens blaring. The kids LOVE it!

You might have seen it before on Alpine Burt's threads, but I thought I'd start my own thread for stuff I might do to it, and for help and advice.

van_01.jpg

van_02.jpg

van_03.jpg

I've also got a late bay (built July 1979, only 747th from the final German-built bay window, I think, judging by its chassis number) which i've owned for ten years, but has been stationary for the last four years. You might just be able to spot it through the window in the back view photo. It's now going to go in my garage for a long, leisurely restoration!

I love this bus it's soo different 8) I even showed it a mate in the hope he'd buy it, so it would be local :msn4: :lol:

You got a good buy there and I'm glad you've started a thread on here 8)

The 'different' is why I wanted it so bad. It's going to be my 'work' van, and I'd been looking at something a lot more modern in a T5. But I couldn't get excited about something that wasn't a bay or a split, and that i couldn't work on myself. And my job is colouring-in. I write and illustrate kids' books, so this is much more appropriate!

Until now, I've been running a Morris Traveller for work (not a VW, I know!) and I do less than 2000 miles per year. So I'd been putting money aside and saving for something to replace the Traveller, that I could potentially sleep in, and when I saw this last week, I knew it was the perfect vehicle. My first proper trip out will probably be Carfest North, where I'm reading my books in their author tent and camping for the weekend.

I have admired this bus since first looking it over at last year's Busfest. I rarely use the word 'cool' but for this I make an exception. :D

It is a cracker, and you'll have great times in it, I am sure. I bet Tom had a small tear in his eye as you drove away... :D

Looking forward to seeing it again sometime at a show.

Perfect! love this bus, welcome to the club and im sure you and your family are gonna be having a cracking summer :mrgreen:

Latest posts