1970 westy cuts out when cold - can anyone help?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisandmiche

Reaction score
Hi

My westy seems to cut out when engine cold and, on inspection, fuel is dripping from carb. Once engine warm it seems to run ok. Cut out is always at idle or low speed. Any ideas????

Butterfly valve already changed and southwestvw couldn't find anything obvious.

Any recommendations on garages / mechanics in portsmouth or south east Kent?

Latest Thought: Thanks for all advice so far. I now suspect the problem is the 'nut' behind the steering wheel and that I'm not setting the choke properly. As a new owner I'd be interested to know top tips on setting choke from cold and after a short (30 min) break after driving it.

I hope it's as simple as that!!!!!

chrisandmiche said:
Hi

My westy seems to cut out when engine cold and fuel drips from carb. Once engine warm it seems to run ok. Cut out is always at idle or low speed. Any ideas????

don't want to panic you but fule leaking from the carb ain't good

ianscooby said:
chrisandmiche said:
Hi

My westy seems to cut out when engine cold and fuel drips from carb. Once engine warm it seems to run ok. Cut out is always at idle or low speed. Any ideas????

don't want to panic you but fule leaking from the carb ain't good
I've just had a similar problem. It the fuel is coming out of the carb when the engines NOT running, it could be a perished gland or seal. Where is the carb leaking from? When is it leaking? Other thing to remember is if fuel can get out, air can get in, which means when cold you'll struggle to keep it going, and probably when warm too. First up renew all the gaskets and seals in the carb, then try again. It worked for me... eventually ;-)

Hi, sounds like you need to get that sorted asap,.....just a thought are you sure its petrol and not water from carb icing, (condensation)...anyway i would get it checked, you could try Vince at VW CITY in portsmouth (023 92293345), hes a top bloke and knows whats what,

....................................kev :)

Latest posts