1971 Deluxe Transporter (US - Chicago) Red9 Wishbone Kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muntz70

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing my Red9 Wishbone kit. My intention is to set it on it's lowest course adjustment and use the coil over height adjustment to fine tune it.

I have a '71 deluxe transporter and it has the brake boost, which has caused me to modify the dirvers side plate and the bottom brace so that they don't foul against the booster / electrical connections coming off the master cylinder. I had to install one shim (all bolts, both sides) to properly mount the side plates to the frame and upper brace with no gaps.

Otherwise... no biggie. I assumed I would have to do something to get it all to fit up correctly.

Once I get the main kit installed, then it's on to the steering rack, etc... happy days! Gotta love 50+ degree weather in November!!

You can check out my build here... http://www.harshwintersvw.com/smf1/index.php?topic=3827.135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice bus and nice thread the red 9 kits looks great, any feedback on how it rides? Ive got the coilover kit using the existing beam.

uber cool said:
Nice bus and nice thread the red 9 kits looks great, any feedback on how it rides? Ive got the coilover kit using the existing beam.

I have no review of the ride yet, as I don't have it all installed. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts on how this improves my bus. Honestly though... I want to slam my bus and doing it this way will result in a much better ride/control over the traditional methods...

BTW... Simon is great in in efforts to support me. Some hardware was lost in shipping and he has already air mailed me the hardware needed to finish the job. He's also been great responding to my issues above and helping me a long the way.

Update:

I have the Red 9 kit installed. I had to modify my brake boost (my 71 had a late model booster in it.. bigger). My booster did not work anyway as the old master cylinder had a leaky seal and the booster inerds were corroded by the brake fluid.. so the "vaccuum" did not function properly.

(on a side note... if you ever see stark white smoke coming out of your exhaust... it's because you are sucking up brake fluid from the booster into your intake. Probably the result of your master cylinder leaking into the booster. Check your seal on the master cylinder).

So... since my booster was essentially just a big spacer, I modified it. I simply cut off about 3 inches off the bottom and welded in a steel plate to keep its strength. Don't worry... brakes work just fine if the booster vaccum is rendered inoperable. My brakes were manual before... so I know what it takes to stop by bus with only foot/leg power. No big deal. The mod to the booster allowed the kit to be installed without issues.

I have it installed on the lowest course adjustment and will be using my stock 14" rims with 165/65/14 tires on the front. Not sure yet what size tire I will run in the back... I'll see what the stock 195/75/14 look like when I'm done with the front.

Waiting on my front tires and rebuild calipers (and new pads).

The only other mod I had to make was to make new bends in my clutch arm as the arm would foul on the new bevel box during the clutch arm travel. Easy mod... new bends to the clutch arm and a new hole cut in the floor.

I'll post pics this weekend...

5erge said:
Hey Tim,

15" steels are the only way to roll on a red9'd bus ;)

BTW lock to lock - no problem 8)

Des

71 was the first year of the 5/112 bolt pattern... stock 14" rims. I LOVE the offset of my stock 14" rims... tucks nicely with the Red9 wishbone kit. If I went to wide-five, I would have to run adapters and that would push them out.

So, for me, my 14" stock steel rims will do just fine... ;) My bus will be more of a rat look anyway...

Got the tires mounted and balanced (165/65/14). Brought em home and slapped them on the bus.

I'm on the second to the lowest course adjustment and I have the coil overs adjusted all the way down. So, if I wanted, I could drop it another inch with the course adjustment. It has a slight rake with the standard 195/75/14 tires and I like the look of it. My stock rims tuck really nice and I have about 2-3 inches of travel between the arch and the tire.

Very happy with it all. Without the hubcaps, looks like I'm running a donut spare tire... LOL

2e713f05.jpg

c9de2b13.jpg

what brake set up have you got on the front? were you able to used the 71's or did you have to get a late hub, rotor and caliper?

looks excellent. innovative bit of engineering.

Johnny said:
what brake set up have you got on the front? were you able to used the 71's or did you have to get a late hub, rotor and caliper?

looks excellent. innovative bit of engineering.

I have an early 71 and Simon made my kit so I could reuse my current setup.

Wishing now that I ordered 175's. I just wasn't sure how much width I could get away with before fouling on the wishbones while the rack is in full lock.

I'm already planning to make some mods so that the steering linkage isn't so exposed. Other than that... LOVE the wishbone kit.

Just be aware that it's not easy to drop all the way if you have a LATE model brake booster. It gets in the way (9" diameter).

This weekend, I will be removing my Red9 wishbone suspension so as to install on the lowest course setting... in doing so, I will chronicle (pics/vids) the installation so everyone can get a good close up of the kit install and what "I" had to do to make it work on my 71. (only had to mod my booster and clutch arm... but I'll show it).

So, except for getting the correct braided brake lines that will go directly into my calipers, I'll be done with all my front suspension work this weekend.... yay me!

Stay tuned.... :)

Nice work, made me think about my servo (booster), I have white smoke from the exhaust and am loosing brake fluid very slowly! looks like the servo is comin out !

andyo11 said:
Nice work, made me think about my servo (booster), I have white smoke from the exhaust and am loosing brake fluid very slowly! looks like the servo is comin out !

Realize that it's probably NOT your servo that is the problem. I bet your master cylinder is leaking into the servo. It may be time for a new master cylinder (or a seal replacement)... The servo should NOT have brake fluid in it.

Incidentally, I updated my post above where I referenced a "bad booster". When, in fact, it was my master cylinder that was the issue. (My servo was inoperable due to the brake fluid corroding the rubber diaphram inside the servo).

Got the wishbone kit installed on the lowest course setting and the coilovers adjusted in the middle (I could lower or raise and inch either way now).

I recorded some vids of the process and I'll get those up at some point tomorrow...

Here are some pics to tide ya'all over:

drivers sideplate installed
Red9KitInstall011.jpg

Trimmed some material from the backing plate...
Red9KitInstall012.jpg

Bevel box with steering linkage installed
Red9KitInstall013.jpg

pic from the front looking back at the steering rack
Red9KitInstall015.jpg

A side shot underneath
Red9KitInstall016.jpg

passenger sideplate installed
Red9KitInstall017.jpg

The supervisor
BusWork020.jpg

hope this helps people see more of this kit... stay tuned for some vids...

Installed my new gauges in my custom dash. Loving the 5" speedometer. I still need to wire them up.

8c9c8277.jpg

Eager for a warm day so I can paint my dash.

Does anyone have any particular picture requests regarding the Red9 Wishbone kit?

The "vids" I shot are kinda stupid... and not worth posting.

Latest posts