1971 Deluxe Transporter (US - Chicago) Red9 Wishbone Kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airtime said:
I like this bus and the rebar theme! 8) Looking forward to the money shot.

thanks!! I'm itching to get it all tuned and ready for the road so I can start fabricating the rebar accessories.

I forgot to mention the funny part of the story...

While I was installing the Red9 wishbone kit, I noticed that my horn ground wire was disconnected at the base of the steering colomn. So I connected it. That was a couple months ago, so I kinda forgot about it.

When I took the bus for a spin around the block yesterday... on the first turn... when I used my turn signal... my horn started beeping in unison with the blinker relay. LOL. Scared the holy bejeezus outta me. I guess my bus really wants to make sure people know I'm turning...

Anyway... I guess I need to hunt down that gremlin now. At least I know my horn works... :D

Shots after another test drive...

InsuranceShots001.jpg

InsuranceShots002.jpg

InsuranceShots003.jpg

InsuranceShots004.jpg

InsuranceShots005.jpg

Went looking for some pot holes... no rubbing issues when hitting them... and I only have about 1 inch of travel in the front. I'm loving this kit!

stay tuned for more :)

I plan on doing my own 4 wheel alignment...

good write up...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone else have a good DIY alignment write up?

muntz70 said:
I plan on doing my own 4 wheel alignment...

good write up...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone else have a good DIY alignment write up?

i have never done it, but i also read that its not to hard to do.

I like your black wheels, goes really well with the paint :D

dubscum said:
I like your black wheels, goes really well with the paint :D

Thanks!

I was thinking that I would buy some wheel trim, but now I've grown to really like the "understated" black rim/wheel look with just the hubcaps... not many ppl roll like that and I like to be different.

First cruise night of the summer yesterday. It was VERY windy and I was not blown all over the road. The low stance and the red9 rack performed very well.

64123b2b.jpg

a1eefe59.jpg

...more pics of cruise night: http://harshwintersvw.com/smforums/index.php?topic=459.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

remind me again how far you've gone down at the back?

ill have the red9 kit soon and ill probably be a notch higher at the font than you due to all the crappy speed bumps here. For my needs, the rear of your bus is perfect height.

Johnny said:
remind me again how far you've gone down at the back?

ill have the red9 kit soon and ill probably be a notch higher at the font than you due to all the crappy speed bumps here. For my needs, the rear of your bus is perfect height.

I have the Red9 4" drop plates on the rear... with 25" diameter tire/wheel combo (195/70/14)

I also have the SPAX shortened shocks on the rear from Red9 as well... dialed up pretty high for a very firm ride in back. Only maybe 3 inches of clearance from the axle to the frame...so you'll want a stiff rear end. ;)

Latest posts