1971 Deluxe Transporter (US - Chicago) Red9 Wishbone Kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tim,

King and Linkpin still reigns supreme in the U.K but the money shot everyone is after (seeing as you are the first to mount red9 on the lowest plate) would be everything at its lowest setting, including coilovers, followed by a side on shot. Okay, we're never going to get our buses as low as Slamwerks but then this route is still cheaper plus you are getting modern technology thrown in.

Des

The best money shot I can get inside my garage. I'm middle setting on the coilovers. I would have to tub to drop it another inch with the 165/65/14's. Also realize that the lowest point of the suspension is the steering rack. I would not recommend this kit to someone wanting to SLAM thier bus. The bottom of my bumper is 7" off the ground.

8fdd3222.jpg

ad91e77e.jpg

if that was levelled out at the back it would be seriously low for a non notched bus.

Johnny said:
if that was levelled out at the back it would be seriously low for a non notched bus.

I still need to order tires for the rear. Probably gonna order 195/70/14. Currently have 195/75/14.

Johnny said:
at the lowest setting would you need to tub?

"I" would have to because of my tire choice. I only have about 1.5 inch clearance as it sets. If I bottom out my coilovers I would not have enough travel space.

We are building a good case for benefits of a red9 WB bus then :mrgreen:

Remember you mentioned mounting the cross plate on the upper edge of the side plates to raise the steering rack an inch or so, then you could drop the profile to 60's and lower it a tad more at the front.

Des

Looking sweet 8) Agree with Johnny about lowering the rear a touch as that would finish off the look totally ;)

5erge said:
We are building a good case for benefits of a red9 WB bus then :mrgreen:

Remember you mentioned mounting the cross plate on the upper edge of the side plates to raise the steering rack an inch or so, then you could drop the profile to 60's and lower it a tad more at the front.

Des

That will raise the rack up another half inch.

gninnam said:
Looking sweet 8) Agree with Johnny about lowering the rear a touch as that would finish off the look totally ;)

yeah... I'm trying to decide what to do there. The only way to lower the back (without having to notch the frame) would be to get lower profile rear tires. I don't want to cause my tired old 1600dp to work harder than it needs to so I think I'm only willing to lower the profile of the rear tires another half inch by getting the 195/70/14. That should give me about a 25" profile tire as opposed to the stock 25.5" profile.

Also... I kinda like the rake look to be honest. So a bit of a rake is ok with me ;)

If all goes well... I should be taking the bus for a test spin this weekend. I'll keep you all posted on the Red9 experience ;)

Sorry to say that I could not get to my bus until Sunday afternoon. My plan was to bleed the brakes, start her up and probably have to ajdust the carb... then take her for a spin.

So... took the cap off the brake fluid reservior and found that it was extremly dirty and lots of nasty bits on the bottom. I decided to order both reservoirs (the one behind the seat and the one that sits atop the master cylinder). I really don't want to take any chances with the brakes. Better safe than sorry.

I wish I would have looked at this months ago and ordered them then... I really didn't even pay attention to the reservior atop the master... and I just put the damn thing on a few weeks ago. But looking at it now... it's nasty inside also.

So... hurry up and wait. Love it. :)

Thanks Johnny!

Gonna carry the rebar theme through the bus... the shifter was made from 5/8" rebar (if I recall correctly). Other items I plan to make from 3/8" rebar include (but not limited to):

1. Front emblem (some of you call it a badge)
2. Bumper trim
3. jailbars
4. roof rack (not full length)
5. Banjo style steering wheel (just the spokes will be rebar)
6. Des (5erge) gave me the idea to use rebar for the dual carb linkage... might be too heavy for that application... but worth a try.
7. Des (5erge) also gave me the idea to fabricate a rebar bullbar for the front... that would look KILLER!

... I doubt I'll do more than this (at the same time)... don't want to go overkill... ;)

Just gonna paint it all gloss black... will look good against the tan of the bus. Obviously going for a "rat bus" look... ;)

Also added another useful tool to my garage arsenal...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xi3/R-100670932/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picked it up new and still in the box on the cheap from a guy needing cash... (he got it as a xmas gift, but had no use for it)

:)

Fired it up and took her for a test drive. Handles like a dream... For a bus ;)

totally night and day from the old setup. I only had it around the block. Better review to come later.

I forgot to take the money shot. I'll snap some pics tomorrow night.

Latest posts