1972 Bus with a 2007cc motor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubpower83

Reaction score
Hi here's a few pics of my Bus. I bought it back in 2005 and since then pretty much everything has been done to it! Underside repaired (more to do this winter too!), bodywork repaired and resprayed, on its third engine since I've owned it, new gearbox, new lights, new interior! It runs a T2D built 2007cc Type 1 motor with full flow oiling and a remote oil cooler coupled to a Bears Motorsport gearbox based round a 006 case with a 091 ring and pinion to manage the power from the engine. Due another rolling session at the moment but I've got a couple of other jobs to do first.

Anyway, here's the pics...

The Bus...
DSC_1451_lr.jpg

The motor...
DSC_1450_lr.jpg

On the rolling road - it put out 120bhp with defective piston rings (these have now been changed)!
IMG_1127_lr.jpg

How the interior looked for the first five years!
DSC_1999_lr.jpg

Pretty picture in our village...
DSC_1991_lr.jpg

With my Notchback...
DSC_2180_lr.jpg

At Land's End last September during a holiday...
DSC_2358_lr.jpg

New interior by T2D completed in April this year...
Businteriorcomplete.jpg

The freshly trimmed rear bench...
Businterior31310.jpg

Waiting for another run down the strip at Santa Pod
DSC_4329_lr.jpg

In the ADK line-up at BVF this year...
DSC_5097_lr.jpg

Thanks Doug :D

It was originally an eight seat mircobus which had been changed to four seats by the previous owner. Since then its had a 3/4 width rock and roll in the back, then its final format is with a JK full width rock and roll across the back (modified in many ways) and a pair of rear facing buddy seats by Vanmotion custom interiors.

Very smart looking van and like the interior 8)

120Bhp...... :shock:

Nice ;)

gninnam said:
Very smart looking van and like the interior 8)

120Bhp...... :shock:

Nice ;)

Theory has it that it should have more power now too, as the new piston rings have been in properly giving me full compression, rather than 80% compression!

dubpower83 said:
Theory has it that it should have more power now too, as the new piston rings have been in properly giving me full compression, rather than 80% compression!

You need to get it dyno'd pretty quick then ;)

Absolutely - during August after payday it will be going in for another rolling road session! :evil:

And whilst I'm here, a few more pics which I took day whilst taking photographs for the latest insurance valuation...

DSC_5352_lr.jpg

DSC_5343_lr.jpg

DSC_5362_lr.jpg

DSC_5345_lr.jpg

DSC_5349_lr.jpg

DSC_5346_lr.jpg

DSC_5357_lr.jpg

loving this bus fella looks real nice...good colour choices as well , what sort of times you been doing down the strip?

ste 8)

ooro said:
loving this bus fella looks real nice...good colour choices as well , what sort of times you been doing down the strip?

ste 8)

Firstly thank you! The colour choice always seems to go down well. They are both from the 1972 VW colour chart, but aren't usually seen together. They were picked to fit with our wedding colour scheme too, although it did break down the night before the big day and spent our wedding day in my father in laws garage! Fortunately (two engines later) we're over the teething problems!!

First time out on the strip (for me and the Bus) at Big Bang this year I posted an 18.8 second quarter mile. However, this is before the engine had been tuned properly. For the next outing I've also changed the rear tyres and I'll fitting up a different exhaust system with the aim of getting into the 17 second bracket (fingers crossed). Also need to work on my reaction time - 0.8 of a second sat at the lights is way too long!! :lol:

dubpower83 said:
Thanks Doug :D

It was originally an eight seat mircobus which had been changed to four seats by the previous owner. Since then its had a 3/4 width rock and roll in the back, then its final format is with a JK full width rock and roll across the back (modified in many ways) and a pair of rear facing buddy seats by Vanmotion custom interiors.

Ah I see. :D The reason I thought it was a former Danbury was because not only the obvious top locker, but a few other 'tell tales'. A former owner must have gotten hold of a Danbury interior at some stage, and fitted some of the bits into your bus. :)
Liking the colour combo too, and your double cab. 8)

Nice bus, can't beat a 72 :D

although a lot of people on here will disagree !!!

Is that picture in front of the church Thorney? It looks familiar

Thorney Abbey is a nice spot for a picture, plus if you get there at the right time there are no other cars parked around the area!

Love your bus!

I have a 71 deluxe that is just like yours.

I am about to lower it with a linkpin conversion.

What are the details of your drop and tire size?

Thanks!

71deluxe said:
Love your bus!

I have a 71 deluxe that is just like yours.

I am about to lower it with a linkpin conversion.

What are the details of your drop and tire size?

Thanks!

Cool beans.

My Bay is lowered with a 2in narrowed beam and drop spindles - all supplied and fitted by the T2D crew. The front is lowered by about 4 or 5 in and the rear by about 3in. Only a moderate drop, but with the engine it runs it need some ground clearance! The front tyres are 175/55 and the rears are 185/65 all on 15in Empi 'fives'.

I've never seen a 72 with early lights before, Is that an early cross-over if that makes sense? :lol:

Latest posts