1972 Wiring Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiW

Reaction score
Hi There,

My o/h's parents have a 1972 (crossover) Bay Window which has a few issues.

1) First one is that the petrol gauge doesn't seem to work. We checked the wiring the other day and all seems fine, not the wrong way round but we don't have a multimeter to test whether there's any power getting to it. Before we go to this, is there anything more obvious to check? Haynes says to check the sender on top of the tank but how do you get to this? Slightly odd thing about it, when the ignition gets turned on, the needle drops backwards a little bit?

2) In the engine bay, to the left of the block there's a single wire with a spade connector coming through the back of the bulk head. It's been painted over so can't check the colours but does anyone know what a single wire in that area might be for?

3) Rear fog light. Do the bay windows have one built into the cluster as standard? There's no switch for the one on the dash, but an empty hole where a switch used to be, so before I go looking for wires, should there actually be one around?

4) Stereo wiring. Should there be any wiring there? If not, what would the easiest way be to wire one in and which fuse would you suggest using in the fuse box? Same with cigarette socket for SatNav/Phone etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) We're all new to this era of vehicle, especially on a camper!!!

1, You cant get to the tank without taking the engine out, or drilling a hole above it

2, The single wire should be to the sender

3, No Fogs

rallye dale said:
1, You cant get to the tank without taking the engine out, or drilling a hole above it

2, The single wire should be to the sender

3, No Fogs

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, taking the engine out is only going to be a last resort, but number 2 might then be connected, although it's on the opposite side of the bay to the tank and the wire doesn't look long enough? Will look at that when the weather dries up though!!

Tad confused as the guide on how to install the inspection hatch, doesn't tally with ours as the tank must be in a different place?

Taken a picture;

IMG-20120409-00292.jpg

Cable can be seen coming through the bulk head to the left, and fuel tank to the right. The wire doesn't reach over there?

Also, what's the circle panel for on the tank?

Excellent! That makes a lot more sense.

So if that wire is for the sender, I just need to extend it and remove the panel to plug it in?

You misunderstood me, the tank is behind the engine not to the right, the cable comes from the right, i will see if i can find a pic

the wire on the left is for reverse light,or should be.cover is for acess to filler pipe .if you look at rear of instrument panel feed to fuel gauge comes of feed to ign lights ,black wire,if you earth the wire on other side gauge should read full.

There is a wire that comes through the right hand side of the bay, but it looks like it's been cut when it was restored. It's a single black cable I believe.

Where is the fuel tank then? Behind the blue tinware of the engine?

I'll check the reverse lights tomorrow to see what that cable is for, but it's got a spade connector on the end?

Ok, making sense now!! Thank you and sorry for my stupidity lol

I'm used to 90's Vauxhalls & Saabs you see!

Latest posts