3 1/2 years worth, in flames. The rebuild begins!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Colin,

Soooo sorry to see the bus m8. I have rebuilt a fire burnt bus, let me know if you need a hand m8.

Glad you and the family are ok.

:( :( :(

marcher said:
Oh Colin,

Soooo sorry to see the bus m8. I have rebuilt a fire burnt bus, let me know if you need a hand m8.

Glad you and the family are ok.

:( :( :(

Cheers Matt.
Checked the van today. Damage report, not too bad. The wiring loom went up. That's gonna be the biggest problem really. I will put some more photos up soon.

Oh no, this makes me want to cry, so sorry to see that :(

Hope you manage to get everything sorted and if theres anything us lot can do just shout!

Cheers for all your comments people! It really makes a difference. Ive finished my 24 hours of mourning. Just got to get the insurance guy out, then Im on it.
The rebuild pictures will follow. Gonna install a fuel cut off this time and fill the back seat with fire extinguishers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even one of the firemen has spent the last couple of years restoring a bay......bet he wont be short of fire extinguishers!!

totally gutting - but at least it didn't burn completely and due to the residual value they're unlikely to write it off.

one question would a firetec or similar actually have helped in this instance? I have r9 grade fuel pipes, a filterking and fuel solenoid.. I'm hoping that this combo would allow me to tackle the hopefully small blaze should the carbs pop back??

Managed to get a quick video shot. Not the best, but this was less than 2 minutes after the fire broke out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmTSkhVpa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: that's sickening to see (video) all your hard work gutted for you!
How you getting on? Seen your van before the fire, the Steve McQueen sticker always made me smile. Hope you get it sorted.

What a bastard.... So sorry to read about your fire. I have recently picked up a new van which has had the fuel lines changed BUT only the easy ones in the engine so am changing the old braded line from the tank to the engine and the very short piece of braded hose that forms the bend between the two metal pipes. Ive also fitted a Fireboy. Dont want to go through what you have mate :( :(

Are there any current deals anyone is aware of for group-buys/dicount for fire systems ?

Been meaning to fit one for a while - determined to do it now !

(I did a search on Firetec, but there are hundreds of posts/mentions and couldn't find the supplier...)

I found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-camper-van-engine-bay-fire-suppression-system-splittie-bay-T25-/181204648284?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2a30a3815c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They highly rate "clean gas" over foam. TBH, if foam works, and actually gets used I would be delighted to (only) have to spray foam off the engine bay - they do say foam doesn't work on electrical fires...

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks

Matt

slow-lane-Matt said:
Are there any current deals anyone is aware of for group-buys/dicount for fire systems ?

Been meaning to fit one for a while - determined to do it now !

(I did a search on Firetec, but there are hundreds of posts/mentions and couldn't find the supplier...)

I found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-camper-van-engine-bay-fire-suppression-system-splittie-bay-T25-/181204648284?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2a30a3815c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They highly rate "clean gas" over foam. TBH, if foam works, and actually gets used I would be delighted to (only) have to spray foam off the engine bay - they do say foam doesn't work on electrical fires...

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Matt, check this thread out http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50078

Gutted for you fella..can I just add this in here while people are reading.
I had a strong fuel smell in my van usually after filling up for a long run out,I'd replaced all the fuel/filler pipes and breather pipes with modern rubber but the smell was still there.after lots of investigating I found out it was the fuel sender rubber seal that had perished allowing fuel to slosh out when the tank was near full...hope insurance comes good for you...Dave

As has already been said, that's really, really shit ... but as has also been said, at least you and your family are safe.

Looking forward to your rebuild thread! All the best.