3 1/2 years worth, in flames. The rebuild begins!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slow-lane-Matt said:
Are there any current deals anyone is aware of for group-buys/dicount for fire systems ?

Been meaning to fit one for a while - determined to do it now !

(I did a search on Firetec, but there are hundreds of posts/mentions and couldn't find the supplier...)

I found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-camper-van-engine-bay-fire-suppression-system-splittie-bay-T25-/181204648284?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2a30a3815c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They highly rate "clean gas" over foam. TBH, if foam works, and actually gets used I would be delighted to (only) have to spray foam off the engine bay - they do say foam doesn't work on electrical fires...

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks

Matt

I personally dont like the idea of the gas and have a powder system in my van:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fire-Extinguisher-DAUS-Low-Pressure-1Kg-Dry-Powder-Vertical-AC999E001_act_shop.product_pID_139050754_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll get your earlybay discount off that too :D

ground hugger said:
Gutted for you fella..can I just add this in here while people are reading.
I had a strong fuel smell in my van usually after filling up for a long run out,I'd replaced all the fuel/filler pipes and breather pipes with modern rubber but the smell was still there.after lots of investigating I found out it was the fuel sender rubber seal that had perished allowing fuel to slosh out when the tank was near full...hope insurance comes good for you...Dave

That's interesting, I also get a strong smell when returning from a drive or when quite full of fuel, il be checking the fuel sender seal now (I've checked everywhere else) :shock:

Your down, but certainly not out. Think about the worst case scenario, which you have avoided, that ought to be some consolation.

It is repairable, chin up.

LV

I got a Fireboy system from VW Aircooled works, there are a few threads on the forum and Peter honored the forum group buy price when i collected at the breeze. Very comprehensive kit, easy to fit and with a dashboard indicator as well. I got the cut off solenoid and some ethanol rated hose at the same time but have not fitted those quite yet as I want to incorporate a kill switch for the solenoid as well and thinking where to hide it as a security measure.

The system is used by Nascar as well as Sunseeker yachts so seemed good enough for me. Hopefully it wont be tested though but seemed to be a sensible precaution based on the horrible experiences many have had on here.

Hopefully your van is back on the road sometime soon and will no doubt be even better than before.

Hi guys.
Just an update. The fire happened I the 10th august (yes, it was in sandwich) and the insurance company have agreed to pay out :D it took me long enough to decide. Just waiting for a call from wage works as to when he can fit it in.

Got a few plans in the pipeline. I will post some pictures of the update as I go. Thanks for all comments guys!

gonzomillstrood said:
Hi guys.
Just an update. The fire happened I the 10th august (yes, it was in sandwich) and the insurance company have agreed to pay out :D it took me long enough to decide. Just waiting for a call from wage works as to when he can fit it in.

Got a few plans in the pipeline. I will post some pictures of the update as I go. Thanks for all comments guys!

Great news! Look forward to seeing the progress!

Alistair

Heres my update.
Insurance assessor finally came out and agreed on a figure. Now its time for the rebuild………….. it taken long enough!

Heres the damage.

This looks a bit better after a bit of shampoo and t cut.

Poor old Steves taken a bit of a hammering. The wife never liked him anyway………………. I did though :cry:

A bit of wet and dry and water in the luggage area and a bit of prepping and primer.

Dropped the engine out and stripped it down to the long block.

Back end looks a bit better. Im hoping to get away with blowing in part of the engine lid so I can hold onto the original Colorado dealer sticker.

Thats all for now folks.