3 way fridge question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateLovesPurple

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury
How long should an electrolux 3 way fridge take to cool down when on 240V?

Depends on ambient temprature, but should be getting pretty cool after an hour on 240v or gas, remember it has to be pretty level as this can affect the performance, sometimes with my chest fridge (RC1600) I turn it upside down (empty) for a few mins this usually gets it going after along spell of not being used.

How much tolerance is there on the level? I just checked the fridge and it tips to the right as you look at it to only 5 degrees. Would that be too much? After about 3 hours on mains, I can categorically say there is no cooling whatsoever. There is plenty of heat in the top pipe at the back of the fridge but nothing in the finned thing on the back or cold in the finned thing inside the fridge, it is just sitting at ambient temperature.

Any thoughts?

This is what happens with my chest fridge before I turn it upside down loads of heat at the back no chill in the fridge.
Sounds as though it's pretty level, if you could level it up a bit more it wouldn't hurt.
Seems as if the gas is not flowing you may need to tip it upside down for a few mins then let it settle & try again, I know it's a pain if it's fitted but 9 times out of 10 it works.

Cheers Brett, I'll give that a go tomorrow. It's only in the process of being fitted so it is still easy enough to get out. Only the elctrical connections to bin, gas not yet connected.

if there is an airlock in the system turning upside down is a good technique for releasing it, but dont have it switched on. have you tried it on 12v or gas? if so do you get the same result of no cooling

hogseye said:
...... have you tried it on 12v or gas? if so do you get the same result of no cooling

No, not yet but it was working a couple of years ago when I had the gas side of it serviced. The mains heater element is working though, plenty of heat, just no cooling so I reckon the crystalised refridgerant is the main problem.

Well, good news, I pulled the fridge back out of the van this afternoon and turned it upside down in the garage and it gurgled lots! :)

I gave all the pipe work a tap with a hammer and gave it all a good shake and I'll brave the weather again later and go out to the garage and give it another good shake before I turn it right side up again. Fingers crossed it will work again tomorrow.

Sorted!! Turning it upside down did the trick. I switched it back on this afternoon in the garage on a setting of 4 and in less than a couple of hours it was down to 4 deg C! Turned it to MAX and put some water in the freezer and made ice in about 3 hours!

madman said:
Sorted!! Turning it upside down did the trick. I switched it back on this afternoon in the garage on a setting of 4 and in less than a couple of hours it was down to 4 deg C! Turned it to MAX and put some water in the freezer and made ice in about 3 hours!
See it does work. :D peeps often look at me in :shock: when I tell them what to do, & giving it a good old technical tap don't do it any harm either. :lol: Good to know it's all working. :)

Sorted ;) - my manual for 3 way fridge says leave overnight upside down if you are in no hurry, give time for all the bubbles to work through

Latest posts