39 pict *Big bore*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, but the magical 15% ? I’m wondering how theyve achieved this figure. They do mention mildly tuned and maybe this is the extra juice required to enhance a little more cam and cleaned up valve works. :mrgreen: These boxer engines do ‘magically’ lend themselves to a twin carb set up with shorter inlets etc. And as mentioned before, it’s very hard to not achieve more horses than stock because the original design is so so so over engineered and mostly devoted to torque.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I got twins, 34s, no probs. :mrgreen:

Were the 34's easy to setup and maintaine? My main worry is my skills to fix it... Mine should go like the clappers with a 1776, performace heads and 100 engle cam but it's stupid slow, I am pretty sure a standard 1.6 twinport working well is just as quick.

My dad's an mot tester with years or experience and he says it's the carburettor hence why I went over everything else first.

It's really deflating when it's not running right, I think it's bin time for the 32/36 progressive

Xfilesrool said:
Were the 34's easy to setup and maintaine? My main worry is my skills to fix it... Mine should go like the clappers with a 1776, performace heads and 100 engle cam but it's stupid slow, I am pretty sure a standard 1.6 twinport working well is just as quick.

My dad's an mot tester with years or experience and he says it's the carburettor hence why I went over everything else first.

It's really deflating when it's not running right, I think it's bin time for the 32/36 progressive

Yeah fuck the progressive off and get twin carbs. Forget 34 ICT’s too. A pair of twin choke Weber or dell’orto 36’s would transform your engine. Even some 40’s with suitable venturis would work nicely.

If set up correctly in a rolling road you’ll get more power, torque and fuel economy. Use a decent linkage like a CSP bellcrank also for ease of setting up and a nice feeling throttle. A decent twin carb 1776 should make at least 90hp. 95% of twin carb running issues is incorrect set up and installation, if done by competent person you’ll never need to touch them other than an annual tune up & service

Thanx a lot guys n gals I have took the progressive off today and since the 39 pict is only 150 I'll give it a try.

The twin carbs are so much money, I'm not claiming destitute but I think I've blown all my dough of looking good and interior that I have neglected the engine side. Saying that there's a receipt in my book for £5500 for new engine etc so I've just assumed it's Bob on.

Shane

Lol, we’ve all done it. The biggest prob though is buying stuff in good faith and even though you’ve paid top dollar, it turns out to be a load of cack. So quite possibly, the previous owner has spent big in that department but may have lucked out with the carb as so many do. As Karlos has so delicately put above ^^^ the twin carb set up with a decent bell crank linkage will absolutely transform your motor but I’ll stick by my 34s as they run great and have done for about 12 years or more. Genuine VW doesn’t carry the name as well as it used to, there’s genuine German VW and then there’s other VW like Brazil and others that just are not a patch on the original stuff. Maybe keep your eyes open on this forum and the LateBay for second hand stuff, it comes up fairly frequently.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,love my Webbers :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Where are you based, Shane?

I think I have an old set of twin carbs in a box in the garage that were destined to be rebuilt and installed on my beetle... which I have since sold. If you're near to Leeds and can collect (and assuming I can find them!) you can have them for a crate of beer

gvee said:
Where are you based, Shane?

I think I have an old set of twin carbs in a box in the garage that were destined to be rebuilt and installed on my beetle... which I have since sold. If you're near to Leeds and can collect (and assuming I can find them!) you can have them for a crate of beer

Wow your awesome, I'm in Sheffield 👍

Do you have a contact number?

I can give you something in return, I've got a spare aluminium side step, Weber 32/36 haha or rear horse shoe lowering plates? If you prefer beer it's yours lol

ozziedog said:
Lol, we’ve all done it. The biggest prob though is buying stuff in good faith and even though you’ve paid top dollar, it turns out to be a load of cack. So quite possibly, the previous owner has spent big in that department but may have lucked out with the carb as so many do. As Karlos has so delicately put above ^^^ the twin carb set up with a decent bell crank linkage will absolutely transform your motor but I’ll stick by my 34s as they run great and have done for about 12 years or more. Genuine VW doesn’t carry the name as well as it used to, there’s genuine German VW and then there’s other VW like Brazil and others that just are not a patch on the original stuff. Maybe keep your eyes open on this forum and the LateBay for second hand stuff, it comes up fairly frequently.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,love my Webbers :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Thanx mate the only thing that puts me off is it's more or less got to go on a rolling road to get it just right and that's if you have the jetting right to start with. I like the idea of the 39 pict because of the stock look and it's just like a solex to setup. If I knew more about setting carbs up I'd just go for it.

I've already fell victim to "genuine German part" and stuff described on eBay as good as original lol.

I had a golf MK1 cabriolet and beetle before my bus and sold them both to pay for it. I don't regret it but I do miss the bug a lot. Might have to scratch that itch soon if I can sort the carb on it.

What cc is yours?

Oh mine’s a biggy a mahoosive 1641, but the bad news is it’s a Mexi Brazilly hodge podge that I bought thinking I was doing the right thing but as I mentioned above, it ain’t German quality or even close to it and I’ve never had so many issues with a stockish motor, mainly with the rocker gear, but it’s starting to gravitate down to tappets / cam followers or in that region somewhere, possibly a bad casting but it’s getting noisier now so I’m trying to run it for the rest of the season and hopefully make it through till autumn and then pull it out and have a sniff around. The twin 34s I’ve had for at least a decade maybe more and they were on the van when I bought it with a stock 1600, and I’m pretty sure they were odd ones and second hand when they went on. The bell crank linkages will be added when I raid the noisey cupboard and sort out what ever this crap is that’s happening with this noise. Still goes OK, and good at 55 / 60 on the motorway, I can scream it a bit faster if needs be and get just over 70 but I’m not gonna chance my arm with this motor that is running on borrowed time, so just chill and keep it running. I actually enjoy driving around in my van so I don’t really want to get there much quicker and my days of frightening the sea gulls and old labradors is behind me now. I’ve also de lowered mine and gone up a bit too, rides proper now with some awesome suspenders and some tougher commercials on it to boot. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,0-60 some days and not others :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I've never really looked closely at a mexican bus, I had a mexican bug and might have just been lucky but it was spot on and ran like a dream. Sometimes I think luck plays a part.

IMG-20200415-123230.jpg

Maybe it was just badly maintained at some point. Trouble is air-cooled engines are starting to get very expensive so I'd buy a recon unit sooner rather than later. A nicely setup stock 1600 is actually a brilliant engine and given the choice I'd keep it simple but you have been spolied with a bigger cc and twin carbs so you'll probably not want to revert back to stock. I'm in the camp of originality and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I got the 39 pict from Nottingham's air-cooled hut and fitted this morning. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and was very straight forward. Took it to the garage for emissions check to see if set up okay and needed richening up a bit. It drives really well, I think it's a big improvement on the Weber 32/36. I also like the stock look, no rolling road n simple to setup/fix.

I actually did 70mph with ease on way home so its a bargain really, only time will tell if it stays good.

Ps make sure you throughly clean and blow the carb out before fitting as there are lots of tiny bits of aluminium inside the carb

IMG20210701105429.jpg

That looks great, start looking for a stock air cleaner now ! What’s that I can see in your engine bay ??? Is it a reflection? From the gleam ? If you’re going for the stock ish look, where’s your oily film ??? I’m afraid that just won’t do, not a greasy finger print in sight? :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,looks fab and more :mrgreen:

Been looking for an oil bath filter but they are quite thin on the ground it seems.

I wipe it down when is been one a long journey as it's reward... I also say thank you and kiss the steering wheel 👍

When it's been particularly good I buy it a nice trick item or upgrade 😜

I am a perfectionist and it's quite difficult to live with sometimes especially with old VW's

My name's Shane and I have a problem

Xfilesrool said:
Wow your awesome, I'm in Sheffield 👍

Do you have a contact number?

I can give you something in return, I've got a spare aluminium side step, Weber 32/36 haha or rear horse shoe lowering plates? If you prefer beer it's yours lol
DM'd you my number 👍
Let me find the carbs first and then let's make a plan to get them in your mits.
Don't need any more van parts... Trying to deplete my stash a bit as we might be moving house in the not too distant future and the less I have to shuffle to a new garage the better 😅

Latest posts