5x adults + camping gear in camper for 120 miles to Bug Jam?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIR_CHILLED

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be going to Bug Jam this year in my camper and was wondering if a van would be able to cope with five adults + camping gear for the weekend, have you tried it, is it too much weight?

120 miles one way, obviously will stop for fuel, cake, beers...

The van is in really good mechanical shape, fully serviced, new sparks, oil, timing and valve clearance etc...
Engine is 1600 SP with twin 34 webers, quite pack exhaust and electronic ignitor.

Brakes are standard drums non-servo assisted.

What are your thoughts on this, any advice welcome.

Cheers,

mike.

Depends if its lowered or stock.

If its stock and in good order it can carry up to 1 ton. Micro busses were 8 seaters. There was also a crew bus version that had seats for even more people.

You will notice the extra weight though, both in performance and in how hard you have to press the brake pedal :lol:

(In places like Ethiopia it was not unusual to see 15 in a bus on steep unmade roads - speeds were low though)

As he said, with the emphasis on the standard bit. If all good and generally relable then fine.
I have pulled similar loads (people/gear etc) for much further in my EB with a single port 1600 and its fine. Just bear in mind stopping distances etc.
HAVE FUN!!

(Just take it steady....and leave enough time for your journey)

Yes. There's 5 of us, and whilst my two youngest wont match the weight of adults we have all the camping gear and have taken 3 bikes too. My engine spec was preety much the same as yours (have now upgraded tho). Its fine, as others have said take it easy. Enjoy.

Ok Thanks for the replies this is reassuring and I suppose obvious the Vw designed
the van to do exactly this.
The van is lowered but easily adjustable.

Thanks again,

Mike

It will be fine fella, sit back n enjoy! I used to pull a puck with 5 of us in the bus 180 odd miles to Cornwall with my 1600SP no probs.

Just

I once drove a 68 bus from Southampton to Devon with three adults and a complete but dismantled Aga in the back. So 5 adults and camping gear will be fine ;)

how low are you?

i packed mine for a two week stay in newquay, for two of us, with it dropped on its arse then realised the chassis was sitting on track rods and drive shafts :mrgreen:

an hour adjusting front an rear sorted it out fine :)

my dad use to have one new for work many moons ago and regularly carried a ton of cheese in the back for his work :)

dave

Buses are for using, we took 6 of us in arnie towing a trailer as well last Easter, 140 miles each way no problem.
Then last summer did it again but this time with 5 of us down to Devon, round trip of approx 360 miles.
I'm talking about 6 adults and 5 adults not adults and children.

Remember these buses were designed to carry up to 9 people in microbus form so don't be afraid to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts