68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was camping, I found myself wishing I had a table, so I made one.
DSCF4618.jpg

The leg isn't fixed down though so it'll be susceptable to being kicked out. In time I'll figure out a neat prop, fixed to the side out of the way of feet and knees. This leg is made, in traditional (for me) style from stuff lying around. The top and bottom are made from a trumpet-like car horn, the middle section from a bit of chrome tube (just had enough), inside there is a waxoyl probe and it's held together with HT lead caps. :)
DSCF4620.jpg

68_early_bay said:
ZedBed said:
68_early_bay said:
Nice 8) 8)
Thanks. :)

...and the bracket on the wall it hooks into is an office desk drawer runner. :)

Your middle name isn't macgyver is it...... :lol: :lol:
I find more satisfaction in "fabricating" stuff than buying it and you don't have to scour the internet and wait for things. :) I made the top yesterday evening from what was the RR bed seat before I decided I needed thicker ply, glued on the trim (last pieces I'd made a batch of earlier) and left it clamped overnight. Then I sanded and made the wall bracket, stained the top and while that dried started to puzzle over propping it, then oiled it and made the stand while the oil soaked in a bit. As soon as the stand was sorted I assembled, installed and yes it's still wet in the picture. I'm patient and yet I have no patience at all. :lol: So within 24 hrs of deciding I really need a table I'd done the job. Not too bad eh? Better than waiting for a courier to deliver something that would be the same as everyone elses. ;)

ZedBed said:
ZedBed said:
68_early_bay said:
Nice 8) 8)
Thanks. :)

...and the bracket on the wall it hooks into is an office desk drawer runner. :)

Your middle name isn't macgyver is it...... :lol: :lol

I find more satisfaction in "fabricating" stuff than buying it and you don't have to scour the internet and wait for things. :) I made the top yesterday evening from what was the RR bed seat before I decided I needed thicker ply, glued on the trim (last pieces I'd made a batch of earlier) and left it clamped overnight. Then I sanded and made the wall bracket, stained the top and while that dried started to puzzle over propping it, then oiled it and made the stand while the oil soaked in a bit. As soon as the stand was sorted I assembled, installed and yes it's still wet in the picture. I'm patient and yet I have no patience at all. :lol: So within 24 hrs of deciding I really need a table I'd done the job. Not too bad eh? Better than waiting for a courier to deliver something that would be the same as everyone elses. ;)

Tis why I love your interior :D knowing that every time you post an update it's Gunna be something unique :D and not mass produced crud :D

Have considered and am considering the roof-rack option in the longer term, but it'll cost some mpg up there I think and look just as bad as on the front. Plus I'd have to clamber about to get it off the roof if it were needed. It's a shame it won't cram into the engine bay somewhere, but as we all know - no chance. I'm thinking I'll just have to get used to it on the front. :(

There's no neat discrete answer to this is there... apart from tyre levers, a repair kit and a fag lighter compressor, but who wants to mess around like that on the hard shoulder? Not me. :)

I know this stuff is the devil, but how about it for short journeys and put on the spare for the longer trips :msn4:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-400ml-Tyre-weld-Emergency-Puncture-Repair-by-Holts-/120934323754?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item1c283f562a#ht_500wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(spares on the front = :sick0006: )

68_early_bay said:
I know this stuff is the devil, but how about it for short journeys and put on the spare for the longer trips :msn4:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-400ml-Tyre-weld-Emergency-Puncture-Repair-by-Holts-/120934323754?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item1c283f562a#ht_500wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(spares on the front = :sick0006: )
I have a gut feeling that the foam suff will ruin the tyre and wheel, while not working properly. Also if you had blow-out it'd be no use, or if tyre came off rim again useless.

At least I have a ratty plain black cover for it. Maybe I need a trailer... :sick0006:

sparkywig said:
Have you raided a tannery?
Yep - I think I have enough :lol: They stink like a dry cleaners so I put them outside for a while, but they still stink. :(

Oh I don't like the wheel on the front Steve! Be better just having recovery cover and if one blows just wait for that or on a rack I think. I'm in agreement about the racks but they're really good for extra storage space. You could make a 'unique' one of your own with aerodynamics :mrgreen:

Latest posts