68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll keep my eye out for new webs as they're pretty easy to spot. I'll be cavity waving it all fairly soon too. I'm just glad I don't have a head lining or furniture for them to hide in...

ZedBed said:
I'll keep my eye out for new webs as they're pretty easy to spot. I'll be cavity waving it all fairly soon too. I'm just glad I don't have a head lining or furniture for them to hide in...

Yep thats like the webs i kept getting in mine. the one in mine must have been scared of heights thoough as my bus was up on a two poster ramp for a week or so, i think it moved into my mates 2 door XJ6 below with nice biege leather interior, not cheap vinyl :lol:

are they all in the sliding door side rear jacking point?

Nugsy said:
ZedBed said:

Yep thats like the webs i kept getting in mine. the one in mine must have been scared of heights thoough as my bus was up on a two poster ramp for a week or so, i think it moved into my mates 2 door XJ6 below with nice biege leather interior, not cheap vinyl :lol:

What do you mean "all"? I thought that was the last one!

ZedBed said:
Nugsy said:
ZedBed said:

What do you mean "all"? I thought that was the last one!

'all' as in if you're gunna get one thats where it will be :lol:

See what you mean. :lol:

Here's another though - I was about to replace the front pan and noticed the webs. Carb cleaner disabled it so I could knock it to the floor and stamp on it.
DSCF3773.jpg

ZedBed said:
creationblue said:
Good work Zed great thread, oh and get the kids drink container back in the cupboard b4 the mrs finds out :lol:

Just
Hi Just - The kids are now 20 & 22 so they won't need it. :)
And the wife ran off with Elvis Presley last Feb, which is why I used her toothbrush to clean the visors, and also the whole reason I have the bus in the first place. I may post her the toothbrush when I'm finished with it. :lol:

All's good in the world.
Peace and love campers.

:lol:

Time for an update and a suspension re-cap. I haven't had much time to spare recently but I've been settling the rear down a bit. :) I started with this - random tyres and one odd 15" wheel...
SDC13951.jpg

...went down to here with flipped spindles and one notch at the back...
DSCF3694.jpg

...but the rear tyres were too small for my liking, so I got more standard sized ones.
DSCF3695.jpg

Then of course the nose was too far down (or the rear too high) - I prefer them more level, so after much calculating of inner and outer splines found it would be about right on the wheels/tyres I like just doing 2 outer splines.:lol: I had planned boomerang plates, but when I mocked it up I couldn't get my wheels on even though the springplate was on the bottom stop, so no chance of crow-barring the suspension down. My fault - I like big Tyres.:) I used a brake piston compressor to wind the suspension down and get the wheels on. I pray I never have a flat! I do have a cunning plan for this, but I'm giving it some more thought before lacing into it in case it's not as cunning as I think. :?
DSCF3784.jpg

And one of the back
DSCF3781.jpg

So is that 3 splines in total on the back to get it level or 2.

Intrigued as i'm waiting for my drop spindles and got horseshoes already for the rear, but putting 7" cookies and 195/55*15tyres with 6" and 165/65*15 on the front as they both work out to a 4.2" sidewall so like you trying to keep it level not raked either way

Nugsy said:
So is that 3 splines in total on the back to get it level or 2.

Intrigued as i'm waiting for my drop spindles and got horseshoes already for the rear, but putting 7" cookies and 195/55*15tyres with 6" and 165/65*15 on the front as they both work out to a 4.2" sidewall so like you trying to keep it level not raked either way
Sorry for any confusion - that's 2 outer splines total = 110mm. A bit more than the horseshoe plates. I don't think you'll have trouble fitting your larger wheels/smaller tyre combo - the problem I have with mine is they are all tyre. :) But that's what I like and I'm having it. :lol:

:shock:

DSCF3785.jpg

I always shudder when I see one of these chopped out - who would do such a thing? And why? :oops:

DSCF3787.jpg

This seemed the best solution.
I don't want to waste inside space having the heater under the rear seat.
I want a leisure battery in the tray.
I might want to fit an engine with twin carbs.
I can't get the back wheels off in a hurry and on the side of the road it would be difficult, any way and the fronts are a different size, so not much point having a spare - Tyre-weld for me then.
More room in the back as well without a spare.
I made a cover from my trusty stock of 1.5mm shelving.
DSCF3789.jpg

I removed the unused remote oil filter fitting and rubber mounted the pump using one of the holes left. Bracket made from a jubilee clip and a seatbelt bracket.
DSCF3788.jpg

I'll plumb it another day with hot/cold air througn the bulkhead, exhaust through the battery tray, inlet from the air intake and T off the petrol under the van.

Much neater all round than the big heavy box it was in for mounting under the seat.
DSCF3763.jpg

I kept part of the box attached to the heater and trimmed it down for a mounting bracket.

All in all quite pleased with myself. And yes - it does need a good clean in there before I fit it permanently!

The one not-so-good-as-it-could-be thing is that the warm air outlet points backwards away from the cabin. I fitted it the way up it was in the box, with the writing/label the right way up. Does anyone know if I could have fitted it the other way up?

As I mentioned, it's not ideal how I had it fitted. It was irking me - I've been walking past it all day - so I put in a couple of hours after work.

First I carved some brackets from the remains of the box to mount the mounting plate. Now it can sit exhaust down and warm air towards the cabin. I don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place - I've seen enough pictures with the exhaust straight through the cabin floor!
DSCF3791.jpg

The routing for the petrol and all the pipes is now more sensible and it's a bit tidier. The warm air and inlet are both going into the cabin above the wheelarch.
DSCF3792.jpg

As that didn't take as long as expected, I dug out the exhaust tailpipe. As it's the same dia as the s/s flex pipe, I had to make a reducer and weld it to the tailpipe so the flexi would fit. Then drilled a hole in the battery tray and slotted it through. The tailpipe comes with a collar to fix it to the battery tray (or floor or whatever). Handy.:)

Tidy Exhaust route.:) If the noise bugs me I can slot in a silencer easily enough. The inlet needs lengthening or replacing.
DSCF3794.jpg

And ratty tailpipe.
DSCF3795.jpg

creationblue said:
Nice work Zed

Just
Too kind. It's all trial fitting at the moment. Once the whole plan comes together I'll whip it out, clean and paint everything and make it permanent. :)

I had to move it to another unit to get it out of the way today, so while it was out I took some outdoor pics now it's 2-splines down at the back. It's looking much better to my eyes without the rake. What'll happen when I kit it out inside I don't know, but hopefully straight down another inch.:)

DSCF3810.jpg

DSCF3807.jpg

It actually looks quite shiney in that first photo Steve! Have you been secretly polishing? :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Merlydog said:
It actually looks quite shiney in that first photo Steve! Have you been secretly polishing? :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
No - It was covered in dust 10 minutes earlier - quickly power dusted inside and out with air-line and a rag but it's still filthy.

One advantage of doing a project in your spare time - loads of planning time. :roll:
When I changed the broken silencer for the 4:1 exhaust I had a couple of bits left over from the warm air ducts so I made this...
DSCF3821.jpg

...fitted it here...
DSCF3817.jpg

...and connected it to the heater. One for hot air and one for re-heating the air from the cabin.
DSCF3819.jpg

A bit of a squeeze, but being so high up I think I'll need the duct to hug the wall, hence the angles on the tubes through the plate - that and the wheel arch is still rising engine side of the bulkhead and the bulkhead is sloped. It all just fits. I love it when a plan comes together without too many hiccups. :)

ZedBed said:
One advantage of doing a project in your spare time - loads of planning time. :roll:
When I changed the broken silencer for the 4:1 exhaust I had a couple of bits left over from the warm air ducts so I made this...

...fitted it here...
DSCF3817.jpg

A bit of a squeeze, but being so high up I think I'll need the duct to hug the wall, hence the angles on the tubes through the plate - that and the wheel arch is still rising engine side of the bulkhead and the bulkhead is sloped. It all just fits. I love it when a plan comes together without too many hiccups. :)

Ingenious! I love it 8)

Latest posts