68 gas tank removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speedwell68 said:
58 special said:
thanks guys, i thought so, but wasnt sure.

Just a question buy why do you need to remove the fuel tank?

i am getting a panel van that has been sittin up for 15+ years and was think ing of giving it a good cleaning. or is there a way i could clean/flush it in the bus?

There is another way...

P1010073.JPG

:eek:

58 special said:
speedwell68 said:
58 special said:
thanks guys, i thought so, but wasnt sure.

i am getting a panel van that has been sittin up for 15+ years and was think ing of giving it a good cleaning. or is there a way i could clean/flush it in the bus?

Disconnet the fuel pipe from the tank from the engine, if there is any fuel there stick a suitable bolt up it and tighten the clip. Feed the pipe back through the tinware so it is hanging next to the gearbox. If there was any fuel take the bolt out and drain it in to a fuel can. It is under gravity so the fuel flows quite quickly. Then bung up the pipe again. Then pour at least a gallon of paraffin into the tank and leave it to soak for a couple of hours. Then drain it out again, if there was any shit on the bottom of the tank this should have flushed it. Then replace all the fuel lines and the fuel filter, make sure you use proper fuel pipe clips and not jubilee clips as jubilee can go oval and cut into the pipe. Then fill the tank with fresh fuel and keep an eye out for any leaks. Any more crap in the tank should be stopped by the filter. If you can't be bothered with the above just change all the fuel lines and keep the filter changed.

speedwell68 said:
58 special said:
speedwell68 said:

Disconnet the fuel pipe from the tank from the engine, if there is any fuel there stick a suitable bolt up it and tighten the clip. Feed the pipe back through the tinware so it is hanging next to the gearbox. If there was any fuel take the bolt out and drain it in to a fuel can. It is under gravity so the fuel flows quite quickly. Then bung up the pipe again. Then pour at least a gallon of paraffin into the tank and leave it to soak for a couple of hours. Then drain it out again, if there was any shit on the bottom of the tank this should have flushed it. Then replace all the fuel lines and the fuel filter, make sure you use proper fuel pipe clips and not jubilee clips as jubilee can go oval and cut into the pipe. Then fill the tank with fresh fuel and keep an eye out for any leaks. Any more crap in the tank should be stopped by the filter. If you can't be bothered with the above just change all the fuel lines and keep the filter changed.

what exactly is parrafin?
ive never heard of it?

Paraffin is a petrol like fuel, it is used in oil lamps and things like that. The americans call it Kerosene. You should be able to get it from DIY sheds and hardware shops...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_oil

speedwell68 said:
Paraffin is a petrol like fuel, it is used in oil lamps and things like that. The americans call it Kerosene. You should be able to get it from DIY sheds and hardware shops...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_oil

oh okay, kerosene,
well that sounds easy enough then,
thanks man,

Latest posts