68 Westy rear curved interior wood piece brackets

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I'm trying to identify what the brackets look like that hold the rear curved plywood piece found on 1968 Westys to the van. I will follow up with some photos, but in the meantime, the parts I have are the curved wood, and the middle cargo net support bracket. I can see that this bracket screws into the centre of the curved wood piece through one of the holes, and then there's another hole above this that I believe just a single screw goes through. I presume that one or both of these attach to a bracket of some kind behind the curved wood. Then there's holes on either side of the curved wood where I can clearly see the outline of where a bracket has been.

From what I can see of the original holes in the metalwork of the van, there are single holes on either side of the boot opening up on the strengthener pieces, and then two holes in the centre. These match up with the locations of the bracket holes in the wood, so that's a plus!

I've been sent the below photo, but the seller is not sure if the brackets are correct, and I'm not sure that the bolt holes line up with what I'm seeing with what I have.

If anyone could shed some light, that'd be appreciated as much Google searching has yielded nothing! Is it just three brackets that screw to the roof, or is there more to it?

Not the best photos, but single holes on either side can be seen close to where the ply roof ends, and the double hole in the centre:

44e8b8e0828f96c45e675e1e276f2c6a.jpg

5ee96655c46ecf5bf985e368621791de.jpg

16fee3ef6854deddbc7e86beabdf4558.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And some pics of the wood itself. Evidence of side brackets:

70184404a7ce24481e061e34fca23c40.jpg

33862816655312f4de592adeae4a647c.jpg

And centre bracket on the inside of the wood:

8a97327aeb781a1a319f305ac7c7ed9e.jpg

And cargo net bracket and single screw in the outside:

5d74e2e559174f662bd579723ba16d42.jpg

Been a while since I took that panel off. I can try and get some pics at the weekend if I remember

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

67westy said:
Been a while since I took that panel off. I can try and get some pics at the weekend if I remember

Thanks Adam, would be massively appreciated if you could! That rear end of the van is a bit of an eyesore when lying in bed - looks to have had a new rear roof section at some point in the past.

Regards, James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your wardrobe bracket looks interesting, does it not have a standard clamp on that attaches near the tailgate seal?

67westy said:
Your wardrobe bracket looks interesting, does it not have a standard clamp on that attaches near the tailgate seal?

Nope - there’s definitely nothing original about that clamp! The wardrobe and bed are definitely out of a later Westy, but the fridge seems original. One day I may try to replace them... will need to have a look for said original wardrobe clamp.

I’m not sure! What is your 2nd photo of as this is the kind of bracket I was expecting? I assume there are only 3 that hold the curved piece to the roof, but not 100% on that.

I think you are right with 3. Second pic is the side bracket that you have the shadow of on your pics. That was taken through the hinge hole. Other bracket I think is in the centre where the cargo net bracket is. I'm not sure if the mozzy net poppers go in to the metal work or not

Latest posts