69 California Westy.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like it, ive had the idea in mind for ages but just had to get around to doing it.

Havent seen it done before although its a obvious upgrade if you think about it. Expect everyone will have one by the end of the year.

clyde said:
Expect everyone will have one by the end of the year.

Only if they have a Westy poptop :mrgreen:

Does look good and makes sense to me also - what other smart ideas do you have then ;)

What a fookin morning that was. You know when you expect a job to take about 40 mins to a hour and it takes the best part of a morning.

Exhaust is on so built up the bumper/towbar/bumper irons and got a mate round to give me a lift. No can do..............

Although the exhaust clears the bumper and towbar it would be easier with standard bumper mounts rather than towbar type.

So, bumper stripped from towbar again so the irons and towbar could be fitted on its own. Had to lossen all the bolts to give it some movement. Once this was on it was the struggle to get the bumper and splash pans on over the towbar without damaging the paint. Tried the pans first and this didnt work so back off with the bumper AGAIN and fitted the pans into the bumper then fitted it that way.

This all sounds quite easy but doing up all the bolts with the bumper on is hard enough in its self without having the bumper bar in the way. Try it you will see what i mean.

Anyway its on now and im glad i decided that the pans had to go back in what ever the time taken was. Just hope i dont have to remove the engine anytime soon.

159.jpg

Exhauust clearance

161.jpg

162.jpg

The towbar.

163.jpg

Its all about the splash pans. They make the rear corner look so much better. Ive always had them on and ive already had them on and off a few times (painting, fitting towbar etc) but much harder with shiney new paint.

164.jpg

165.jpg

Still got the dash area to tidy up and re fit the radio and a new interiour ariel, bamboo parcel shelf, heating ducts (nightmare) and glove box, not to mention the door cards. Cant bring myself to cut them so will be fitting the speakers in the kick panels i think.
Nearly done now, just in time to go back to work for 3 weeks.

Looking the dogs that there rear bumper, zorst, splash pans and tow hook 8)

Mine never had the splash pans. How does it all fit together if you don't mind me asking and can you still get them - remember that mine is a X-over so would they be different to yours?

Dont really know is the honest answer, i know splitties and earlybays came with them but i think the cost cutting did away with them in later years.
You can get repo splaah pans but im not sure if they will fit your rear corners.
Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers mate and what I thought ;)

Your welcome for the kind words as they are meant :D

I did my splash pans black to cover up dirt that gathers there , but I agree they look good on white , much cleaner.
Love that rear end set up.

Weather was abit crap today but went for a little drive.

168.jpg

166.jpg

167-1.jpg

Back in the lock up with some other Vdubs now while im away at work

171.jpg

Wasnt too sure at first but it fits ok and dose the job so will be staying for long trips.

P1020589.jpg

Not too far for the first outing, River Dart Country Park this weekend on with aload of mates.

P1020592.jpg

P1020594.jpg

The petrol can is for the monkey bike, not in case i run out in the van.

P1020596.jpg

P1020595.jpg

P1020599-1.jpg

It used to belong to Alex on here (jesus) and i got it off who ever he sold it to on here but i cant remember their name im affraid.
Thanks for the kind comments. I was never a bra fan to be honest but this one fits really well unlike many ive seen and the plain black makes it look less fussy. As long as it keeps off the chips ill be happy.

hello jon.... just been looking at pics of your exhaust.... tailpipe looks pretty close to the bumper....
in yr experience.... do think you would have problems with overiders?
cheers,
jon

Latest posts