'69 camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugdust

Reaction score
I picked up a 69 camper a couple weeks ago. So far I have:
pressure washed the exterior
half-assed cleaned the interior
removed the rear luggage rack
removed the engine & started tearing it down

As found
69bus001.jpg

When I got it home
69bus004.jpg

69bus002.jpg

69bus006.jpg

69camper005.jpg

more pics soon

Nice project and welcome to the forum. Looks like your a vw fan already with the beetle valance in the photo.

Nice project and a great addition to the rest! hello and welcome dood 8)

A very nice bunch of motors and prupose built home for them too 8)

Welcome and look forward to seeing this being 'done up!' :D

Nice looking project. Always good to see a white westy. 8)

What are you plans for her?

The plan is to get it on the road and mechanically right. Once that is done I'll put a new pop-up canvas on it and fix the roof (it has some metal damage) and then I might pull all the interior out, seal the floors with Masterseries and put it all back with new flooring, curtains, etc. I doubt if it will get "restored". My 16 yr old son wants it so I may sell the tan 67 bug and buy another 68-70 camper. I would like a Riviera...or a Westy with a Riviera top.

pic of it today
013.jpg

The paint is chipped all over and it does have a few rust issues. It needs some metal work above the sliding door, both rear corners, front floor and both rockers have some rust starting. Under the windshield has rust also.

Love the sun glare and the blue sky 8) .......Wind and rain here in Blighty

Good luck dude

I got the engine on the stand to start tearing down. The main seal has been leaking for a while apparently, as well as the oil cooler. This thing is nasty!! The heat riser on the right side has a hole rusted through it and "patched" with a beer can and hose clamps. I sprayed PB Blaster on everything a few days ago when I got the engine out and again yesterday. I start taking the exhaust off and the #1 comes loose with ease. I go to #3 and start stripping the nut. I grab a 1/2" (12.7 mm vs. 13mm) and still strip it more. I give it a couple small whacks with the ball-peen and another squirt of PB Blaster (I'm out of Kroil) and move to #4. I get the top one of #4 loose but then it stops. I strip the bottom one out. I get the top one on #2 loose but can't get the bottom one to move. I go back to #3 with vise-grips and of course, I snap the stud. I break out the torch and try #4 again to no avail. I decide to let them soak overnight and try the intake. All four nuts come right off at the head and the right side heat-riser comes right out, but I immediately snap both bolts on the left side heat-riser. The pisser is that I don't have any studs. I had them in my hand at BugJam but didn't buy them for some reason. This engine is box-stock with all the exhaust and heater stuff still on it. It's a mess.

I haven't really had a chance to do much to the bus lately. I did manage to snap three of theexhaust studs off in the head...all on one head luckily. I have the engine torn down to the short block and sitting on the stand. I did remove some of the filler from the roof. It is pretty thick in spots and was cracking all over. Water has got in behind it and rusted a number of holes in the roof. There are spots of filler 10mm thick!
More later.
007-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Latest posts