'69 deluxe project Lefty - back on the road again!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear that it's sorted with the brakes :D
Let the good time's begin

It took a while to get Lefty registered, so spend a little time on the 3/4 - 1/4 window in the sliding door. It was fitted quicker than the other side, but what a unpleasant work :evil:

Also started with making my own panels. Made them out of 3 mm PE plate, now thinking of how to upholster it. Maybe some sky or just a selfmade print?

Two weeks after the MOT inspection, Lefty is finally registered! So get as quick as possible license plates and drove with my two little girls. They enjoyed it very well, also a big smile on my face :D

It drives pretty comfortable! The airride setup seems to have a little leak (on the air tank). Drove it with 50 Psi and it takes bumps very well ;-)
Also the old seals are very bad . . . yesterday had some rain on it and there was some water inside :? Also the new quarter vent windows (seals are brand new) are leaking as well. So need to solve that problem at some point. First collecting some money to replace all seals.

Made a quick picture with the earlybay from my brother. He has bought almost the same one last year and working very hard to get it fully done. His van goes to the painter tomorrow . . . so he get's a shiny one ;-)

Lefty is back in the Shack again. Want to take it out last friday for a little drive. Started the engine and it runs very well. But when driving it, white smoke came out of the exhaust. First some little clouds, so took it back and take a quick look. Then drove another block and it blew out more white smoke :cry: Parked it to avoid (more) damage.

Yesterday inspected the engine on the outside. There was oil on the exhaust, and one of the spark plugs also had some oil on it. We started it (runs okay) and oil came out of one of the outlets. The problem is probably a broken valve spring :cry:

So no drive this weekend (Aircooled at the Beach in Scheveningen (NL)), next week taking out the engine :(

So sorry for you, was looking forward to see your bus at aircooled Scheveningen :(

Yesterday my mates surprised me (and that's an understatement)! They had build in another engine to get me at Schevingen with Lefty. I was speechless!
My brother (wo was also involved in the surprise-action) made a time-lapse from the engine swap with his camera . . .

http://youtu.be/YfuMjEl-H10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So today we visited Scheveningen. The single port 1600 drives okay, but leaked a little oil when we paused half way. When we entered the boulevard, very much oil was dripping underneath the bus . . . not good. Parked it on a cardboard (just like the other 799 cars) and covered the oil on the boulevard with some sand ;) In the afternoon we had take a look at the engine. Didn't do a lot myself . . . help came out of every corner. Also had a little talk with 'Stuif' (leuk kennis gemaakt te hebben, jouw busje ziet er ook top uit).

Great news and great video!

[youtube]YfuMjEl-H10[/youtube]

Especially love the shot at the end of Lefty catching up.

8) 8) 8)

Nice to meet U2, to bad about the oil leaking and couldn't be fixed on the spot.
Hope you had a good/safe trip home(did you go all the way home on tow ??)

No, we towed it to a place somewhere in The Hague. It was a pretty busy on the roads in Schevingen, so we've taked a touristic route over bumpy and small roads ;-)
This evening I'll drive back to The Hague with a trailer and pick it up.

MetPeter said:
No, we towed it to a place somewhere in The Hague. It was a pretty busy on the roads in Schevingen, so we've taked a touristic route over bumpy and small roads ;-)
This evening I'll drive back to The Hague with a trailer and pick it up.

I heard Lefty is driving again ;) next job check the engine?

Pfieuw . . .long time ago!

Stil driven with the borrowed engine, but need to solve the engine problem.
We already took the 1835 apart and it seems there's some damage which gonna cost a lot of money :cry: One of the biggest issues is that both heads have an ugly crack. Last weeks (or months) I've searched for a solution, but almost all options are expensive. Even a TypeIV engine was one of the options . . . but to expensive to let it fit in the baywindow.

Last week I've found a running 1776cc engine, which is for sale as a long block. So maybe gonna buy that engine and build all components from the 1835 on to the 1776.
So: enough ideas, now some little time and money and where on it again.

Somewhere in July I've sprayed the repaired places on the "Lefty-side" blue. I didn't liked it, it where the characteristics of Lefty ;) So sanded it down again en now gonna treat it against rust with Owatrol Rustoleum.

Last weekend take a trip with some friends to the meeting Beautiful Budel ;-)

And again . . . long time ago ;-)

This winter did some work on the ‘new’ 1776 engine.

Cleaned it a little and start building up al the parts of the 1835 cc. Because it’s a beetle case, I had to solve a little problem: there are no mounting holes drilled for the engine bar.

There’s an Empi kit available, but that doesn’t work for me because I’ve an CSP oil pump plate with fitting for the full-flow. So I drawed a simple bracket myself. A good friend made it out of thick steel, and after some welding and testfitting it was ready!

Finally, a few weeks ago I’had some time to finish the build. Placed the carburators, Vintage Speed exhaust and last tinwork.

In the meanwhile the gearbox ratio is changed by a new crown and pinion. This job was done nicely by Volksprojects. So when the gearbox was ready, filled it with oil and placed it back into Lefty . . . and after that the engine!

Only one thing forgotten: the Full-flow adapter from CSP wasn’t installed yet. Not a big job, only remove the rear oil pressure control piston and replaced it with the CSP adapter.

While reading the fitting instruction, there was another point I forgot . . . the oilpump hole has to be closed. The oilpump of the 1835 was still in a box, so placed it into the engine case. Before that I had to remove some tinware, the exhaust en the engine bar.

Last thursday my friend Marcel (from FastOldies.nl) did the finetuning on the engine! Fingers crossed, but after a few minutes it really runs well!

So finally I can drive again, it really drives lovely, it’s quick and also the new gear ratio is perfect! The first big testdrive was last sunday to Ninove ;-) A little cold (heatingcable not installed and some 40 yrs old seals).

Find myself a nice place on the market ;-)

And with my friends from the blue team ….

Latest posts