69 'Old Blue' Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When ( ) you finaly get it painted, you ought to keep the colour original, it suits it .

I've always intended to keep the Brilliant blue, its a nice colour. I will get there eventually :roll:

Well travelled? it had done 88,207 when I got it last August, back from Plymouth today the clock reads 96,860, stone me, 8,653 since then :shock:

bang goes the 5,000 a year limited at that rate :lol:

Like I said, I just luv driving it ;)

Blimey!!! ive only done 2.5k in mine and 1000 of that has been from workshop to workshop to bodyshop to workshop etc, etc........ :mrgreen:
Good to see it getting used though. Hopefully next year and beyond mine will start clocking it up rather than just being moved from pillar to post.

As far as I'm concerned their made to be driven, and does get driven :D

I had a mini Cooper ( brilliant fun to drive) which I restored many years ago, I drove it to all the major shows round the country and did very well in the concours. I could never then understand why people would trailor their cars to the shows, roll them off onto little discs to protect the tyres :roll: and then load them back on the trailer and back to their garages :shock:

Still did better than most of them, and they got the right hump ;)

The bus will always be used as much as possible within reason.

Another little job out of the way before the Breeze :D just the twin carbs to go now

At last I got my Notek's working
noteksworking.jpg

:lol: just a bit

did have some misfortune though, on taking the lens out one side I dropped it straight on the concrete and smashed it :shock: but luckily some time ago the guy who lives across the road wandered over and gave me a lens :D he had cleared his garage out and noticed the bus had noteks on. The blue center is not as dark but it will do till I get a replacement. ;)

Hmmm, :? not sure if this was an impulse buy, some form of rekindling ones youth, or some form of an extention to the wot nots :lol: but I love it :D had the urge ever since Vanfest watching a group of over aged teenagers riding round on various old skool bmx's :lol:

My boy took the p*ss till I let him have a go up the road on it, he too now loves it!!

can't get him off it :roll:

1981 Grifter XL
grifterxl002.jpg

The guy I got it from also had three chopper's, two of which were mk1's and all original, two in bits, and a restored no holds barred pink one he has just sold for £900 :shock: mental!

Hindsight would have been a wonderful thing eh? ;)

Hi Rich, yep all the gears work fine, the p/o rebuilt them ;)

Well finally got the twin solex's underway today, bit of finishing early tomoz and hope to fire her up :D A little heath robinson for now as I was limited with the amount of fuel pipe so will tweek that later. Nothing rubbing or catching anywhere so safe emough for now.

out with the old
s001o.jpg

in with the new
s005p.jpg

Hiya Simon, well if I get a real early start, and 'luck it' with getting it running, and working on the theory the carbs and linkages are set pretty close for a 1600 tp, then you might see it tomorrow ;) then you might well not :lol:

The throttle cable and pedal seem to work ok, the throttle stops on the crabs are coming back together on the stops so looks promising. :)

I unhooked my improvised return spring on the left carb as the pedal was stiff to push, much better feel with the one original spring.

Twin carbs always look good on the VW engines

they do indeed 8) so lets hope the b*ggers will run!! :lol:
fingers crossed with a little tweeking they will, but something tells me there could be much 'tinkering' ahead.
Its a big ask to expect them to straight off.

they do indeed so lets hope the b*ggers will run!!

and they do :mrgreen: how lucky was that? ;)

Seems to idle ok and rev off the pedal with no fluffing, big test in a bit when I take it for a spin.

Not bad for a bolt up and go, the only thing that needs sorting is that it races a little between gear changes. might be the linkage set up or the mixture possibly. I have had a look at the mixture screws and the righthand is quite accessable, but the left :shock: looks really akward to get onto.
So she's usable and just needs some fine tuning to get spot on now. ;)

Great result 8)

Sounding like you are on you to a winner with those carbs ;)

Hiya gninnam, yeah pretty pleased so far big difference to preformance :D Need to re-route the fuel pipes behind the fan cowling to tidy things up when I get some more pipe. A few other little things to sort out in the next few days. But overall not to bad.

Just the b*stard left side mixture screw, stupid place to put it so close to the cowling :x I can't even feel it let alone see it :roll:
I want to try to tweek them, I don't think it needs much though the way it runs thus far ;)
Need to give it a good run out to see what the fuel consumptoin is like and what its like to start after a long run. It been hot today and its been running a lot off and on and no trouble starting as yet. Going to take it to work tomoz so see what the cold starting is like and how long to get it warm and idle.

In short, its up and usable so I'll be able to tinker as I go :)

Managed to get onto the elusive left mixture screw in the end :D
I've been tinkering but I am going to get a flow meter and adaptor as I realize, after much reading, how critical it is to sync the carbs properly. Also getting the linkage spot on thereafter.

Its nice to be able to still use the bus and see it improving with each step.

Latest posts