69 'Old Blue' Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly don't do things by half :lol:

Hope the engine works out OK (now you have two to play with :mrgreen: )

Looking very nice 8)

Hi gninnam, I love my wife :D
Engine looks to ok despite sitting in the guys garage for a year, nice and clean if not a little dusty. Looks to have had heads and barels has certainly had some attention.
Turns over ok and gives a good kick back as it hits tdc. I wipped a valve cover off and nice clean oil laying in there, and the oil in on the stick is clean as well. I might as its sat a while put a little lube down the spark plug holes and keep giving it a turn over as I go.
I have a 4 into one header and box to fit along with a moded new 34pict3 carb. The guy removed the svda dizzy for a 009 for which I am running in the bus now. I also have a pertronix kit waiting in the wings. A new pulley and alloy bolt on valve covers. Speaking of which, if you have to remove the rockes shaft bolts to fit the new nuts, I imagine it would be wise to recheck the clearances?

And a decent running spare to play with, just an oil gobbler :lol:

twinport002.jpg

Love this picture :lol: .
Is your oil leaker a tp motor aswell? Would have thought it would have been a sp.
Looking forward to stripping your old motor? theyre not as bad as youd think to strip, even splitting the case.
It all looks like its comming on well 8)

Rich

Hello Rich :lol:

Yeah I'm looking forward to stripping the 'oil leaker' ( twinport) that was the reason I chose this route as opposed to an exchange. It actually runs ok, lets hope the new one does the same :shock:

I have built a few engines gone by but knew nothing about flat fours, now I'm in to it they are pretty staightforward.

How the red bus?

Comming along slowly (Take a looksy in the gallery) but surely.
Just a tip, get the case crack tested when its stripped.
I spent good time and money and built the perfect engine with no expence spared but overlooked a crack test :roll: . Theres a crack about 3/4 inch long in my case that is gonna be sorted at some point but want to get a bit of use out of it 1st.

Rich 8)

Good advice Rich ;) I'm in no rush for the other engine but will tinker along as time allows. No real plans for it as yet.

Got the header bolted up with a little juggling, playing with the rear box, that will will come off to fit to the van. And the sticky up tube? just a trial run on how I want to fit it. Once the rear tin is bolted on I want to utilze the metal connector that fits into the original heat exchangers. Basically use the large clamps to fix the fresh air pipe onto the exchanger and run a short piece to the bottom of the connector below the tin with another large clamp (just enough depth) the upper part will be attached as per normal with the tin seal.
I was going to pull all the tin off and paint it but its not bad as it goes, a bit dusty and as it stands in keeping with the engine bay, tidy but aged :lol:

twinport008.jpg

Its out :mrgreen: considering this was my first time I was well chuffed to have it done in 35 mins on my own from start to finish. :D
Very oily, dirty job and hard to tell where its been leaking from the most :shock: The bell housing is a little wet so a good clean needed in there. Got the bits of tin wear off I need and they need some major cleaning as well. Tomorrows job.
So looking good for next Thursday when the new one goes back in ;)

twinport011t.jpg

Well done ;)

Love the obligatory mug of tea/coffee/water/pop in the picture :lol:

:lol: :lol: Coffee as it goes, but only after having it out.
Hard to believe I took it to work this morning.

Something did spring to mind today. The engine builder has left a bolt in the top right hand engine/gearbox hole with the treaded part pointing towards the starter motor, This will have to be sawn off as it is a stud from the starter side on the old engine.
Theres no way other than removing the fan housing that it can come out :roll: hey ho!

streetboy said:
:lol: :lol: Coffee as it goes, but only after having it out.
Hard to believe I took it to work this morning.

Something did spring to mind today. The engine builder has left a bolt in the top right hand engine/gearbox hole with the treaded part pointing towards the starter motor, This will have to be sawn off as it is a stud from the starter side on the old engine.
Theres no way other than removing the fan housing that it can come out :roll: hey ho!

More importantly - the wife wants to know where the custard creams are :lol:

Strange about the bolt being in :?:

Is a bit odd but not a big issue.

I'm a bit more confident about the new engine now. The P.O was running an electric fuel pump and had fitted a blanking plate. On removing this to fit a new fuel pump I shone a tourch down the into the crank case. It revealed a nice shiny new crank bearing which was pleasing. It seems that the bottom end has been done, up till then I was not exactly sure what I was getting for my money.

Well I'm all set now for thursday barring removing the engine from the front room tommorrow and sitting on the jack ready to go. Excited ;)
twinport018.jpg

Made an early start this morning and had the engine in and bolted up by 9am. No real dramas just had to turn the crankshaft pulley a tad for it to fully engage.

twinport019.jpg

I plodded on reconnecting everything and getting the wiring sorted and plenty of coffee breaks as I went :lol: Then the moment arrived about 11am to turn her over. Took a little bit of winding but thankfully the oil light went out :) I repeated this three times and then connected the pertronix to the coil. Bit more winding then a cough, another cough and she fired up :D
But within seconds a very loud squeaking from the rear :shock: so turned it off straight away.
On inspection there was a heavy smell of petrol, not the pipe but the actual fuel pump was p*ssing out fuel from the crimped seal at the top :shock: Bugger, (and m7 can have it back)
So I took off and cleaned up the pump from the old engine and fitted that. She fired up on the button, and considering I had made no adjustments she idled quite well from the off. I did set the 009 dizzy on the engine as near to the 009 on the old engine as a starting point which certainly did me a favour.

Left it running like this for about 20 mins keeping an eye out for the oil light and any oil leaks, but everything was AOK.
Then an hours tinkering with the timing and the carb and out for a road test. I have to say its running quite well, no flat spot and revs very sharply :shock: , the move to mod the carb and up the main and idle jets was a good one.

So tommorrow a proper run under various loads and some more tinkering as I go.
Gearbox oil to do and when shes cooled off overnight I will reckeck the valve clearances. It sounds a little ticky compared to the old lump. And good few more jobs penciled in before the end of the weekend. Right now I'm feeling pretty pleased I can tell you :D

Ahh, one annoying thing was that the bore on the new barels for clamping the heater cables is too small :roll: so I'll have to run a drill through them to open the up a bit. Also the rubber seals for the exchanger to body pipes were a pain. In the end I put the original VW fibre seals and metal tubes back in and no probs ;) Roll on tommorow :mrgreen:

Sounds like a very good day - will keep fingers and toes crossed for you during the next tests :D

Thank you chaps, a very good day indeed :D

Mind you I have not wound the timing right up to 28/32 degrees btdc @ 3000rpm yet, this I'll do tomorrow first thing. I must admit I was a little apprehensive of this with a freshly started engine :shock: prefered to let in run a while before giving it some stick to make sure all was well. Plus I will need an extra pair of hands to keep the revs steady leaving me two hands to set the gun and tweek the dizzy.
I don't think it will be too far out but aiming for 30deg and see what I get out on the road.

Got my father in law round to give me hand with the timing, got him on the throttle and crank it up to just over 3000 rpm and keep it there. Set the gun up to 30 deg and found the engine running slightly retarded. Advanced it up to the mark and when it fell back it was bang on 10 deg at idle @ around 850 ish rpm, that'll do me ;)
Runs sweet now and idles smooth, also blowing a lot cooler from the exhaust too which is good :D

One heater cable to fit tomoz and a few other little jobs, and a ball joint when I get back to work should have it sorted for volksworld and then our French trip.

I''ve really enjoyed the engine change and well pleased with the outcome :D

Got the little jobs done and also noted I have a far more efficient heating system too :D blows well from the screen vent and even at idle it is much improved.
I still think I will be fiddling with the timing and carb just to see what effect it has. As it stands though its far more responsive than the old engine and tugged up a pretty long steep hill near me at 50mph without pushing it. So guess I can't ask for too much more. Racked up 130 miles already :shock:

So what next? I have been toying with fetching the old girl down a bit, not too much mind. Spindles and horse shoe plates seem about the best option as they retain the stock ride. Some plans laid already but temporaraly need to get the ball joint done this week.

nice work mate ...yeh iam going for drop spindles and horse shoe plates and they seem to be one of the best options....o and check your pm 8)

Latest posts